It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Out of Control Facebook

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Could that have been based on your approximate location?
I don't know how it works, just wondering.
I leave my location thing turned off but I've heard that it doesn't make any difference.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I remember something from some years ago. Two buddies were playing on a xbox console which had a headset attached, with mic switched on. They stopped playing, forgot to close the mic but shutted down that console. Then they talked about something(can´t remember what exactly it was) and the next day, when the owner started his xbox and went online, he was bombed with ads of exactly that stuff they talked about when they thought they were alone.

Almost exactly what happened to you, just that it has been a while ago.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

I have my locator turned off unless I am actively navigating (one of the benefits of being me, is that I rarely require a map or compass to know my rough location, especially in places which have landmarks with which I am familiar, London being such a place by way of media coverage and my infrequent visits there. Once I have been to a place, I rarely forget its structure in a broad sense).

I did use google navigation to reach the street on which this bar happened to be, but turned it off immediately upon arrival.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Never install Facebook Messenger. It listens. Even on the older Kindle tablets that don't use a mic for any other functions.

Install no root firewall, and select log tab, and prepare to be surprised at the amount of computers your phone connects to.

The biggest one on there is usually Amazon AWS.

Get serious about your permission settings, but don't trust them to all be posted, firewall that device.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Welcome to the new age.

This kind of thing has been going on for a verry long time. It is written in to the t&c of most social media sites, entertainment systems and high tech devices. They hear your phone calls, see your texts and posts, and anilise your web browser history.

Don't believe me? One of these evenings sit down with a beer (or what ever you perfer) and read the t&c for facebook in full. If you complete this reading and do not feel disturbed then you are a braver person then I.

FYI- any "smart" device can hear what you are saying even when it is turned off and will target information at you even if you do not use social media.

Happy distopia!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:22 AM
link   
A year or two ago, the wife and I bought a humidifier at Home Depot or Lowes. Never searched on line prior. We leave the store and all of a sudden humidifer pop-up ads are on my wife's phone. She is like WTF?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:29 AM
link   
And people can't figure out why I took the time to open up my laptop when I bought it and physically disconnected the mic and webcam from the motherboard. Invasive s# like this (and hacker potential) is why, folks.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:37 AM
link   
About 9ish years ago I was going to this community college where I had a college email address with various college-related contacts and whatnot. I stopped going there, and as the years passed, I got a totally new computer, new hard drives, new phone, everything. One day I decided to install one of those private messaging apps just to check it out and see what all the buzz was. At this point, I was using devices and hardware which have never been in any way connected to the devices or hardware I used the last time I accessed that college email account. Well, the app in question auto-populated contacts for me from several of my accounts... Including that old college email account. What's more, it wasn't just saved contacts - it was everyone who I'd ever sent an email to or received an email from. I didn't even link it to any email address or phone number, it just did it on its own. To this day, I have no idea how.
But yeah, I routinely see ads within apps on my phone for things I've recently seen online on my computer, despite never using Google and having browser extensions that block anything from tracking me.

What you need to take from this is the assumption that EVERYTHING you do online (or even offline) is permanently saved and stored somewhere, and that every conversation you have near any smartphone, smart tv, or smart device period is being recorded.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: proteus33

Thats why millions of people are putting tape over all their devices' webcams and mics nows its been realized even when OFF....they can and are being activate (no light ON) at will by T.P.T.B.

Do a search....shocking...and we continue to buy "conveniences" to make our lives simpler to run our homes, cars...and children. Its gonna get us.....

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: skunkape23

Some of us have family and friends spread across the country or globe.

It's a very useful tool for that reason.

So was writing letters and phone calls.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

originally posted by: abe froman
a reply to: skunkape23

Some of us have family and friends spread across the country or globe.

It's a very useful tool for that reason.

So was writing letters and phone calls.

Remember pen-pals? Obsessively checking the mailbox every day while waiting 1 or 2 weeks for a reply letter from your pen-pal across the ocean, or a month for a reply letter from some even more far-flung corner of the planet? I remember that. Pepperidge Farm remembers that.

They were actually good times, the rise of email ruined that learned patience

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Might explain the Russian hooker ads I'm seeing lately.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:37 AM
link   
This is crazy, but it sounds like it is true that Google and other companies listen to your conversations in order to gain information for advertising. Hopefully, the government doesn't use it for surveillance.

According to a recent Reuters review of Westlaw’s legal database, police warrants for Facebook data is very common, and becoming only more so.

The first question you’d ask is, “can police really do that?” The short answer is “yes.” As long as there is probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed, law enforcement will probably be able to get a warrant to search through a user’s Facebook data.

Technically, there still needs to be probable cause that evidence of such a crime could be found on Facebook, but with how much personal information the general populace shares on Facebook today, a warrant would rarely be denied on these grounds. In addition, neither Facebook nor the state need inform the user of the warrant.

[blog.legalsolutions.thomsonreuters.com...]FACEBOOK AND POLICE WARRANTS: CAN THEY REALLY DO THAT?[/url]

It looks like the government doesn't do roving surveillance of "masked" conversations only to unmask ones with criminal activity. But they can get a warrant, and with it, a lot of information!

A search warrant is by far the most comprehensive legal course law enforcement can take in acquiring your private information. It delivers content on just about everything you’ve ever done on the website. Facebook is required to hand over a full archive of activity, messages, photos, internal site browsing history, events, shares, and your friends list—for each supplying location data and a time stamp when available. Search warrants are by far the most common course for the government and make up 58 percent of all requests, or 13,742 in the first half of this year.

[www.dailydot.com...]Does Facebook require police to prove they have a right to access user data?[/url]
edit on 07amThu, 07 Dec 2017 10:45:35 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 07amThu, 07 Dec 2017 10:46:32 -0600kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:58 AM
link   

My smart phone lives in the kitchen drawer on vibrate at night but during the day it gets out to be near the radio but these ads that people talk about baffle me as they never seem to bother me at all

I keep a old phone for going out that is only a 2 g phone and have owned for 18 years nothing fancy ,But good luck all those people that use Fakebook and Google as they follow you around like a stalker even when turned off , i change my number on my old phone every 2 months and get paid to do it with free credit

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Facebook "listens", and you have agreed to let them do so.

From the perspective of a business person, I love that FB has so much information that they can use to filter out an audience for my ads. It makes my ad spend much, much more potent.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   
there is a facebook adblocker. i use adblocker on everything. some websites say, 'you cannot see content' but then i use nuke anything to just delete that warning.

all of these addons from mozilla. so basically i use mozilla to surf the web lol.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

This TED talk from last week creeped me out a bit. It relates to how FB and Google/YT influences us without any editorial or human intent.

Seriously though, experiment by speaking on certain subjects and comparing the ads you get delivered. Believe it or not, I'm not totally dismissive and have a genuine curiosity about all of it. I don't do FB and have my browsers packed with various ad-blockers so adverts aren't a big part of my internet experience.

PrivacyBadger is an app not many have heard of. It's good.

I watched that a few days ago and thought it was worthy of some further research and then making a thread about it. Everyone should listen to that entire talk.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: muzzleflash

originally posted by: Kandinsky

This TED talk from last week creeped me out a bit. It relates to how FB and Google/YT influences us without any editorial or human intent.

Seriously though, experiment by speaking on certain subjects and comparing the ads you get delivered. Believe it or not, I'm not totally dismissive and have a genuine curiosity about all of it. I don't do FB and have my browsers packed with various ad-blockers so adverts aren't a big part of my internet experience.

PrivacyBadger is an app not many have heard of. It's good.

I watched that a few days ago and thought it was worthy of some further research and then making a thread about it. Everyone should listen to that entire talk.

You know what got me about it? Nothing will change. Those algorithms will be getting better and tighter until most of us will be getting spoon-fed and lose the need for our teeth.

It could be like an echo chamber in a Panopticon. Truly dystopic!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 04:16 PM
link   
On the iPhone there is an update for Facebook and Facebook Messenger every week. I figure that's when they download everything you've done and said. There is no other reason for so many updates.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Now that's messed up! I do recall, though, that someone posted about FB having conditions that included using one's camera and microphone, and being able to turn itself on, on cell phones, so likely the same on a tablet! That's your most likely spy, right there!! Did you have FB running when talking to her, or the tablet nearby? Perhaps it was running on it's own.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join