It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prosecutor to Trump: Shut Up or Face Gag Order From Russia Probe Special Counsel

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:42 PM
link   
It seems that sometimes it's better to put the smartphone down and lay off Twitter. News today that Trump's comments could possibly interfere with the court cases surrounding Manafort/Gates.

Attorney Nick Akerman, a prosecutor in the Watergate investigations, told Politico Friday that Mueller could issue a gagging order to prevent the president interfering with the investigation.

He warned that the president had defamed a potential government witness who is likely to be called in a federal trial.

It would certainly be unprecedented, but it's actually being considered:

In order for a gag order to be imposed on the president, Mueller would have to have the request signed off by a federal judge who agreed that the president’s public statements risked prejudicing the case. The federal judge overseeing the criminal trial of former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and business partner Rick Gates, who were indicted Monday, said she is inclined to impose a gag order in the case.

Link

I wonder if Twitter could be asked to filter Trump's tweets based on keywords to prevent a potential jury pool from being tainted? We've already been over the issue of banning the man from the social media platform, something that will never, ever happen. Trump is on Twitter, and isn't going anywhere.

The question then becomes, can the man keep his opinions to himself? And if he can't, would legal action be taken against Twitter for allowing Trump to violate a federal gag order?

We're certainly sailing into uncharted waters!

+9 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Trump blasted Papadopoulos as a "liar" and a "low-level volunteer"

The indictment says the exact same thing.

Already public opinion.

+13 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Free speech bothers folks, who knew.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 09:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kettu

This is not going to go over well with little Napoleon.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   
It would be funny as hell to see Trump responding to a gag order.

Would his tweets be like: "mmmhhm mmmhphhphmp m hhmhpphppmh mm hhhph.. SAD!"

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Yawn.....just like the Antifa protests......where's my Anarchy?

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
Free speech bothers folks, who knew.

Only when you're an influencer....

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Dudemo5

He'll just post in Russian.

Nobody will ever figure it out if he used FancyBear code.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:10 PM
link   

That would be hilarious! A gag order! I hadn't considered that...

But gag orders do happen and I think our President is fully qualified to receive one.

"It would be unprecedented, but he is interfering with the government’s right to a fair trial," Akerman said. Papadopoulos may be called to witness in further court proceedings on the issue, raising questions over whether Trump's comments on his former adviser may be improper.

edit on 4-11-2017 by antoinemarionette because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:15 PM
link   

So.... If a former Watergate prosecutor says that this unprecedented move is a possibility.... We should believe that it is likely to happen?

If such a gag order were to be issued, could I voice my opinion about the case? Or does it just effect sitting Presidents?

Will a gag order stifle the new media?

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:18 PM
link   
This settles it. The Jury is IN! Impeachment proceedings are now super duper imminent....

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
This settles it. The Jury is IN! Impeachment proceedings are now super duper imminent....

Double dog dare....

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

President Pence was the original plan all along.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:35 PM
link   
So they're more interested in what Trump says and not the leaks.

hmpf.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

This is not going to go over well with little Napoleon.

On the contrary, Hillary will love it!

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   
There's "free speech"
Then there's trying to influence criminal proceedings

There's obtruction of justice too...

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

President Pence was the original plan all along.

Pence is Manaforts dark horse, Manny just got kneecapped & I expect Mueller to put down his lame gelding as well.

K~

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:07 PM
link   

They have a valid point. The president of the US should not be making comments about specific legal cases to the public, especially if they are tied, directly or indirectly, to Trump himself.

That being said, I don't think it will happen.

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:18 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Papadopoulos was not a low-level volunteer, Trump himself called him one of his top 5 foreign policy advisors. He might be a mid-level volunteer. Trump calling someone a liar, that's like the pot calling the kettle black.
edit on 04pmSat, 04 Nov 2017 23:20:39 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2017 @ 11:22 PM
link   
a reply to: antoinemarionette

"It would be unprecedented, but he is interfering with the government’s right to a fair trial," Akerman said. Papadopoulos may be called to witness in further court proceedings on the issue, raising questions over whether Trump's comments on his former adviser may be improper.
Maybe Trump has turned whistle blower :>) Don't they protect whistle blowers in the US ?.....anyone ? :>)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join