It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

17-foot python... ...caught in Everglades

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   
The full title of the article wouldn't fit, but allow me to share it here: 17-foot python that could 'pretty much kill any full-grown man' caught in Everglades

I mean, someone has to do it because real predators are roaming the Everglades & increasingly moving north due to over-population, but these crazies who hunt these monster snakes are, well....crazy!

A 17 foot, 132 pound Burmese python. Most likely someone's ex-pet lol. But I think they need to remeasure...that looks longer than 17 feet!!!!--maybe they ran out of tape-measure--lmao

Now get this:

Launched in March, the South Florida Water Management District’s python elimination program pays hunters $8.10 an hour. It then pays an extra $50 for a 4-foot snake and $25 for each additional foot beyond that.

For this python, Leon and the two other hunters will reportedly get $375.

HOT DAMN, THATS IT???? That catch should at least be worth a grand. A few boots, belts and hats can be made from the skin. Maybe they do sell it on top of getting a small reward + an hourly rate.

Hunting monsters in the Everglades....HELL NO! I'll keep my day job!

Source

edit on 1854x6718America/ChicagovAmerica/Chicago12 by six67seven because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I would let them grow for a while and then go after them. Sweeten the deal a little.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
They should cook it up Jamaican Jerk style.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: SR1TX

or better yet breed them and release them to increase the fear and hazard pay.

i wouldnt be surprised if this program actually increases the population.

however how much do you get if you catch a politician?
edit on 021231America/ChicagoWed, 06 Dec 2017 22:02:02 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

It clearly is the basis for reality TV show.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:12 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

i am strongly in favor of eating any invasive species.

wild boar is yummy.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

"Snake Trappers" on History Channel.

posted on Dec, 6 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: chelsdh
a reply to: dfnj2015

"Snake Trappers" on History Channel.

Monster Quest as well. Same channel I think.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Throw it in the gumbo.

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 03:13 AM
link   
on the topic of invasive species erradication , what would e the legality of :

sending battalions or companies of US military units out on obstensibly navigation exercises across a swathe of land - with the " bonus " of crates of beer back at camp for each python they bring back ?

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 07:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
A 17 foot, 132 pound Burmese python. Most likely someone's ex-pet lol. But I think they need to remeasure...that looks longer than 17 feet!!!!--maybe they ran out of tape-measure--lmao

There should never be a 132 pound snake anywhere in this world.. ever.

Imagine what he had to eat in order to get that size. Florida is now officially off my list of places to move to.

Thanks!
blend

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: six67seven
The full title of the article wouldn't fit, but allow me to share it here: 17-foot python that could 'pretty much kill any full-grown man' caught in Everglades

I mean, someone has to do it because real predators are roaming the Everglades & increasingly moving north due to over-population, but these crazies who hunt these monster snakes are, well....crazy!

Now get this:

Launched in March, the South Florida Water Management District’s python elimination program pays hunters $8.10 an hour. It then pays an extra $50 for a 4-foot snake and $25 for each additional foot beyond that.

For this python, Leon and the two other hunters will reportedly get $375.

HOT DAMN, THATS IT???? That catch should at least be worth a grand. A few boots, belts and hats can be made from the skin. Maybe they do sell it on top of getting a small reward + an hourly rate.

Hunting monsters in the Everglades....HELL NO! I'll keep my day job!

Source

I lived in Coral Gables (Miami) in the 70's, and the everglades were being encroached upon by westward moving suburbs. Alligators were coming up the canals and into the backs of homes and neighborhoods.

I once saw a half-eaten german shepard(I think?) floating under a canal bridge behind Dadeland Mall. Now these things! Jeez!!!!

posted on Dec, 7 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: six67seven

That is one massive snake! Those things are all over Florida, and a real menace.

I agree; the pay is too low. Should be more per hour, because that's dangerous work, and they are a serious problem for the local wildlife, and a threat to people as well.

top topics

join