It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple admits to slowing older iPhones.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Apple admits slowing older iPhones, says it's to prevent battery issues.

If you think your older iPhone seems to run slower, you're not crazy. Apple on Wednesday said a software feature released last year makes your phone operate more slowly to offset problems with its aging lithium ion battery.

More info can be found at the link.

For those of you who thought you were "going crazy" because your precious iphone got much slower, guess what.

YOURE NOT CRAZY.

Of-course this isnt because Apple wants you to buy a new phone, heck no.

Theyre doing it because its for your own good and because they love you.

edit on 21-12-2017 by gladtobehere because: title

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:07 AM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

My partner and I have had Galaxyx for years. We now have the 8s, fantastic phone. Its my first new phone in almost 4 years. Never had any trouble with our Galaxy 5s. It was a great phone too.

My friend just switched from IPHONE 6 to Galaxy 8 Note, he said to me he wished he had done it along time ago.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:09 AM
link   
honestly lithium ion batteries can be a ticking time bomb. im guessing theyve found that if they reduce the draw on the battery it can significantly decrease dendrite growth within the cell. i tend to side with people who think its being done to urge customers to upgrade though

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I was waiting for someone to post this story, I hate throttling. Luckily, it seems like Apple was doing it for a good reason this time. I currently have an iPhone 5 and it runs fine for me.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I'm getting an iPhone for xmas this year,i think an iPhone 7,to use as an art studio.I will be using my old Galaxy J1 for comms as normal.The iPhone is literally just going to be used for create art with all the cool iPhone art apps.Seems a bit of a luxury but in recent years i have not asked hubby for much beyond some beers,incense and some necessary clothing,with usually just a bottle of my fave perfume for b-days and xmas.I am not a high maintenance type of gal,cause i don't need much to be happy.Guess that's why he indulged me when i asked for this,in my country those iPhones are helluva expensive.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Of-course this isnt because Apple wants you to buy a new phone, heck no.

Theyre doing it because its for your own good and because they love you.

Older Mac Minis are just on the edge of incompatibility with the newest Hi Sierra OS release. Another version away from obsolescence. Replacing them is about a thousand dollars each for top end model.

BTW, is that a real world Apple 'church' in OP or CGI?

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   
capitalism is great isnt it?
/s
edit on 21-12-2017 by humanoidlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I'll never own an iphone, or any other apple product for that matter.

The sole reason to degrade performance of old phones is to get customers to buy new ones. Don't for one second believe otherwise, that would be extremely naive.

They are a brilliant company though, look at those profits and cash flows. It takes a masterful mind to convince consumers that cheap chinese electronics are "scarce" and craft such an amazing "supply" and demand model.

Found a longer version, I loved this episode. Spot on with the "is there any left".

edit on 21-12-2017 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Why not just create upgrade software that detects and alerts the owner of the phone that the battery is no longer functioning within acceptable limits and should be replaced as soon as possible? People get their batteries replaced all the time and it’s not that big a deal.

Seems to me like one helluva roundabout way of approaching a bad battery problem.

I have an iPhone SE that still works great and now I’m wondering how long I can go without updating. What a bitch.

Don’t know if it will do any good, but Apple will be hearing from me about this one.

ETA: And another thing, every time I get an update notice from Apple, it includes language that informs the user of what things are being fixed and/or improved with the particular update.

Funny, I don’t remember ever seeing anything about slowing down my phone’s functions to preserve my battery life. Maybe they just forgot to mention it? I don’t think so.
edit on 21-12-2017 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Let the battery fail since all hardware eventually fails. My problem is software that messes with the hardware so customers buy a new phone. Glad I decided to buy an android.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Maybe if the battery was easily removed/replaced, this wouldn't be an issue.

F apple, and what they've done to the cellphone industry.
F samsung for following in their footsteps.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

It is greed,plain and simple.Selling phones with irreplacable batteries brings in more bucks than selling phones with replacable ones.Business sense or greed,take your pick.I call it greed.But they don't force you at gunpoint to buy their product,so in the end the power does lay with the consumer,to purchase or not.I expect my iPhone to last a long time,because it will be used only for the art apps.My Samsung J1 which i will be using for comms as usual,have a replaceable battery,and if those batteries become unavailable,i will purchase any cheapy type phone that is enabled for net browsing.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:12 AM
link   
i've never owned a single apple product and i never will. let alone queue overnight to pay through the nose for the privilege.
their technologically- isolationist philosophy stinks.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Still on the Note 4, what a fantastic phone. It, along with the LG V20, might be the last, great smartphones.

The fact you cannot change your own batteries on these smartphones is a dealbreaker for me.

Not sure what I'm going to do as far as a new one but for now the Note 4 (with it's 8-cores and 4gb of RAM) is STILL doing just fine. Sure, it's a little slower than normal, but I'm on battery #3 now. It's literally lasted 3 times longer than any sealed phone could simply because I can change my battery.

Try getting over a days' use on a single charge on ANY phone made in 2014 without changing the battery. Not going to happen!

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I really have no idea why people keep buying into Apple. The company is the seat of avarice. They make obscene profits, kill the opposition, produce a dependency on them for upgrades and software, and are essentially exploitative of trust.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

What cracked me up was the Occupy (whatever) crowd whining about corporate greed and obscene profits, sitting there using their Macs or iPhones.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Tempter
Still on the Note 4, what a fantastic phone. It, along with the LG V20, might be the last, great smartphones.

The fact you cannot change your own batteries on these smartphones is a dealbreaker for me.

Not sure what I'm going to do as far as a new one but for now the Note 4 (with it's 8-cores and 4gb of RAM) is STILL doing just fine. Sure, it's a little slower than normal, but I'm on battery #3 now. It's literally lasted 3 times longer than any sealed phone could simply because I can change my battery.

Try getting over a days' use on a single charge on ANY phone made in 2014 without changing the battery. Not going to happen!

I liked my Note 4, when all the new phones came out I'd compare it to the note 4(spec wise) and never had a need to upgrade.

Sadly, I lost my note 4 due to verizon's incompetence. Back when their network slowed to a crawl and I was dealing with jurassic internet speeds. They replaced my phone for free, stating that it must be the problem, because their network was "fine". Well they sent me a galaxy S5(free), speed still sucked. Turns out they just had congestion and didn't want to be straight about it. If I had known, I'd have just toughed it out with my Note 4.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Apple is an absolute ripoff scam company. There's no logical reason whatsoever to buy an iPhone. My 3 year old android phone has some better specs than the latest iPhone (let alone the newest android phones which absolutely put the iPhone to shame in every area), and it costs like $230 brand new, compared to iPhone's $1,000. Oh yeah, and the screen is shatter-proof, which I've found out myself after literally throwing it on the floor and it not having a dent on it.
You're welcome to check for yourself:

Droid Turbo: (came out 3 years ago)
Price: $229
Display: 1440x2560 @ 556 ppi
RAM: Exactly the same, 3 GB
Battery: 3,900 mAh
Talk time: 48 hours
Camera: 21 MP

iPhone X: (came out not even 2 months ago)
Price: $999
Display: 1125 x 2436 @458 ppi
RAM: Exactly the same, 3 GB
Battery: 2,716 mAh
Talk time: 21 hours
Camera: 12 MP

Everything Apple makes is a ripoff of technology that already existed in earlier android phones. They just claim it's their own technology and slap an Apple logo on it and then sell it for an exorbitant price, and people buy it up. I can't even remember how many times Apple came out with some brand new thing that has actually already existed for years.

I remember talking to iPhone users and asking them why they love the iPhone. The conversation would always go like this:
iPhone user: "Well I love it because it does this"
Me: "Android phones do that too"
iPhone user: "Well it does this too"
Me: "Android phones have done that for years"
iPhone user: "Well it's easy to use, if I want to exit an app I can just press this home button"
Me: "Yeah, Android phones have home buttons too"
iPhone user: "Well android phones are garbage, I'd never use one if you paid me!"
edit on 12/21/2017 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

Funny you mention Verizon. I had a Samsung a while back. The battery was going bad. I went to Verizon and was told that I could have a brand new phone if I just got a new plan that gave up my unlimited data plan. I declined and paid to have the battery replaced. That was on a Tuesday. On Thursday I woke up smelling something burning and saw my phone melting on the counter top. I took it back to Verizon and they offered a new phone again at the cost of my unlimited data or I could pay full price for a new phone. I told them where they could put their plan and cancelled my service. Since I had already paid for the current month, I got a refund check for the balance a week later. Two months later I got a bill for $200 because they said that I cancelled early. I had a two year plan for four years, go figure.

posted on Dec, 21 2017 @ 11:48 AM
link   

BTW , I don't think its only Apple. I don't buy any apple products and my phone are android based.

However,I have always noticed my samsung phones typically slow down when the new HOT samsung phone comes out . I haven't looked further into it , to find out if it was google,samsung, or att

I know there are performance fragmentation issues with some of the older androids but this is not the issue with these phones.

I just experienced this again recently when my new phone cracked and I had to use my old note 3 temporarily. I restored it and it ran fine until I got some ATT updates and now its running super slow.

Its after getting updates from att that they slow down.
The question is whether att or samsung directly is adding something a little special to slow you down for your own benefit , in order to make it easier for you to fork out another 800 bucks on a new shiny phone?

This is another reason why I hate MS windows forced updates as well.

edit on 531231America/ChicagoThu, 21 Dec 2017 11:53:02 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join