It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Shift of Power & the Equifax Hack - Facing Multibillion-Dollar Lawsuit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

If I was an executive at Equifax, it would have been quite tempting to sell my shares of the company once I knew about the data hack! I'm not saying I would, but the company would surely lose stock value. It looks like it went down $25 from $145 to $120 after the announcement.
edit on 09pmSat, 09 Sep 2017 12:18:31 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tarzan the apeman.
a reply to: FamCore

Just a heads up. I read this this morning, if you go to Equifax website and sign up to see if your info was part of the breach you are waiving your right to the class action law suit.
www.marketwatch.com...
I read a different article on this that was on facebook.

It would be a shame if some of us missed out on the $4 we're gonna see from that lawsuit.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

I see you already know how much you're getting from the Equifax lawsuit. Good for you boy, way to stay on the ball.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Tarzan the apeman.

Go sign up for that thing he linked. If enough of you screw yourselves, I might get $5.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Britguy

The lawsuit against Equifax is for $70 Billion... wow!

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:03 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

143 million people compromised, at least, probably gonna go up. Lawyers and court fees are gonna snatch up a huge percentage of the money. Then whatever's left, the principle claimants get the biggest chunk of that. The millions of other people who sign up as part of the class have to split the relative pittance that's left over. Most of us will barely see enough to cover the cost of mailing in all the forms we'll have to file over the years this will take to play out.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: face23785

Yup, if I did the math right, 143 million into 70 billion is about $500 per person.....before anything is taken out.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NobodiesNormal

Yeah, for the first year. But then either you forget to cancel it in a year or realize you can't live without it since you've had it for a year, and pay $10 a month forever

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: BadBoYeed

Yes, and without considering it won't be divided equally. Most of us will see a few bucks. Only the principles will get significant awards.

posted on Sep, 9 2017 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: NobodiesNormal

originally posted by: BadBoYeed
Is it possible that this is a false flag to get people to enroll in their identity monitoring program? get half the US to enroll at $10.00 a month....that's a nice chunk of change

except that they are now offering that service free of charge to everyone, because of this event..

If - and it's a big if - you waive your right to sue them and/or join a class action suit and

what happens after the free year is over? Automatic renewal at cost unless you deliberately opt-out would be my guess.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Back on the first page of this thread, I advised everyone who is required to file tax returns to file them as soon as possible.

Here is an article in "Market Watch" advising the same.

As I said, you heard it here (Yeah, ATS!):

www.marketwatch.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bhadhidar
Back on the first page of this thread, I advised everyone who is required to file tax returns to file them as soon as possible.

Here is an article in "Market Watch" advising the same.

As I said, you heard it here (Yeah, ATS!):

www.marketwatch.com...[ /quote]

Hmmm, maybe for once the IRS could be proactive and assist the US taxpayer. It seems logical to me that the IRS could get a roster of the affected SSNs and flag them to i,mediately isolate any anomolies in the filing, like asking for the return to be sent to a different address or bank account number. Mine has been going to same address or account for 32 years, if it were to be different in 2018, should raise an immediate flag for IRS to check. Many people have to wait well into February or later to receive all documents required to properly file, so filing upon receipt of W2 is not an option.

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Lab4Us

Actually, the IRS and State tax agencies have tried something like what you suggested.

On certain taxpayer accounts, where a fraudulent return was suspected, or potentially expected, the agencies sent a letter to the taxpayers requesting additional documents in an effort to verify that the return was filed by the real taxpayer.

Of course, the people receiving these letters immediately thought that they were being scammed for personal information!

And, of course, the real scammers saw the opportunity and started sending letters themselves.

And a change in address is not a "red flag" to the IRS; lots of people move every year for legitimate reasons.

Consider how many Millions of Americans have been displaced by disasters this year alone.

Their refunds will not be going to the same address next year; in thousands of cases, those address no longer exist!

To be as safe as possible, file as early as possible, even if you do not have ALL the documents you require; you can file amended returns later (up to 3 years later for IRS returns).

edit on 10-9-2017 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Have any of you noticed the new commercial on TV advertising some company's service to check for you to see if your information is now being sold on the dark web?

How many have fallen for that one?

ETA: It's the same company that was involved in their own data breach in 2015:

On September 15, 2015 Experian servers were hacked. As many as 15 million people who used the company’s services, among them customers of American cellular company T-Mobile who had applied for Experian credit checks, may have had their private information exposed.[49]

wiki

Yeah...like I'm going to give THEM my info to see if it's being sold on the "dark web"....riiigghhht.

edit on 10-9-2017 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Equifax just HAD to hire a woman to head IT security so they picked one that studied music...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join