It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Toys 'R' Us could go bankrupt within weeks as it struggles to pay debts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   

(yahoonews.com)-Toys ‘R’ Us could go bankrupt within weeks as it struggles with billions of dollars of debt and mounting pressure from suppliers, The Wall Street Journal reported.

The global toy retailer, which has more than 1,600 outlets is considering filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US before Christmas. Chapter 11 can allow companies to stay operational as they reorganise and pay their creditors.

www.yahoo.com...

I assume this is the beginning of the end on Toys R Us.
Which is sad in a way, I remember shopping there as a kid.

Like many brick and mortar stores, they are possibly going to go the way ok Kmart, Radio Shack, and Sears.

Though, a few of the above mentioned stores are still around, it's seemingly only a matter of time before they are a memory.

Another victim to online shopping (damn you Amazon!)

Till then I will always have this.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I've been to Toys R Us. Most of the toys are garbage because all you see now is a bunch of super hero junk in which you can buy from EB Games. They don't even sell all the board games.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I went in there the other week .
Kids birthday £38 for Fifa 17.

Certain bay £10 sealed

#ing con merchants.

Hope those investors ( con artists )

Someone pisses in there caviar 👍

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Black_Fox

(yahoonews.com)-Toys ‘R’ Us could go bankrupt within weeks as it struggles with billions of dollars of debt and mounting pressure from suppliers, The Wall Street Journal reported.

The global toy retailer, which has more than 1,600 outlets is considering filing for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US before Christmas. Chapter 11 can allow companies to stay operational as they reorganise and pay their creditors.

www.yahoo.com...

I assume this is the beginning of the end on Toys R Us.
Which is sad in a way, I remember shopping there as a kid.

Like many brick and mortar stores, they are possibly going to go the way ok Kmart, Radio Shack, and Sears.

Though, a few of the above mentioned stores are still around, it's seemingly only a matter of time before they are a memory.

Another victim to online shopping (damn you Amazon!)

Till then I will always have this.

Is it really Amazon or are people just not buying as much toy crap anymore?

I know Amazon is certainly a contributor, but I'd guess there are other factors too. As a parent, I buy mostly educational toys for my toddler. I usually get them at a local retailer in my town. Mostly wooden block toys, magnet tiles, etc.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Their "reorganized" name will be:

Toys were Them

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:40 PM
link   
"toys r us"

yes, yes we are.
Curse you, Illuminati!

But, yes- A lot of it is amazon/ebay, but a lot of it is also walmart. Walmart probably sells the same junk for the same price, in a store where the trashy customers are already visiting.
Why make a trip to a whole extra store to buy the same exact junk?

We see the path of monopolistic markets, we know it's terrible, but we do nothing to stop it.

Welcome to costco, I love you
(aka, Buy'n'Large)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Black_Fox

Way to get all parents of young children to do Christmas shopping early.
Panic that they'll be closed in December.
I have grown sons and no grandchildren so I haven't been to Toys R Us in about three years. Last few times we only got video games and accessories for our youngest who was nearly out of his teens already.
Maybe I got some wrapping paper there.
It would be a shame for them to close up shop this close to their biggest season.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: lordcomac
"toys r us"

yes, yes we are.
Curse you, Illuminati!

But, yes- A lot of it is amazon/ebay, but a lot of it is also walmart. Walmart probably sells the same junk for the same price, in a store where the trashy customers are already visiting.
Why make a trip to a whole extra store to buy the same exact junk?

We see the path of monopolistic markets, we know it's terrible, but we do nothing to stop it.

Welcome to costco, I love you
(aka, Buy'n'Large)

I think it is Wal-Mart affecting them more than Amazon.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 02:54 PM
link   
What a different world this has become!

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Online is not going to replace "I want it now" or even "I want to see and touch it before I buy it".
I will shop online see who has what I want and check prices then go to the store most of the time not the other way around. I bet a lot of people do.
Online adds shipping charges. Now a retailer may be higher priced in a store than an online seller but when you add shipping most of the time it's not and you don't have to wait for the FedEx guy.
I do buy things online too but usually it's things I can't buy locally or things that are only available online like some makeup brands.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   
A number of years ago, Toys R Us was the place to go to find a toy that was 'hot' but unavailable in most stores... because their prices were higher, but they did stock well on hot items.

Now, with the Internet making such things available and delivered to your front door....

My kids still want some toys (my youngest is 12), and the Internet is the deciding factor for me. I probably will never set foot in one of their stores again, and I haven't for a few years now.
edit on b000000302017-09-18T15:04:39-05:0003America/ChicagoMon, 18 Sep 2017 15:04:39 -0500300000017 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Don't be too quick to blame online shopping. After all they could very well sell online just as others stores are having to do.

It's the decline in children playing with toys. It started years ago, once video games came out as the new toy. Toy departments began vanishing from department stores.

Nowadays kids would rather play or chat on their stupid phones. Little girls simply do not get together for a good old fashioned tea party or Barbies. Only toddlers play with toys.

It's a real shame that toys just aren't in anymore.

They may as well pull out now and cut their losses because there's no recovery from this to ever be a profitable business.

edit on 18-9-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Sad to see the jobs go, but it makes perfect sense.

I was In toys r us last Christmas and boy is it in decline... maybe it's just the city (Flint,mi) but it was looking pretty sad in there compared to 25 years ago when I was foaming at the mouth just to run the isles and dream of takin all those toys home...

Internet definately hurts, but I agree with others... kids aren't plait wih toys anymore it's all screeens and games. Kinda sad.

My fathers hobby shopped closed for what I see as the same reasons... kids don't build models or have R/C hobbies anymore, and the ones that do are probbaly getting there stuff online for cheap... sad, for dad's business and for the culture in general , me thinks...

Whatver the cause , we are on this road and there is no stopping the train, so Buckle up, buckaroos!

a reply to: Black_Fox

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

We shopped there in the eighties when our kids were little right up to about 2010 There are twenty years between our first and last child.
They must have changed something because we bought lots of board games there Milton Bradley and Hasbro
for sure we still have a cabinet in the den that's full of board games. I think there's even a Harry Potter game in there that belonged to my youngest.
Anyway I remember they were at the very back wall all the way to the left if you stood in the front facing into the store. And it was most of the whole left half of the back wall . The middle if I remember correctly was infant and baby stuff then books. Wow I'm surprised I'm remembering this. Like I was just there. Lol im seeing it in my head.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

If the company is being run poorly, not even Christmas rush will be able to help Toys R Us.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme
People shop online more than you realize. At first, you do think I want to see it in person first, but that quickly goes by the wayside and shipping is free on some items or a minimum purchase, or only a few dollars on a lightweight product .. compare that to gas running your car to go out and get it.

Pizza Hut is currently testing driverless cars to deliver 🍕. No delivery guy coming to your door. I draw the line on that idea!

Toys r us us the last toy store standing in my neck of the woods. I think they're affiliated with Buy Buy Baby, who's affiliated with Bed, Bath & Beyond. I hope bed bath beyond isn't going under. I shop online there a lot. Just bought a toy racetrack for my toddler grandson, as well a shower curtain liner.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Im shocked they lasted this long.

My kids are both grown now (19 and 26). It was a shell of a store when they were young and i'd take them. Great for barbie and baby stuff. Terrible for anything for boys. They had tons of stock of toys no one wanted, and nothing in stock for toys the boys wanted.

I think they really blew it by not creating some branding presence. Toys that were only available through Toys R Us would have likely brought in shoppers that are either staying at home/shopping online, or going to Wal Mart where they already have to buy groceries.

It was a terrible business model. It can be done better. And now it looks like it might.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
I'm shocked as well!

Indeed, being able to grocery shop while you're at it, is a deciding factor for me. Our big grocery store superstore had aisles upon aisles of toys, then last year I was mortified to see there were none. A few Baby toys were in the baby supplies aisle.

That's the thing though, you have to keep up with what's working for other chains and adapt. Hire better marketing people who know this stuff. Thry hired lawyers, what do they know about marketing? Nothing.

Small grocers are next on the chopping block. I hear amazon bought whole foods. Online grocery shopping is the latest trend now. Not to mention people don't really cook anymore. Sad

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

In Texas, it'd take an act of God to dethrone HEB.

Given the way they responded to Harvey, I think the whole state is deeply in love with our grocer.

posted on Sep, 18 2017 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
Online is not going to replace "I want it now" or even "I want to see and touch it before I buy it".
I will shop online see who has what I want and check prices then go to the store most of the time not the other way around. I bet a lot of people do.
Online adds shipping charges. Now a retailer may be higher priced in a store than an online seller but when you add shipping most of the time it's not and you don't have to wait for the FedEx guy.
I do buy things online too but usually it's things I can't buy locally or things that are only available online like some makeup brands.

I tried to do that for a phone recently. The problem was the actual stores didn't carry 90% of the things that were on the website and the stores were unable or unwilling to order them to buy in the store. The only way to buy most of their stock was online. In the end I ended up having to buy a phone from a carrier store. They were the only places that actually had them in stock. It's too bad because the unlocked ones from staples and best buy were cheaper for a better phone. I don't like buying expensive things online. For some reason whenever I get a package at my place it gets left outside on my doorstep if no one's home. It doesn't get brought to a post office. I don't really like the idea of leaving hundreds of dollars worth of things outside all day until I grt home.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join