It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Daughter Wants to Box

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

I boxed as a kid. The first time I exploded someones nose in the ring I got so upset I never did it again.
Getting hurt wasn't a deterent, it was hurting someone else that really got to me!

My daughter decided to start boxing when she was about 12. She ended up going into kickboxing and was a regional champion. I don't understand why you don't want your daughter to do that...?

My daughter started to realize as she entered adolescence that she began to feel like prey in the eyes of males, and she began to feel vulnerable. This is what made her want to feel like she had the power to defend herself if needed. She needed to experiece her strength. I think this is a rational and good thing!

A few years later she got into rugby, which she continued for many years. She is not a big girl, and yet she was able to show her father how she could block him and make it impossible for him to move forward -despite the fact he was twice her size and weight. These sports taught her how to use her body in ways which overcame the size/weight problem.

This is not only useful in practical ways to keep her safe at night, but it really has a positive mental effect in helping them develop self confidence and a positive self image.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Another vote for just let her try it. It's either her thing, or it's not her thing. She has to figure that out, you can't change her mind. Though I don't blame you for wanting to.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 02:43 AM
link   
She isn't going to go pro, its too late, therefore she will just get fit and learn discipline.

Tell her to go for it and give her all the support you can.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:24 AM
link   

Not knowing if you could talk her out of it, I think I would support her interest, do research and go with her at least until you felt comfortable and trusting in the gym. I certainly can understand your concerns and apprehension.
One way to look at it is, she will be 18 soon and then what?
I don't know if it would ever be possible for her to bulk up to featherweight but, she could try...(think Claressa Shields, she's middle weight or Laila Ali)
Perhaps at this point in your relationship, it may be better to support her and allow her the experience as smartly and safely as possible?
As a mother of teenage girls myself, that's all I got.
Good luck!

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
Why f***ing boxing!? How the hell do I talk her out of this?

Don't try to talk her out of it.

Boxing will get her fit. Teach her new physical and personal skills, self reliance and confidence. I am not a fan of boxing, but I know someone who coaches kids. It's safe, so long as you box to your level, are trained and wear protection.

Better than sitting on you arse at home getting fat and watching YouTube.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Imo that is great,and no need to talk her out of it.She'll be fit,strong and in a better position to defend her own life than many if not most other females.Besides,as parents we really should give our young a chance,and support them to follow their dreams and hearts' desires,as long as it harm none.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join