It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tool talk with Nonspecific.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The nights draw in fast this time of year and ATS seemes to have slowed a little in the kind of things I usually like to talk about so I thought I would start a little place to talk about tools. I love tools, always have. I think of anything that is used to make something as a tool so weather it be for woodworking, metal working, fixing engines, cooking or prepearing foods, crafting, building or anything that can be used to do stuff this is the place to be.

I love tools maybe more than anything else when I think about it, having something that can be used to make something either to save money or to take pride in or help out a fellow man is very important to me. The world we live in is built on reliance on society and consumerism so the feeling that you are a little safer with the right tools for the job is important.

I had a lot of my tools stolen a few years ago but am slowly building back up, mostly woodworking as it is what I do day to day but stuff like welders and chainsaws are now sat waiting for their time to shine.

My soon to be inlaws have a farm with stuff like car ramps and plasma cutters and about every tool you would need so if I don't have a tool yet I can go over and use theirs which is handy.

So are there any other tool nuts about? want to show off a prized saw or your new socket set or even ask an opinion about a future purchace?

Agustus told me I was sad for suggesting a thread like this but I stopped drinking and it gets a little boring in the evenings these days.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Yeah, but Augustus is kind of a tool himself so shake that aspect off, Non.

edit on 20-11-2017 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

For non-tool folks, what (in your opinion) are the essential must-have tools that everyone should own?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

For non-tool folks, what (in your opinion) are the essential must-have tools that everyone should own?

That is an interesting question as I think everyone should have ALL the tools lol.

For general DIY a decent toolbox with the basics like spanners and screwdrivers everyone should have if they want to be at least a bit self reliant.

One big mistake I see often is folks buying cordless power tools when they don't need them and are paying over the odds an expensive battery.

I have about 6 18v cordless drills, some of which costs hundreds new but at home I nearly always use a crappy old black and decker corded drill at home as they have more power and extension cables mean that the buggering about with batteries and stuff makes it pointless.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:47 AM
link   

This thread is relevant to my interests.

You, being an aficionado of the tool realm, will probably laugh at this, but the tool I get the most use out of, is a 4v Worx Q-Bit multi-head screwdriver.

While it may appear like its the most gimmicky, trashy piece of trash ever (which I can understand from its appearance), this little tool has saved me BOATLOADS of time in the five or so years I have owned one. For all that it looks like the answer to a question no one was asking, the fact that I can have this on my tool belt or in my bag, and have access to the ability to remove many screws in the time it takes to remove just one, means that when out on jobs, or performing routine maintenance about the store, I can get work done faster, with less effort, without having to resort to carrying a full sized 18v cordless drill, with adapter.

Its a neat, small package, that performs its intended function really very well indeed.

Having six driver heads on board, and an easy system for changing them (which does not require the heads to be removed or manually placed inside the thing, just index a cylinder until the correct head is in place), makes jobs that would be time consuming and aggravating just on that basis alone, hundreds of times faster and easier to complete, leaving me, the operator free to use my brain to do diagnostics on broken lock parts and troubleshoot failing systems and mechanisms, rather than worry about where my driver bits are, which ones I have with me, and things like that.

Its been invaluable to me over the years I have owned it, and has stood up to every bit of punishment I have thrown at it in that time. I honestly thought when I got it, that it was going to be a pile of parts inside a month. Years later, and its still the one tool I ALWAYS carry on my person while about the business of my trade. Bloody fantastic little thing.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I got a lot of tools, I have a complete body shop, two commercial floor jacks, a lift, and all sorts of welders and that sort of stuff. I also have a whole lot of construction tools and a big woodshop. Now I am sixty one and I am wondering what the hell I was doing with my toolaholic obsessions. I have the tools to compact and powertrowel a big cement floor, and everything needed to finish the floor and lay blocks and bricks. Well, I did own a construction company and I do like working on cars.

I am very impatient if I do not have the right tool for the right job. I did learn one thing though, when you buy a tool, you have to use it to justify your purchase. I learned to do a lot of different kinds of work that way. Now I have all that experience but no drive anymore, the epilepsy does not help.

I wore out two chainsaws this year, the one I bought when I was twenty, what a pile of crap, it only lasted me forty years, it should have gone another ten anyway. That poulan saw cut ten times more wood than my Husky 61 did before it croaked.

I even have an engine puller and a transmission jack, also I have an engine stand. I just don't have kids that are interested in that kind of stuff anymore to teach. I could put my grandkids into a few businesses, I even own a commercial building they could start a restaurant or small market in right downtown.

My daughter and granddaughter both want to do things in my woodshop, I will have to teach them how to use the tools though. Most of the tools are older, some have guards, others don't have required tool guards that are necessary today. I have two shopsmiths, three planers four jointers, two radial arms, two bandsaws, two scroll saws, two heavy duty router tables and routers, and nail and brad guns and a bunch more. Even a three foot open end sander.

No, I do not have an obsession with tools. I now have bought a lot of the high quality kitchen tools to use since I cook more now instead of doing the other stuff. I even bought a commercial electric stove with two natural convection ovens and a thirty inch griddle on it, I need to install that but the hood system means I need to remodel the kitchen to get that huge stove in.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

This thread is relevant to my interests.

You, being an aficionado of the tool realm, will probably laugh at this, but the tool I get the most use out of, is a 4v Worx Q-Bit multi-head screwdriver.

While it may appear like its the most gimmicky, trashy piece of trash ever (which I can understand from its appearance), this little tool has saved me BOATLOADS of time in the five or so years I have owned one. For all that it looks like the answer to a question no one was asking, the fact that I can have this on my tool belt or in my bag, and have access to the ability to remove many screws in the time it takes to remove just one, means that when out on jobs, or performing routine maintenance about the store, I can get work done faster, with less effort, without having to resort to carrying a full sized 18v cordless drill, with adapter.

Its a neat, small package, that performs its intended function really very well indeed.

Having six driver heads on board, and an easy system for changing them (which does not require the heads to be removed or manually placed inside the thing, just index a cylinder until the correct head is in place), makes jobs that would be time consuming and aggravating just on that basis alone, hundreds of times faster and easier to complete, leaving me, the operator free to use my brain to do diagnostics on broken lock parts and troubleshoot failing systems and mechanisms, rather than worry about where my driver bits are, which ones I have with me, and things like that.

Its been invaluable to me over the years I have owned it, and has stood up to every bit of punishment I have thrown at it in that time. I honestly thought when I got it, that it was going to be a pile of parts inside a month. Years later, and its still the one tool I ALWAYS carry on my person while about the business of my trade. Bloody fantastic little thing.

I actually agree with you on that mate. Although Worx is a crap brand and those little low voltage screwdrivers are never going to compete with a decent 18v impact driver for little screws they are great as fit in the pocket as you say and weigh next to nothing.

I have a little 3.6v Dewalt screwdriver and for little jobs like flat pack assembly fitting hinges or into pre drilled holes it is fantastic. The big 18v stuff gets heavy really quick but the little ones save your aching muscles after a while.

Saying that I had a go on a Milwalke 12v drill/impact set a few weeks ago and the power/weight ratio and brushless motor with a pair of 2ah batteries for about 160 quid makes me want a set as they are an ideal middle ground kit.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   
My favorite tools are the legacy tools that have been handed down and given to me by my father and grand father.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

What I love most about it is, that it came with all the heads that I routinely need in my trade, all on board from the get go. Even the hex head driver in there was the perfect size to deal with many heads I come across in a days work.

See, lock strips are funny things. Often, to remove a lock strip from the door, requires many pozi head screws to be removed. But to remove the gearboxes from the strip can sometimes require a hex head, and to undo the Euro Profile cylinders retaining screw sometimes needs a slotted head. To have them all on that one tool, without having to root through my kit bag, is really handy, and allows me to keep concentrating on the task at hand, rather than the location of my bits box.

You don't always need all the power of an angry god in your fist to get the job done, and this tool shows why.

I will never buy anything else from Worx though. I have heard awful, awful things!

edit on 20-11-2017 by TrueBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I got a lot of tools, I have a complete body shop, two commercial floor jacks, a lift, and all sorts of welders and that sort of stuff. I also have a whole lot of construction tools and a big woodshop. Now I am sixty one and I am wondering what the hell I was doing with my toolaholic obsessions. I have the tools to compact and powertrowel a big cement floor, and everything needed to finish the floor and lay blocks and bricks. Well, I did own a construction company and I do like working on cars.

I am very impatient if I do not have the right tool for the right job. I did learn one thing though, when you buy a tool, you have to use it to justify your purchase. I learned to do a lot of different kinds of work that way. Now I have all that experience but no drive anymore, the epilepsy does not help.

I wore out two chainsaws this year, the one I bought when I was twenty, what a pile of crap, it only lasted me forty years, it should have gone another ten anyway. That poulan saw cut ten times more wood than my Husky 61 did before it croaked.

I even have an engine puller and a transmission jack, also I have an engine stand. I just don't have kids that are interested in that kind of stuff anymore to teach. I could put my grandkids into a few businesses, I even own a commercial building they could start a restaurant or small market in right downtown.

My daughter and granddaughter both want to do things in my woodshop, I will have to teach them how to use the tools though. Most of the tools are older, some have guards, others don't have required tool guards that are necessary today. I have two shopsmiths, three planers four jointers, two radial arms, two bandsaws, two scroll saws, two heavy duty router tables and routers, and nail and brad guns and a bunch more. Even a three foot open end sander.

No, I do not have an obsession with tools. I now have bought a lot of the high quality kitchen tools to use since I cook more now instead of doing the other stuff. I even bought a commercial electric stove with two natural convection ovens and a thirty inch griddle on it, I need to install that but the hood system means I need to remodel the kitchen to get that huge stove in.

You sound like you are where I will be in 20 years time!

I know what you mean about the older tools and saftey though. I am happy to let most people have a lesson and a go with most power tools but my radial arm saw, possibly my favorite and commonly used saw is unbraked and has no guard. Added to the fact that as a radial arm it spins the other way and can kick forward and no one but me is allowed to use it unless they have one of their own and fully understand what they are doing.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Oh, and by the way, if we are also permitted to talk about tools we would like...

I would like a six foot long, by three foot wide, by eight inch deep forge, and the space and necessary ventilation to use it. Old school style of course, with hand pump billows, burning wood and coke, not gas of any kind. And an anvil, of course, couple of good hammers. I would also like a flipping great big belt sanding machine.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit
Oh, and by the way, if we are also permitted to talk about tools we would like...

I would like a six foot long, by three foot wide, by eight inch deep forge, and the space and necessary ventilation to use it. Old school style of course, with hand pump billows, burning wood and coke, not gas of any kind. And an anvil, of course, couple of good hammers. I would also like a flipping great big belt sanding machine.

A forge is on my "one day" list but maybe not as old school as you, I have the plans for a blower that uses a car turbo and a 12v motor somewhere and the space to build a little smith shop.

Anvils are expensive though but maybe one day I will find one cheap enough.....

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Damn. I thought this was going to be about the band.

My favorite tools are the legacy tools that have been handed down and given to me by my father and grand father.

I wish I had some of those. My brother got them when my Grandfather died. He lived down home, I was in Ontario. Cases and cases of tools. IDK how many cases. A dozen? Maybe more.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
Damn. I thought this was going to be about the band.

I wish I had some of those. My brother got them when my Grandfather died. He lived down home, I was in Ontario. Cases and cases of tools. IDK how many cases. A dozen? Maybe more.

The best thing about inherited or old tools is the quality compared to what you get today.

I have hand planes and saws that I picked up at boot sales for pence that are far better quality both in the metal used and craftsmanship than you could ever get new unless you are selling kidneys to but them.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Yes. DB raises an excellent question.

Also, what tools do you recommend for those of us not blessed with opposable thumbs?

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:20 PM
link   

It's not just the tools though. It's the memories of Grandad teaching you how to use them too.

Can you even buy a hand planer new? Seems like a thing of the past. I've not seen a new one. I'm sure he had tools in there that one would go "WTF is that for?" They went back to just after the war. Probably older ones(then) as well. That was when people fixed things. Not just throw them out and buy a new one. He always complained about that.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Also, what tools do you recommend for those of us not blessed with opposable thumbs?

Or just watch Red Green.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I had a lot of my tools stolen a few years ago

Ah I was going to reply to you about this when I was still on the first paragraph before I even read it. I am not sure if you are into building and tinkering with electronics but I would suggest getting a camera and/or build some sort of contraption to keep your tools safe.

My neighbor across the street had all his tools stolen by another neighbor a few houses over. I am not sure how much if any he got back, but the perps were caught after they pawned some of the stuff. He now has those automatic motion lights outside his garage and also cameras.

I love tools also but I don't have many yet. Slowly building my collection. It is fun to create stuff as you say, for less money and also just the pride in creating something useful. I think crating and building skills should be learned by everyone, at least the basics, because I fear a time will come when they are nesseccary and "back in style". But that is not what this is really about.

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMTAT

Ummm...Duct tape...

Oops...I see Intrepid beat me to it...with the Red Green Comment...

I saw him build a duct tape truck once...too funny...

YouSir
edit on 20-11-2017 by YouSir because: duct tape...

posted on Nov, 20 2017 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: iTruthSeeker

I had a lot of my tools stolen a few years ago

Ah I was going to reply to you about this when I was still on the first paragraph before I even read it. I am not sure if you are into building and tinkering with electronics but I would suggest getting a camera and/or build some sort of contraption to keep your tools safe.

My neighbor across the street had all his tools stolen by another neighbor a few houses over. I am not sure how much if any he got back, but the perps were caught after they pawned some of the stuff. He now has those automatic motion lights outside his garage and also cameras.

I love tools also but I don't have many yet. Slowly building my collection. It is fun to create stuff as you say, for less money and also just the pride in creating something useful. I think crating and building skills should be learned by everyone, at least the basics, because I fear a time will come when they are nesseccary and "back in style". But that is not what this is really about.

My tools were stolen by someone I knew who had a drug habit, such is life.

I am in a different location now and have security measures in place as it hurts a lot when your tools get taken

I agree that we should all know stuff as maybe one day we will not have the easy life we have now and if not it's a lot of fun.

<<   2 >>

join