It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bitcoin: $64m in cryptocurrency stolen in 'sophisticated' hack, exchange says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Nearly $64m in bitcoin has been stolen by hackers who broke into Slovenian-based bitcoin mining marketplace NiceHash.

The marketplace suspended operations on Thursday while it investigated the breach, saying it was working with law enforcement as “a matter of urgency” while urging users to change their passwords.

The hack was “a highly professional attack with sophisticated social engineering” that resulted in approximately 4,700 bitcoin being stolen, worth about $63.92m at current prices

Cashless society and cryptocurrencies - let's just switch the global economy to pixie dust. Much safer and so on...

edit on 7-12-2017 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

The 11 Biggest Cryptocurrency Hacks In History

That list does not include the hack of this OP as it dates from mid November!
edit on 7-12-2017 by MindBodySpiritComplex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: MindBodySpiritComplex

Thanks for this good news! I love it hearing about greedy people getting what they deserve.

...goes off whistling Dixie.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   
This is the one downside of electronic currency that will plague it.

I don't believe bitcoin will be the end-all be-all currency. I believe it is a proving ground to see what can happen when the people want something to exist. It will only fall when regulators get their hands on it and try to make it theirs.

Unfortunately, that time is coming.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

Thanks for this good news! I love it hearing about greedy people getting what they deserve.

So wait ! you prefer the banking and monetary system as it is now??? I mean it's unfortunate, that there are security holes and all , but I wouldn't call folk who buy or mined bitcoins greedy.
And this being a conspiracy site I wouldn't be surprised if this was clap back from banks who hated the fact that folks can go around them and their bull snip.
edit on 7-12-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Yeah, except bitcoin is often used to perform good works.

An example is a well digging foundation being run in the congo, who have approximately 65,000 dollars in bitcoin waiting to mature, before they cash it in, and build another twenty four or so wells, on top of the seventy they have already dug, using local knowledge, and cash donated from western societies.

Also, bitcoin is helpful to small businesses in smaller countries with smaller economies, because it means that commerce can be conducted outside of the traditional financial system, allowing small businesses in small economies to counter large monopolies, by way of not having to secure large sums of physical currency, and also not having to deal so much with their government, in order to operate simple, locally vital businesses.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: havok
I believe it is a proving ground to see what can happen when the people want something to exist.

Could you explain what this “something”!is?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I bet the thieves, hackers, were paid by some banksters, to make the people think and feel that the legal bankster system is the only one "clean" and safe system people need to use!

Because Bitcoin get´s to great and the banksters are afraid to lose 1% of their profit now. And at the end everything!
That´s the problem of greedy exploiters, they want more and more and more and to be the only one that fools the people, to make all the profits alone!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

I believe it is a proving ground to see what can happen when the people want something to exist.

May I interject??..a cashless society free of govt interference.
edit on 7-12-2017 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   

The thing I don't get though is what can these hackers do with bitcoin? They can't resell it can they? Not if it's traced? They would have to spend it and also would have to use fake accounts most likely to spend it. Just speculating here.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Can’t they just trace the block chains that were stolen ??? And won’t they come up as such?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879

May I interject??..a cashless society free of govt interference.
now put that into context.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Will be hard to find the identity but it all looks to being the actual owners who scammed the miners and people paying for miners time

I expect the missing money will be bounced around in the deep web, perhaps might become drug money again

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:06 AM
link   

A "fiat" currency.
Bitcoin is more than a currency.
It's an idea.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:08 AM
link   

A "fiat" currency.
Bitcoin is more than a currency.
It's an idea.

Bitcoin is far to volatile to be a currency

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Revolution9

With all due respect, that might be the dumbest thing ever read.

Please explain.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Govt, cannot freeze accounts, Banks cannot charge you an arm and a leg in transfer fees, not walking around with wads of cash bulging out of your wallet.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Better than allowing the banksters to manipulate your money and economies.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Volatile in a good way.

It turns into more money!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:37 AM
link   
If this worries you, I wouldn't dare peek at the financial cybercrime stats.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Yep, that's what I'd do if I was hacker.

Open a exchange out of country.

"sorry guys, these sophisticated hackers stole your cash"

lol, rrrrrr right

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join