It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quitting after 26 years of smoking

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+12 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I've been a smoker for 26 years. I started when I was 14. I smoke between 2-3 packs a day. I quit cold turkey 8 days ago. It's taking every ounce of willpower I have not to go back. Every 15-30 minutes I get a craving attack. I can't sleep I wake up in cold sweats. I can't stop eating.

I've watched a lot of people die from smoking. I know if I don't quit it won't be long till my number is next. I'm 41 I honestly don't think I'll see 50 if I don't quit.

I just need to vent. It's 2:30 am and I don't have anyone to talk to or anything to keep my mind off of it.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:36 AM
link   
a reply to: wantsome

Good luck my friend, I quit 5 years ago and don't regret it a bit. I found after several failed attempts I needed a crutch to get me by and I started vaping. Was a difficult transition the first week, but after that I never looked back.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Good luck. Same situation here. I've been thinking about quitting tomorrow too.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Much respect

Im also making an effort to quit, or at least cut down to quit.
I went from a pack a day to smoker a week ago to having just 2-3 a day.
Its not cold turkey but its a start.

Stay strong mate,

p.s Ive found a bag of grapes on hand for when cravings hit to be helpful

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:47 AM
link   

Good luck.
It is a disgusting habit isn't it?
2-3 packs a day is a lot, I smoke about 3/4 to 1 pack a day and I am sick of it myself.
My wife quit cold turkey about 9 months ago and it didn't even bother her...we never smoked in the house, so I go outside or in the garage (I am in the garage right now puffing on one).
Just think of all the money you will save.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Yeah smokes are a disgusting thing
Went through a few personal issues years ago and took it up again, gave up a bit back and as much as I hate them, still crave them occasionally

Not coughing all the time, no morning coughing and the associated, food tasting good, not smelling horrible, being able to walk, run, do things without wheezing, not going to miss it I promise

Try vaping, that's a good option as suggested I believe, many flavour so you will have a few options other than tobacco, worth a crack

Hold fast

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:57 AM
link   

No advice can I offer but I wish you good luck.
My SIL (age 65) was diagnosed with lung cancer this year and although it is currently in remission she will be on oxygen and have other issues for the rest of her life I am sure. The double shots of chemo and radiation damn near killed her a few times.
Perhaps this thread will help give you strength.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I quit after 13 years.
Six years going.
Try some self hypnosis.
You wont regret it.
Have you started coughing up the "stuff"?
edit on 10-9-2017 by dashen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:05 AM
link   
good job making it this far, keep trying!

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Vaping worked for me, should have made the change ages ago....
Good luck

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:17 AM
link   
The cravings will go. Cold Turkey is the only was to kick the habit, so do.t be tempted on nicotine patches and chewing gum. Keep up the good work.

I found the £ I saved enabled me to buy more gin, but had to kick that too!

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Same! I've smoked for 26 years too and just recently decided to quit. Vaping makes it a lot easier. I know I'll have to quit that one day too but for now... a reply to: Vector99

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Good on you !

I went cold turkey 16 yrs. ago ... the smell makes me want to punch the smoker.

I convinced myself that the smell and cough was disgusting. That mindset is still working today ...

keep it up - you will enjoy the benefits. Try and avoid triggers by using the negatives to keep you moving forward.

Be Strong !!

Ed: Prreviously I smoked 20 a day for 24 yrs.
edit on 10-9-2017 by Timely because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:40 AM
link   
You're right. I am 45. I had a heart attack, and a stent placed 2 years ago. The stent install threw some sludge into my artery and gave me a pretty significant brain stem stroke. I smoked about the same as you, from 14 or so, until my heart attack. Needless to say, I quit. It was all due to smoking, according to my DR.

And the fact that I scoffed at taking cholesterol drugs, seeing that my grand parents lived long healthy lives without. My mistake. You are doing the right thing. It is still hard for me, 2 + years out.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Sending you good vibes, man.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Like some of the other folks said: Go with vaping rather than back to the cancer sticks. Cold turkey is what works. The cravings die off in time (and intensity).

Keep on keeping on.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Good luck to you,I quit every time I put a cigarette out,I'm trying to quit but under circumstances hard to do,keep on trying

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Do it. No time like the present to work on better health.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 03:18 AM
link   
My trigger was that I found myself one dark, cold wintry night ... driving around at 1am in search of cancer sticks.

I had a conversation with myself involving logic and emotion mixed with pronounced swearing !

I bought the smokes ... but chose to have them ... just sitting there; unopened ... should I let myself down and be a weak willed POS !

Never needed one again ( I knew the withdrawals were temporary 😎 ) !

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 03:42 AM
link   

Bon Chance. The hardest thing I ever did - stop smoking. But it's been worth the misery.

The patch helped a lot.

Awful herbal cigarettes that tasted terrible in addition for a few months for the hand to mouth habit.

Between the two, I made it - and haven't smoked in 20 years.

Good luck - hang in there.

3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months, and three years were the hardest times (oh and earthquakes).

<<   2  3 >>

join