It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Travel Talk: What's Your Travel Style? (Pics included)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Hello out there to all of my fellow ATSers who have the wanderlust! I have had and forged many opportunties to travel in my life (not so much recently- lol- funny what a family, bills, routine can do to wanderlust) and am tremendously grateful for each one. There is so much to learn and see and each place has its own charm and intrigue (okay, fine. not every place I've ever seen is charming, but most are!)

My favorite mode of travel is probably by car, as there is so much to see in between point A and B, but have also enjoyed plane trips which traverse in a few hours what my ancestors did in weeks, have met the most interesting characters on trains, busses, ferries, so that I must say I love to travel by any means. I love seeing new places, meeting new people of various cultures and beliefs, trying new food (mostly lol) and checking out the diverse beauty the world has to offer.

When I was younger I stayed in youth hostels and had the best time. If I could afford the expense and time of travel these days, chances are I'd opt for the peace and privacy of a hotel (one way in which I've changed) while meeting who I could out and about.

I was lucky enough to go to Europe on three seperate occasions, which I am mainly posting about. I case any one has any of their own experiences to offer, in case anyone wants any travel advice (if I can give it) or just wants to see some gorgeous pictures. I plan on updating this thread from time to time with other beautiful travel pictures but please feel free to post pictures of your own if you are inclined! The world is just so gorgeous, I'd love to see a bit through your lense

I'll start with Italy, as I already have uploaded the pics after seeing Augustus's thread about Italy
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here are some stunning shots from Italy. The place just begs to be photographed, it is sumptuous.
I started in Venice (we took a train from Interlaken, Austria to Venice after renting a car and driving from Geneva)

We took a ferry over to Lido, where we stayed:

Venice has a surreal beauty

Also, mysterious at night

Nearby are the colorful islands Murano and Burano

Here's me being happy:

Next off to Siena, a gorgeous country town:

Florence for a wedding:

And finally Pisa:

for the iconic shot:

We stayed in an old nunnery:

Around town:.

So, that's all for now ATS! So, friends, do you have any preferences in modes of travel, which places to visit, places to stay, ways to meet people? I'd love to hear about your travel experiences or see your travel pics! Also, have a great day, and never forget that we live in a beautiful place, at a wonderful time!

edit on 9-10-2017 by zosimov because: lost the nerve to post pics of myself.. lol!

edit on 9-10-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Beautiful thread.
BTW: The pics of you were as lovely as the scenery.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Thanks, TAT! I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures
(and maybe you just gave me the nerve to edit those back in... thanks)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
When I was younger, 20 years ago lol! I got a kick out of hitchhiking. I left home when I was 20 with $90 in my pocket a backpack and guitar and hitched my way across Canada in search of adventure. The next year I returned the same way but started out with only $50 that time. Ate peanut butter sandwiches the whole way. Since then I've driven the trip, bussed it and flown it. But hitching was probably the best time I had. WARNING!!! If you're considering traveling across Canada via Greyhound, DO NOT!!! Unless you're ready to deal with malnutrition, and social scenes straight out of "One flew over the Cuckoo''s nest." It is a horrible mind bending experience. I did it a few times and after the last time, where myself and about 60 -100 people, some of whom had not slept for a few days, found ourselves stranded in Sudbury at about 3 am.... I'm gonna stop. There are great ways to travel, avoid the bus.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: ThickAsABrick

I never had the nerve to hitch, but my friend did, lol! She hitched rides across country to Austin TX with her dog. Not sure I'd endorse her decision but she had a great experience.

I ditto the advice about Greyhound here in the US as well. NOT a good mode of travel in US! I took many great bus rides in Europe, though, which I would highly recommend.

Cheers for the stellar advice! (Also love your free spirit!)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Wow, such beautiful shots! You've been so many great places I'd love to go visit.

I honestly prefer driving myself. There's nothing better than seeing a sign along side the road that points out something interesting. You can turn off and go explore.

Planes are nice and all, but I dislike being so confined for hours without being able to just stop and get out for a nice walk or meal. Plus, the last time I flew, I had a head cold and the pressure was agony. I thought my head was going to explode.

You know, one of my best memories was taking the old steam train from Durango, CO, to an abandoned gold-mining town. Beautiful trip and panning for a few flakes of gold was fun. I always wanted to do another train trip, something cross-country though.

Taking a cruise seems fun, but I've heard too many stories of the conditions and the crime, so it makes me a bit nervous.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subrosabelow

You know, one of my best memories was taking the old steam train from Durango, CO, to an abandoned gold-mining town. Beautiful trip and panning for a few flakes of gold was fun. I always wanted to do another train trip, something cross-country though.

Thanks, I am glad you liked the pics! It's nearly impossible to take a bad shot in Italy.

I completely agree about flying- a neccessary but unpleasant way to go. And it doesn't seem to be getting any better, either, which is discouraging.

PS I have always wanted to take this train (to Silverthorne I believe?) I will have to put it on my list again.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Fear and loathing!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: solve

Ha ha, sounds like a trip!

Man, I've had an excellent road trip to Vegas, myself. There's this place along the way called Mystic Hot Springs (hippie hot springs but so cool!) where I stayed the night in a cabin with a few friends on my 21st bday trip. Love the US desert.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Nice thread! Those are some amazing photos.

I'm jealous because I haven't had the opportunity to travel around the world yet, but it's definitely on my bucket list. I would love to backpack across the world.. how amazing would that be?

Have a nice day, my friend

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Thanks, Hunter! Happy Monday my friend, and I really, really hope you make that dream a reality (just make it happen lol. You can do it. Also tell me what Mongolia is like
)

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
La Madonna !

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Ditto on not endorsing it to people. It is unfortunately a stranger and more dangerous world these days. The area I traveled to and lived in back then is Northern British Columbia, which is home to the Trail of Tears. Highway 16, the Yellow head. Many women have disappeared along that route, including someone I had worked with years ago. I was lucky, experienced some shady characters, but I manages to make it home every time.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Ahhh very beautiful! I live in NYC and fly to the Caribbean quite a lot. I don't get to Europe as much as I like even though I have family there.

I did just go to Louisiana a few weeks ago.

edit on 9-10-2017 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Yummy crawfish

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Glad you got out of there before that big tall tower thing fell on you.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

lol, gratzie!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

Kind of an embarrassing pic in retrospect... what with me smiling serenly as disaster looms and all

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: ThickAsABrick

Exactly... I try to be really open to meeting new people, but there's a real danger in trusting the wrong ones. I'm glad you're okay and have all the interesting memories to share!

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

Thanks for posting this beautiful pic! What a scene

I love New Orleans but haven't seen the rest of the state.

posted on Oct, 9 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Louisiana is special. My girlfriends dad lives 40 min west of Nola, so I go down often. I love the ocean and wildlife. It's like all the the good things of Florida without the Florida!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join