It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How To React To Getting Robbed At Gunpoint

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:50 AM
link   
This happened to me Wednesday night and while I'm not nearly as mucked up as I was earlier on Thursday it's still fresh and makes me wonder how other people have reacted and dealt with having a gun pulled on them.

I was clearly not myself and so very not "with the program" on Thursday. For me it all happened within, I'd say, thirty seconds. But, it was very obvious to me yesterday that I hadn't gotten over it. I'm pretty sure I'm doing ok at this moment but I'm posting a thread about it so who knows what my mental state really is.

I'm sure someone on ATS has been robbed before so I'm very curious about how other people have dealt with it.

Thanks.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:56 AM
link   
STEP 1

Change underware.

Been there. Not a nice place.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I believe the only advice is to hand over your wallet as quickly as possible and back away?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

I am assuming that you are talking about handling the psychological fall out of having a weapon drawn on you, rather than how to actually handle the situation while it is ongoing?

If that is the case, then the only advice I can give you, is the same as the advice I would give any other person who has been through a traumatic experience. Be around the people who love you, meditate, keep active, do not allow yourself to fear the outdoors, the unknown, or your fellow man. Be stronger than your fear. If you are worried that you are not that strong, get that strong, and accept from yourself no excuses or permission to be anything less than stronger than your fear.

Its a long road to walk, but the exercise will do you good.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I have been robbed, never at gunpoint though.

I didn't fight, I just gave them what they wanted. Now had they wanted something physically or tried to take me somewhere I would have fought and screamed they would have had to take me to the grave with them because I'm never letting someone take me from Point A to Point B if you catch my drift. If you're gonna kill me you're gonna kill me where you found me so my family can find my body.

My father always told me to give up whatever I had and to never carry anything I didn't want to lose in my purse.
Now I only keep my ID, a debit card that can be cancelled if needed, and some makeup in my purse, and the purse is all I have on me when out and about.

I imagine if I am ever robbed and a gun is present my reaction will be the same, my material belongings are not worth my life.

PS i'm sorry to hear you went through such a violent and scary act. I hope you will be able to relax again soon, I bet your nerves were shot.

-Alee

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   

My sister was robbed at gun point at an atm at approx 12:30am after coming home from a night shift.

She used to never lock her car doors, and I constantly warned her about this.

So, she’s at the atm, and a man wearing all back, including ski mask got in her passengers seat, pointed the gun at her and demanded $500, of course atm would only give $300.

She never looked at him, other than the initial entering of her car, and Thank God, he fled after he got the money.

My sister is tough, she graduated the police academy in NJ; but this affected her for some time. She became afraid of people on balconies at her residence, people getting to close to her.

She tried counseling, but the therapist called her by the wrong name during her 3rd visit so she stopped going. To this day she is hyper vigilant.

Sorry this happened to you also.

I’ve had a gun pointed at me once, ex told me I couldn’t leave. You never really get over it. You lose trust in people for sure.

On the bright side, it will be very hard for anyone to sneak up on you ever again.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I can say that I have been robbed at gunpoint many times before I was 18. Each robbery or fight was not a big thing in my life really, only a story that I have I think of, and stay out of the way of areas that you might encounter that kind of stuff..

When I was 18 my last robbery was when I worked at a small chain of convenience stores, at closing time 3 'guys' came in and 1 had a pistol and pulled it on me, then without any warning he shot my manager who stood (doing nothing) about 5 feet away. 2 of the 'guys' tried to make me open the safe, the other dragged the manager into the back leaving a long blood trail. Meanwhile the 2 that were on me made me lay flat on the floor and try and open the safe, which had a KEY...
The key wouldn't work so 1 kept pistol whipping me each time I would look up at him, (I'm stupid, I always look at who I am speaking too) although he had pantyhose over his head. He told me that I had 10 seconds to open it or he was gong to shoot me, which I had no doubt he wouldn't just for fun. Right at about the time that I thought I was a real goner 2 guys (customers) came in and the robbers made them lay down too. That bought me some time and literally saved my life, more than likely. They robbed each of us of our wallets and watches, then it got kind of quiet.

There is a LOT more to this story, but during the entire time I was as calm as I could be, I have no idea as to why, but I was, the 2 guys that were laying beside me weren't.
It all turned out better than I thought it would, but it scarred me until this day, 47 years later each time I walk into ANY place that is small like a convenience store I am ULTRA aware, I trust NO ONE!

If this is what you meant, by asking how we felt and dealt with the aftermath this is how I dealt with it.
I have a funny story that happened to me once years later that was embarrassingly funny.

Anyway, if you were robbed and no actual violence happened I am pretty sure that in time you will get over it. Normally, I would say anyway.
For me, I would say that I have a form of PTSD, of course I had no idea what they called it then, but now after self-diagnosing myself I am 'pretty sure' that I do.

Hopefully this helps!

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:29 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I get you and that's all and well and I WILL NOT be living my life in fear, BUT, I got reprimanded by my boss for mentioning it to a customer today. HE put me in that position and wants to give me crap for being traumatized and who the hell is she to tell me how I react to having my money and wallet stolen by a thug?

Now that I think about, sober and not emotionally, I need to have a talk with my boss and possibly quit the job if he really thinks I shouldn't have a reaction or response to what happened. They have, in the three years I've been there, been willing to take delivery orders from unsavory neighborhoods, especially as I'm white the those places are not white, and yet I'm the one with the problem?

I still don't know if I'm overreacting, underreacting or how I'm supposed to actually feel. I'd like to think I'm doing well with the situation but I don't really know if I am.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Greetings-

I can try and answer coming from a medically retired cop from Ca.

Did You report the incident to the local cops? If "Yes" depending on Your ecological niche, there 'may' be a "Victim's Advocacy Group". When I was working I'd hand the victim(s) pamphlets w/pertinent info. I mention this because besides therapy being offered, they will sometimes pay the victim(s) back and the loss of funds.

In Court(s) You'll sometimes hear "And $500.00 to "Victims of crime..." These fines are there to be used for the victim(s).

I'm also addressing this as a victim of theft. When We moved into the waterfront house, the first weekend after having to put My male Weimaraner down due to an unk. issue (probably poisoned instead) some turd(s) rowed a canoe type boat along the boathouse and then came onto the back porch and stole ALL My Wife's fishing gear. Since that time (3+ years now) I've been "HYPER- Vigilant" While I'm still learning My new male Weimaraner, any noise.

After taking 100s of reports of thefts; burglaries and robberies, I was always sympathetic to victim(s) but until You Yourself is that vic. nobody will know.. Kinda like a "bad back" , unless You Yourself has ever suffered back pain, You'd never really know...

Try and see if there is a Victim's Advocacy Group in Your area. It'll also help in both 'closure' and after a period of reflection, sometimes the description of those turd(s) involved, is increased. Think of the descriptions (Top to bottom) Not necessarily of what they wore at the time of the incident, as they can change their clothes, any marks, scars or tattoos...

Best of Luck
edit on 10/13/2014 by JimNasium because: spellin fo paw and icky grammar

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

I'd caution You again about the "Hyper-Vigilant" as I also noticed it in the response from member 'KTemplar' I had not read that reply as it was posted as I pecked away (2 finger typer here)

The HYPER-Vigilance will rob You again, but this time of Your sleep. (I sh!t You NOT) So if You're the type of person that is better suited "talking about things" check for the Victim's Assistance Programs and get the counseling...

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Never been robbed at gunpoint, but usually people can tell that I am armed and refrain from doing something stupid like that.

But I have had guns pointed and shot at me in my time, and the only response there is to return in kind.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:46 AM
link   
a reply to: recrisp

First, thanks to all who have responded as I greatly appreciate it.

Now, to your post, I now actually get what PTSD is as I've never experienced it, really, in this fashion. I'm still feeling something but I don't know what. I think I'm in the anger process, if you think of the five stages of grief, and I haven't yet gotten to acceptance.

But how to accept it? How do I get there? I'm thinking right now that I'm Batman and can go rouge and deal with this thug - certainly the stupidest thought I've ever had and also I won't - but I WANT to. The frakking gunman robbed me of a hundred bucks, took my wallet, all with a damn gun for what? Seriously, who has to use a gun to rob a pizza guy?

I'm a peace loving kind of guy, lived almost fifty years on this crazy planet and never had anything like this ever happen and I have lived most of my life in Las Vegas, where crap like this is routine. How it never happened to me before is kind of amazing now that I think about it. I guess I'm just still shaken a bit and processing it all and having my boss not tell the customer to frak off and giving me crap for it has a lot to do with it. He should have supported me better than that when it's his greedy ass that put me in that situation.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Just give the mugger your wallet. Better to live than be stabbed or shot.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: JimNasium

Thanks Jim I'll look into that as I think I do need to talk to someone other than my bartender.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:02 AM
link   

You did the right thing and survived. Your life is not in your wallet, only money.

Plan on suffering post trauma behind it. Near death episodes are like that. Its okay to feel fearful, angry, etc., thats completely human.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Here's my stuff, enjoy.
No need to instigate violence.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:26 AM
link   

It was a long time ago now, but I was robbed at gunpoint while working at a convenience store.

I was kind of a fatalist-nihilist at that point in my life, so it didnt unnerve me much. Hell, I even convinced the the robber I was on his side. It was a good story since I came out unscathed, and girls really fawned over it.

I think I might have had 2 dollars with me of my own. Was also super poor at the time lol. Cops nabbed him down the street I think.
edit on 10-11-2017 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:54 AM
link   

They asked for my wallet.. I reached back and came back with my 357 magnum instead...

They ran away...

Sorry this happened to you.. :/

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 10:02 AM
link   

I’ve had 3 guns pulled on me.. and been robbed all 3..

You always give the money..

You never try and attack them or take the gun from them , unless your pretty sure they will kill you either way..

All three times are imho very good stories too... not too long or anything, but would require more work than I want to do unless I know you are interested, lol.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Look...

Heres the meat and potatoes of it.

If you allow this incident to change your way of life, then you will look back on this period with more regrets than you have now. If you allow this incident to make you quit your job, or stop you from being prepared to deliver to ANY neighborhood, regardless of what your skin tone is, or the average skin tone of the bloc or district you are delivering to, then you will, in time, feel lower than a bow legged caterpillar.

You SHOULD talk to your boss, you should certainly make them aware of the situation, make them aware that victim blaming is not helpful or justifiable, no matter what position they hold within the company they are a part of. However, if you can possibly avoid allowing this situation to make you less able to do the job you were doing, in the locations you were doing it, then you should avoid that at all costs.

Its not what you go through that really takes a toll. Its the stuff it stopped you doing that you will really, REALLY feel as time wears on.

That being said, if your job is crap and your boss is walking turd, then jack it in and do something else, but don't allow a criminal act to dictate the next steps you take in your life. Thats giving power to the thief, power which belongs only to you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join