It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Washington orders RT America to register as foreign agent by Monday

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:05 PM
link   
According to RT America, the U.S. Justice Department is making them register as a foreign agent !!

RT America is the U.S. based version of RT.

They are a Russian media company and many people claim it is a Russian propaganda outlet !!

RT is funded by the Russian government.

RT's editor-in-chief Margarita Simonyan says the U.S. is trying to drive them out of the U.S. !!

Washington orders RT America to register as foreign agent by Monday

Washington will apply its Foreign Agents Registration Act to RT America, the channel has announced. The Department of Justice has given the broadcaster until Monday to register as a foreign agent, otherwise the channel’s head faces arrest and its accounts could be frozen.

The piece of legislation was adopted in the US in 1938 to counter pro-Nazi agitation on US soil. Washington has made the decision to apply the act towards the company that supplies all services for RT America on its territory, including TV production and operations. Just over 400 entities are currently registered under the legislation, but it does not include a single media outlet.

RT's editor-in-chief, Margarita Simonyan, said on Thursday that the timeframe provided for the company by the DoJ is a "cannibalistic deadline." She previously said that the channel was being forced into "conditions in which we cannot work" in the US, and called Washington's demand an attempt to "drive [RT] out of the country."

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Are they keeping their funding secret? "Russia" is right in their name, doesn't sound like they're hiding anything.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:13 PM
link   
forcing a Russian government media outlet to register add Russian media? what's next?

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
According to RT America, the U.S. Justice Department is making them register as a foreign agent !!

RT America is the U.S. based version of RT.

They are a Russian media company and many people claim it is a Russian propaganda outlet !!

RT is funded by the Russian government.

Thanks for including facts in your post that go against the article's opinion. I think this is the first post I've seen from you that shows both sides of an argument.

I don't know your opinion, O.P. - Do you think RT America is a Russian propaganda outlet? I noticed they are funded by the Russian government, doesn't that sound like one to you? The Department of Justice is run by the Trump administration, do you think they have legal basis to make RT America register as a foreign agent since it is paid by the Russian government?

My opinion is that they definitely are propoganda, I used to use RT as a source for ATS posts, but they are definitely propoganda and I stopped using them as a source as often after being tricked a few times (aka I don't use them as a source at all but I reserve the right to use them as a source on occasion).

I think that since they are paid for by the Russian government, it only makes sense that they have to register as a foreign agent, but I am no lawyer.
edit on 09pmThu, 09 Nov 2017 22:27:11 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 09pmThu, 09 Nov 2017 22:27:52 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Russia should make CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, AP, Reuters, etc. register as foreign agents since they report propaganda all day long.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Does this mean fox needs to register as well? Rupert murdoch is an australian and news corp got its start there.

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Does this mean fox needs to register as well? Rupert murdoch is an australian and news corp got its start there.

Why not, let's be fair!!

If we don't stand for something, then we will fall for anything!!

posted on Nov, 9 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Censorship, yikes!

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Huh so you are happy that they are trying to shut them down?!

They're the only channel that speaks frankly on many things.

Most of the outspoken people on that channel are not even Russian. In fact I don't think there is even one Russian.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If you visit RT knowing it's Putin's propaganda soapbox you're fine, on the other hand RT does produce some excellent documentaries dealing with subjects that you'll never see covered by western media. It's entertaining to compare RT's coverage with western media, it certainly has an anti-western viewpoint, but that's to be expected.

edit on 10-11-2017 by Nucleardoom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Russia Russia Russia, oh look it really is Russia this time.

What's next, Al Gorezeerah registering as a foreign operative?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 06:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bramble Iceshimmer
Russia should make CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, AP, Reuters, etc. register as foreign agents since they report propaganda all day long.

The whole world should, or better ban those foreign propaganda channels!

And also ban Facebook, Twitter etc as foreign spying agencies.

Or make them pay ther taxes and a "littlle bit" more, at least.
But don´t let them spy on the people and don´t even take the tax money they have to pay!

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:16 AM
link   

No surprise to me. They gotta control the narrative and the factual content. We live behind a digital curtain and they are tightening it to regulate the flow of information.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:28 AM
link   
OMG, the Russians are coming, the Russians are coming. Take shelter quickly.

But of course not a word about having AIPAC register as the agent of a foreign government, no.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Here's the definition of a foreign agent. As far as I can see RT fits the definition. So why shouldn't it be required to register?

22 U.S. Code § 611 - Definitions

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:35 AM
link   
RT is propaganda. Unbridled state sponsored propaganda. But then again, so is the BBC, or any other state sponsored media with obvious agendas.

What is the difference between Voice of America, Radio Free Europe, the BBC and RT? Painfully little.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
Here's the definition of a foreign agent. As far as I can see RT fits the definition. So why shouldn't it be required to register?

22 U.S. Code § 611 - Definitions

Thanks for the Title 22 definitions. That makes it perfectly clear that AIPAC and a host of other organizations representing Turkey, Saudi Arabia and many more should also be required to register under FARA.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Salander

FARA has long been criticized for its uneven application. Both Eisenhower and Robert Kennedy tried hard to get AIPAC's predecessor to register, only for the topic to ultimately be dropped.

That said, just because FARA isn't being used in all instances where it maybe should, does that mean it shouldn't be used at all?

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Xcalibur254
a reply to: Salander

FARA has long been criticized for its uneven application. Both Eisenhower and Robert Kennedy tried hard to get AIPAC's predecessor to register, only for the topic to ultimately be dropped.

That said, just because FARA isn't being used in all instances where it maybe should, does that mean it shouldn't be used at all?

Well if it is true under the US system that all men are equal before the law, then selective application of the law shows that the US system is horribly flawed.

The War Powers Act is utterly ignored by the Congress that created it and the Unitary Executive that benefits from its being ignored.

You raise a good point, but I must say 'no' to your question. I would prefer vigorous enforcement of any law. Selective enforcement just reinforces the perception that the rule of law in this country is dead in the water.

posted on Nov, 10 2017 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Russia Russia Russia, oh look it really is Russia this time.

What's next, Al Gorezeerah registering as a foreign operative?

BBC America.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join