It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GET OUT - 87 Percent Approval on Rotten Tomatoes - Spoilers - LMAO Where is the backlash?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I can't really recommend this movie! The concept was interesting though, don't get me wrong. The reason I am spending some time making this thread about it though is because of its apparent high approval and ratings. Especially with the climate of things this year. I will get to that though.

I found the movie pretty predictable. Although the twist did get me. It wasn't really a great one though. Dare I say, it made the movie even more offensive. For the record, I was not triggered or offended personally whatsoever by this movie.

Rotten Tomatoes Tomatometer gives it 8.3/10 and the Audience Score is 4.2/5.

Critics Consensus: Funny, scary, and thought-provoking, Get Out seamlessly weaves its trenchant social critiques into a brilliantly effective and entertaining horror/comedy thrill ride.

www.rottentomatoes.com...

So what's this movie about, exactly?

Spoilers Ahead! TL;DR at Bottom.

An interracial couple spending the weekend at the white parent's mansion out in the country. Right from the start the racial tension is made clear! Her boyfriend asks if her parents know he is black. She confesses that it doesn't matter and why should it? He is uncomfortable but loves her and wants to meet her family. So they go. And man are they fascinating by his skin color. You see that they have a black groundskeeper, and a black woman for a housekeeper. All of which is commented on by the father. While he is giving his daughter's boyfriend a tour of the house, he skips the cellar because they sealed it due to "black mold". The film isn't very subtle..

So then a party is thrown in Grandpa's honor, even though grandpa and grandma are dead. Hey, it's tradition! All the guests are fascinated by the black boyfriend. Commenting on how "black is in", one woman feeling up his muscles. Comments on his genetics. Obviously making him more and more uncomfortable in the situation. I would feel like that too. Turns out one of the party guests is another black guy, which our main character is relieved to meet. But ofc, this guy has a strange disposition about him. Very "white"..

Alright so the girlfriends mother is skilled in hypnosis. So after all this crappy set up and strangeness, you get the vibe that she's hypnotized "the help" and are basically enslaving them in a sense. Same with the black guy that attended the party. I thought she hypnotized the guy for one of her friends. Our main character though, thinks he recognizes that black guy and snaps a picture of him and sends it to his friend back in the city. Turns out they knew him back in the day, and he has been missing for about six months.

Clearly hypnotized and some #! Our main character wants to gtfo at this point and I don't blame him.

While he and his girl are out walking and talking on the property, we see a scene where her father is auctioning of her boyfriend to the guests. A blind photographer (why the solid actor that played this role was in this # is beyond me [have you seen my stapler]) wins the auction.

Okay so if you haven't been following. Our black main character is thrown into a situation where there is underlining racism, a form of enslavement, and the auctioning off of himself for some white guy's purpose. It gets arguably worse though.

Even though he wanted to gtfo he doesn't. If you haven't already assumed his girl is in on all this, she is. While packing his bags to leave he finds a box of pictures of her, and countless other black dudes. Clearly she is the one bringing them in so her family can enslave them and sell them to rich jerk ass white folks.

Oh and then we learn her father is a neurologist and the twist is revealed.

They aren't only hypnotizing these black people into being subordinate. No...

They're straight up cutting out parts of their brain and replacing it with parts of the rich white people's brains.

That groundskeeper? Grandpa. That housemaid? Grandma.

The black guy at the party? Some rich white guy.

Only slivers of themselves remain, having been shoved into "the sunken place" through hypnosis.

W T F am I watching here?! LMAO.

People are hating on Robert E. Lee and Gone With The Wind, but love this movie?!

Well since I've already spoiled most of the movie I will tell you how it ends.

Our main man ends up in the cellar getting prepped for surgery. But at this point he's gotten wise to the hypnotic trigger that knocks him out. And although he is strapped in a chair unable to move his arms or legs, somehow manages to tear up some of the chair fabric and stuff it in his ears so he can't hear the trigger. And he waits.

When one dude comes to get him he beats him over the head with a bocce ball or something. Stabs the dad in the neck with the antlers from a mounted deer head. Stabs the mother in the face with some scissors. Stabs the guy he failed to kill at first with the bocce ball with the same scissors. Almost strangles his girl to death when she tries to stop his escape but as she doesn't pose much of a threat after he's gotten the rifle away calms down a bit and thinks better of it. Well.. he didn't get the rifle away. Grandpa is trying to kill him but I guess camera flashes brings the sliver of the real person to the forefront so he does that. And the black guy who grandpa stole as a vessel to live in shoots the girl in the gut before ending himself.

What the hell did I just watch?!

The most interesting thing to me was this movies high ratings. Especially with everything going on lately. I personally didn't like it. Not just because of what I felt are racist undertones. I just thought it was very poorly done. A good concept spoiled by making it racial.

TL;DR: White people steal black people and put their brains in black bodies to improve themselves
edit on 8-28-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:01 AM
link   
It was great. I don't get people who didn't enjoy it.

But to each their own.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

Fair enough!

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I found the movie pretty predictable. Although the twist did get me.

Dare I say, it made the movie even more offensive. For the record, I was not triggered or offended personally whatsoever by this movie.

So the movie was predictable yet it's twist caught you off guard. And you thought the twist made it even more offensive, yet it didn't offend you. Am I reading that right?

Besides, it was a great movie. It touched on a lot of stuff, perhaps even things that you missed, which made it so relatable. -Spoiler alert- He picked cotton to block his ears from the hypnosis? The Swahili song used throughout the film which says "you have to listen to your ancestors, run away, etc"? The constant "I would've voted for O again" as if going overboard with race related compliments is supposed to put someone at ease? The fact that the main couple looked like the American flag when sitting on the shore (while he was secretly being auctioned off)?

Come on, man. There were so many nuggets of irony that you have to give them props for it. And surely I missed a lot of them. It even highlighted many of the racial insensitivity that many liberals here have, though you'll have to figure them out for yourself. That's why a lot of people simply can't get mad at it; it's like it's forcing everyone to look in the mirror at some point in the movie. The horror plot was just the entertainment angle, even though that even touched on some other issues (ETA: like how the black & Hispanic police officers refused to help the main character's black friend when he asked for help, even going so far as to mock him for his conspiracy. The irony there should be obvious).

edit on 28-8-2017 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
So the movie was predictable yet it's twist caught you off guard. And you thought the twist made it even more offensive, yet it didn't offend you. Am I reading that right?

Yeah I thought a lot of it was predictable. I didn't say so much so that I predicted it all. And yeah, although I wasn't offended I thought it would be something some others might find extremely offensive.

Thanks for your post though. I'll have to go over it again when I have more time and some sleep. Perhaps a lot of it just went straight over my head and I'm the fool for it.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:05 AM
link   
Based on the trailer it does look fairly crap. Sure it may be a some what decent thriller but it's clearly shallow and predictable. The acting feels very fake and the plot is ridiculous, white people putting their brain in black people to improve themselves. There's no way on Earth it deserves such a high rating, apparently I'm just not hip enough to get it.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:08 AM
link   

No worries, man. The wording just had me perplexed. My older brother watched it several times & he noticed way more stuff than I did. There was even supposed to be some symbolism w/the deer scenes but I have no clue what.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Add to that the movie is taking a stab at liberal racism, a thing not always. Seen.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   

I thought the movie was horrible until I watched it again as if it were a comedy. First time I watched it, I was pretty pissed off. Feeding into the social narrative of whites being racist has been done to death and the timing here (even if coincidental) is bad in this politically hostile environment.
edit on 28-8-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I don't watch these movies.
Never found the appeal but it takes all kinds to make the world go around.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Did you miss that was Cotton out of the chair? He was picking cotton...
I thought it was ok. Key and Peele show has its moments, and I thought the movie Keanu was hysterical.
They do have talent, although I think this was only Jordan Peele's creation.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:18 AM
link   

It's a great thought provoking and entertaining movie. I enjoyed it. The premise was unique and the twists surprised me.

And now I run whenever I hear someone stirring a cup of tea.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 08:37 AM
link   

I read a great review about it here on ATS so I bought it to watch on Roku. What a piece of junk. So sophomoric in story and ending. The acting was really phony and unbelievable.

It was such a waste of time. Nothing special, unique, profound except hate those whities. Hard to believe in this political and social atmosphere that anyone would be interested in this story-purely and unapologetically racial.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Well then, I guess you'd love this movie. Long before it's time... yeesh..

Link to imdb

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   
i liked it. i thought it was very powerful.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Sounds like if you replace hypnotism and surgery with voodoo you would have the plot of The Skeleton Key.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I liked it, it was unpredictable and original. It actually speaks more of the inherent fears of blacks towards whites than anything else...the assumption that they're racist etc which did actually turn out to be unfounded even if they were really crazy psychos.

I didn't find it offensive in the slightest but hey, some people are gonna find a reason to be.

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: MagnaCarta2015
I liked it, it was unpredictable and original. It actually speaks more of the inherent fears of blacks towards whites than anything else...the assumption that they're racist etc which did actually turn out to be unfounded even if they were really crazy psychos.

I didn't find it offensive in the slightest but hey, some people are gonna find a reason to be.

You thought it was unpredictable? I called the ending out in 20 minutes. After assuming the same thing from seeing the trailer. Not bragging, just saying. I watch a ton of movies though so I kinda got a knack for it
edit on 28-8-2017 by Antipathy17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
The same sort of edginess that Hollyweird usually ends up swinging at these days.

Hey, look! All those white folks? PSSST! They're racists ...

posted on Aug, 28 2017 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I thought it was fairly well done, especially considering it was the director's first movie. He left some plot holes that needed to be addressed imho. There was also some unrealistic acting (guy figures out family is crazy, but doesn't assume his girl is in on it even after he has seen the pics of her with other guys).

It was the most profitable movie made this year apparently.

I thought it was ironic that so many of my friends loved it, yet the movie seems to be a comnmentary on liberal racism. These same people are die hard libs / democrats and can't see the irony.

I'd love to see more black directors making films other than BBQ /slap stick flicks and woe is me racism movies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join