It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Historian warns of a Brave New World style society.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
A historian named Michael Bess admits Brave New World is an exception to all science fiction stories.

He believes that the reason for this is because a lot of the stuff Brave New World can actually happen if we are not careful.

While at this point we are the beginning stage of creating genetically engineered organisms such as a lamb growth in artificial wombs, he feared that society will one day take it too far.

He even admits that the masses will never process a Brave New World style society because it will be too much for them.

"The technological modification of entire populations of humans is not a fitting subject for mass entertainment because it's simply too disturbing to contemplate," Bess said. "Many people in today's society are living in a state of denial, psychologically unprepared for what is actually far more likely to become the case."

He feared also that over time as more people modify themselves genetically, they will be seen as commodities rather than humans:

By this he means an incremental yet perhaps irreversible focus on upgrades, enhancements, and alterations to ourselves. Over time, the thinking goes, this erodes individuality to the point that people may be treated as product-like commodities — not unlike how we talk about cars today, Bess explained.

In addition, he talks about people taking what appears to be a prototype of Soma.

He retold an anecdote from a student who toured a Wall Street firm as an intern candidate. The tour guide noted the crushing 70- to 80-hour work weeks, then said, to cope, workers pick a favorite cognition-enhancing drug, such as memantine, methylphenidate, or modafinil.

"If you're not using cognitive enhancers, you're not welcome here," the tour guide allegedly said, with an eerie resemblance to Huxley's soma-infused world.

www.businessinsider.com...

While I agree with Bess that we are beginning to see signs of Brave New World, at this point we are in the 1984 stage. In the US, we are seeing the emergence of the surveillance society and the erosion of freedoms (Patriot Act and the Han Solo incident).

Here's a good video showing how 1984 came 25 years late:

edit on 10/26/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Is that pic of the lamb for real?

Woe is us...

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Yes and one day it is going to be humans just like Brave New World. Meanwhile natural born humans will either be put in special "reservations" or for political prisoners, will face the 1984 treatment.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Yes and one day it is going to be humans just like Brave New World. Meanwhile natural born humans will either be put in special "reservations" or for political prisoners will face the 1984 treatment.

I need to know is that lambs 'womb' preceding from an embryo, was a natural conception involved and partly grown in Utero, then transferred to the 'man made' Womb?

Will it survive to birth?

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think it's hilarious that they end up naming a muscle relaxer Soma (carisoprodol) .
Using the Nazi Research into forced twinning combined with these new artificial wombs the stage is setup for all of your worst horror movie dystopian nightmares

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Most likely transfered but I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to to create one without transferring or perhaps such technology existed only it remains hidden from the public.

As for surviving birth, good question. Most likely in the early stages no but as time goes on, they will perfect it to the point where the lamb can live and grow like a natural born lamb.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Brings to mind the old movie Freejack.

And who's paying for this... Perhaps that is why pharmacuticals are so astronomically expensive. I think somehow we will craft the societies we seek.
edit on 26-10-2017 by Plotus because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
When you look at the big picture patterns of history, the same patterns keep playing out in ever grander form while all the tech to bring it about keep ramping right up in 'perfect harmony'.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   
I don't know but I can see modifying / creating a human with a better chance of surviving in space. Maybe built in interface to control ship with mind so heavy acceleration isn't problem. Maybe better tolerance to cosmic radiation.

Basically, creating a race to lead the initial exploration of space, find habitual planets, map out routes and make any first contact.

I suppose same thing with the oceans where pressure and oxygenation is a problem exploring the depths.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

If you read the article, Bess admits there are some good things like allowing the blind to see.

However, the real issue is that the TPTB can abuse it and use it as an effective method of control.

In Brave New World, most humans except for ones in special areas are bred in artificial wombs so that they see the state as their parent, thus allowing the TPTB to control them easily.

In a 1984/Brave New World Hybrid society, these GM Humans will look up to Big Brother.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Yes and one day it is going to be humans just like Brave New World. Meanwhile natural born humans will either be put in special "reservations" or for political prisoners will face the 1984 treatment.

I need to know is that lambs 'womb' preceding from an embryo, was a natural conception involved and partly grown in Utero, then transferred to the 'man made' Womb?

Will it survive to birth?

Yes, the lamb was in a natural womb for the first 23 weeks then transferred to the plastic bag filled with amniotic fluid. It was a research programs for improving the prospects of premature births. Unless both the plastic bag and amniotic fluid were used, the lamb wouldn't live due to infections.

metro.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
id make humans to mine on asteroids and on planets while raking in trillions in profit
edit on 26-10-2017 by Jiggly because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Jiggly

That would be the Gammas and Epilsons whom are genetically programmed to such work though honestly I think that's a terrible idea since it's unethical.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal
Imo, and in fact thankfully, we are still a long way away from 1984.

I can currently create journals, criticize my government and chose what after work activities I participate in. Those in 1984 didn't have nearly that type of freedoms, with the exception of the proles.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: nightbringr

Countries like North Korea and China do unfortunately.

However, the end goal for the TPTB is Brave New World because it is the perfect totalitarian system.

In fact, this is the reason why me and a few others are more afraid of Brave New World than a theocracy or a 1984 society. While in Oceania and Saudi Arabia, you know who is oppressing you, in Brave New World, people are distracted through too much pleasure to the point that they didn't notice how much freedoms they lost.

Those who speak out against the TPTB and refused to take the Soma will end up like Winston in 1984.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   

He's right about most not being able to process it. I can't even look at that picture without the gag reflex kicking in. Poor little guy, he'll never know what it's like to have a mom...

Thanks,
blend

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Neither book will happen in the future. Predicting the future is impossible and neither of these authors are going to be successful with it either. For every parallel you can find between a Brave New World or 1984 and modern society, I can find many more examples that don't align with those books.

Anyone who thinks that a book written in the 1930's truly understands or describes today's world or direction it is going is naive.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You're right...

It's far worse.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: IgnoranceIsntBlisss

Not even. It's just different. Unlike you pessimistic paranoids I see the beauty in the world. Sure things aren't perfect, but we are living in the most peaceful era in human history with the lowest violent crime. If you have time to worry about a fiction novel coming true then you are clearly missing the irony of how safe you are to even be able to worry about that in the first place.

posted on Oct, 26 2017 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
we are living in the most peaceful era in human history with the lowest violent crime.

I dont know what planet you're living on, but it isnt planet earth. I mean maybe this month international conflicts, at least, might be semi-calm, but give it a month or two.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join