It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

End of the road for Janet terminal watching from Vegas hotels?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:44 PM
link   
www.reviewjournal.com...

The liked article discusses if hotels will no longer allow guests to keep staff out using "Do Not Disturb" signs. If you ever did an extended surveillance of the Janet terminal from the Tropicana, the "Do Not Disturb" comes in mighty handy. You don't want the hotel staff to see the furniture moved away from the window and replaced with a telescope on tripod plus binoculars handy. Also radio scanners.

Not mentioned but probably another possibility is the elimination of hotel guests picking their room specifically for a view. The shooter wanted the festival in sight. Janet terminal watchers pick the Island Tower of the Tropicana on a floor as high as possible, for example.

Having done this twice and with recent construction limiting though not totally obstructing the view, I'd glad I did that silly adventure when the shooting was good. I did the second session to try better optics. I also stayed once at the San Remo (now Hooters), but the photography was not as good.

Note the press hasn't mentioned if the shooter picked his room. Or perhaps they haven't asked the question. When I would ask for a specific room location at the Tropicana, the desk clerks never batted an eye.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:47 PM
link   
No security force on the planet can prevent an operator with a .50 cal from killing their objective,once a person is open.
JUST gotta RELOCATE your ENTIRE operation where PEOPLE AREN'T.
edit on 11-10-2017 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: gariac

I question whether this will go through or not.

If I'm in my room, I don't want anyone coming in... Especially if I am accompanied

But this won't prevent anything unless they're aloud to go through luggage.

Just an inconvenience to patrons.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Oh please. limit more freedom...

If you take away one option, it still leaves others.

"Note the press hasn't mentioned if the shooter picked his room." nuff said.
edit on 11-10-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

not attacking you OP. This crap is ridiculous.
edit on 11-10-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I stayed at a fairly nice Marriott hotel in NYC for a week back in June. I placed the Do Not Disturb sign on the door everyday because I didn't want to be bothered with housekeeping early in am. It turned out they got around to my room between noon and 1pm. You know how I know? Because everyday around those times, someone stuck their heads in the door, asking if I needed anything.

I didn't want to seem rude, but more than once I informed them that the sign was on the door because I did not need or want anything.

It didn't work. They still checked in everyday. I think it must be policy.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

If I'm in my room, I don't want anyone coming in... Especially if I am accompanied

Are TSA baggage scanners in hotels the next step?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac

If there's ever a shooting in a public bathroom I'm sure we'll have to be scanned for entry there too.

We can't protect everyone, and we shouldn't try. The loons and terrorists have won.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:40 PM
link   

youtu.be...

Skip to the 1:40 point. This is probably shot from Hooters. The fuel tanks are in clear view. So is Air Force 1.

As disruptive as it is, maybe AF1 will start using Nellis. Then again, aircraft was plenty vulnerable without an elevated hotel vantage point.

Note you can see the Janet terminal from the McCarran Long Term Parking, but not the passengers getting in the plane. I have never been harassed doing photography from the parking garage.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 08:54 PM
link   

granted if i worked in a hotel and saw that gear i would just ask the guest, then want to take a look threw for my own curiosities and leave it at that.

but the sad truth is people will want more security theater

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Will they federalize hotel staff ?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Considering Janet flight are defense contractors whats with the need to observe them coming and going?

I mean I get the whole Aviation Week buff, be the first to catch a new aircraft coming out of area 51 and all, but watching unmarked airliners fly in and out of the airport... with telescopes, cameras and scanners an all...

If you tried that s*** at my local airfield you'd get busted.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

Considering Janet flight are defense contractors whats with the need to observe them coming and going?

I mean I get the whole Aviation Week buff, be the first to catch a new aircraft coming out of area 51 and all, but watching unmarked airliners fly in and out of the airport... with telescopes, cameras and scanners an all...

If you tried that s*** at my local airfield you'd get busted.

It has to do with where the aircraft are going. Plus you could do traffic analysis. Extra flights might mean a test.

Groom Lake and the FAA have an odd relationship. I suspect it is much like MARSA. At some point the flights are no longer FAA controlled. That said, the aircraft need to behave in a civilian manner when appropriate, hence the reserved but undocumented fixes. Also the reserved WWW nomenclature, without revealing the reserving entity.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Oh...

Yer under arrest.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:45 PM
link   

www.reviewjournal.com...

Note the press hasn't mentioned if the shooter picked his room. Or perhaps they haven't asked the question. When I would ask for a specific room location at the Tropicana, the desk clerks never batted an eye.

According to the mainstream media the shooter was originally in a room the hotel had compd for him and after a day or two he requested the specific room he shot from and paid for that room himself. It's a mystery as to why he changed rooms as he still had free nights on the compd room.

Something along those lines..
edit on 11-10-2017 by libertytoall because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Tourism dollars will be lost.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 10:42 PM
link   

www.reviewjournal.com...

The liked article discusses if hotels will no longer allow guests to keep staff out using "Do Not Disturb" signs. If you ever did an extended surveillance of the Janet terminal from the Tropicana, the "Do Not Disturb" comes in mighty handy. You don't want the hotel staff to see the furniture moved away from the window and replaced with a telescope on tripod plus binoculars handy. Also radio scanners.

Not mentioned but probably another possibility is the elimination of hotel guests picking their room specifically for a view. The shooter wanted the festival in sight. Janet terminal watchers pick the Island Tower of the Tropicana on a floor as high as possible, for example.

Having done this twice and with recent construction limiting though not totally obstructing the view, I'd glad I did that silly adventure when the shooting was good. I did the second session to try better optics. I also stayed once at the San Remo (now Hooters), but the photography was not as good.

what’s to learn from watching people board a plane?

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: bluetrees

Learn? Well I never spotted anyone in uniform. The personnel are coed. There seems to be no limit on personal items like backpacks or briefcases. This seems like loose security to me. The personal items are subject to search (one assumes), but these days it is so easy to transport digital data.

This transport of personal items makes you wonder why they aren't using remote access such as VPN.

Viewing the Janets from the other side (parking garage), you can see the Janets transport some cargo.

posted on Oct, 11 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: libertytoall

www.reviewjournal.com...

According to the mainstream media the shooter was originally in a room the hotel had compd for him and after a day or two he requested the specific room he shot from and paid for that room himself. It's a mystery as to why he changed rooms as he still had free nights on the compd room.

I've spent about 10 minutes doing a search on this. All posts I could find indicate he shot from a comped room. Do you have a link?

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 05:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: libertytoall

www.reviewjournal.com...

I've spent about 10 minutes doing a search on this. All posts I could find indicate he shot from a comped room. Do you have a link?

I found an article. Maybe the 32nd floor suite was also compd. That opens up an even bigger lawsuit for Mandalay bay.

nypost.com...

posted on Oct, 12 2017 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Liberty has a price.

See my signature.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join