It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Daughter Wants to Box

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Yup. She's been on about this for a year. I'm very hesitant. My 17 year old 5'2", 110 lb daughter wants to box. She has never been an athlete. When she was little she hated to sweat. She programs computers and animates and plays video games.

This summer I told her she needed to help me put in fence and clear brush, so she could see what physical labor is really like. She stuck it out. She didn't complain. She pushed herself. She has a lot of physical capacity, she's just never used it before.

I told her that they are going to hit her. In the face. She said she knows. I told her she couldn't have picked a sport where she would work harder. She said she knows.

I'm not sure how else to deter her. I'm not thrilled about this idea. It'll be a 50 mile drive to a gym that will train her. She has never committed to anything in her life outside of computers and art. She quit drama club because it took her away from home too much. I tried to talk her into taking up some other form of martial arts, like Aikido or something... else. This is what she wants to do. I don't know what has gotten into her. I'm just baffled.

Why f***ing boxing!? How the hell do I talk her out of this?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Let her get in the ring and get hit a few times. It will either make her determined to learn or change her mind about repeatedly getting hit in the face.. I know...harsh...but if she's that set on it, let her put the gloves on and go a few rounds. Just make sure she's not in there with someone who likes to punish newbies.
ETA...Why would you want to talk her out of it? She may be the future female champ.
edit on 16-8-2017 by DAVID64 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Don't talk her out of it. Let her do it. If it's just a phase it will pass and if it's ends up being something she loves to do then that's great! She could be great at it.
edit on 16-8-2017 by MfId77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
If it weren't bad for the brain I'd be more excited for her.. all the best steering her toward martial arts
edit on 16-8-2017 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I am a father of teen aged girls. If your daughter is 5'2", 110 lbs?

I suggest krav maga.

She will learn how to destroy the testicles of any pushy prom date, and daddy can put his guns away...

edit on 16-8-2017 by madmac5150 because: Syntax

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64

Let her get in the ring and get hit a few times. It will either make her determined to learn or change her mind about repeatedly getting hit in the face.. I know...harsh...but if she's that set on it, let her put the gloves on and go a few rounds. Just make sure she's not in there with someone who likes to punish newbies.
ETA...Why would you want to talk her out of it? She may be the future female champ.

Well there is that. Trial by fire. We'll see what happens.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: MfId77

Don't talk her out of it. Let her do it. If it's just a phase it will pass and if it's ends up being something she loves to do then that's great! She could be great at it.

True. I'm a little afraid she will be great at it though. To be honest.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I am a father of teen aged girls. If your daughter is 5'2", 110 lbs?

I suggest krav maga.

She will learn how to destroy the testicles of any pushy prom date, and daddy can put his guns away...

I'll look into that. Maybe she'll be sold.
edit on 16-8-2017 by redhorse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Some people are just wired for boxing. Maybe she is. Though, I have to say, she sounds a bit short to be a boxer. 5'6" or 5'7", sure, but 5'2"... Eh, I don't know.

I would let her try it. Hell, she might be a beast.If not, at least you can say you gave her an opportunity. I wouldn't stifle her if that's what she wants to do.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse
I'm not sure how else to deter her.
Why f***ing boxing!? How the hell do I talk her out of this?

Why deter her or talk her out of it? If it's what she wants to do, it seems wrong that you would try to prevent her from doing it, especially when it's a sport that will keep her in shape. God forbid she gets away from the video games and tv.

To be honest, I hate when parents do exactly what you're doing. I grew up with a mother who constantly told me "you can't", just because she grew up being told the same thing. It only creates contempt when you undermine your child's confidence and question their ability, which is what it sounds like you're doing.

Stop trying to convince your daughter she can't do something she wants to try.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:31 PM
link   
That's a tough one.

I would ask her which way she prefers her hamburger.

Then drop these vids on her.

Let her know that a boxer wont make it 2 minutes with a Jiu Jitsu fighter and is horribly outdated.
Jits is brutally effective, and you almost never get injured.
No striking, so no drain bramage.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Yep, that is what you should do as a parent, encourage high risk choices.

Sorry but boxers generally are mentally retarded from brain damage.

It goes hand in hand with repeated blows to the head.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
a reply to: trollz

Yep, that is what you should do as a parent, encourage high risk choices.

Sorry but boxers generally are mentally retarded from brain damage.

It goes hand in hand with repeated blows to the head.

The same could be said for politicians, yet people encourage their kids to become "The President" or "Senator" one day.

I have more respect for Mike Tyson, than I do for HRC...

Tyson did his prison time.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   
She wants to box , let her box . She might turn out to be very good at it at very least she will be able defend herself if she needed to along with good for building confidence .
And its good way to stay fit .

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

Really?
That's odd.
I was an amateur boxer for 5 years before getting into MMA.
I fought for Cage Fighting Manitoba for 4 years.
I have 8 amateur fights and 6 professional fights under the belt
With 12-1-1.

I'm a mine engineer and owner of a company...no brain damage.

There are laws that protect fighters now....well in Canada at least.
Such as a mandatory 6 month suspension from the ring after suffering a KO or TKO from significant strikes.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Really?
That's odd.
With 12-1-1.

Such as a mandatory 6 month suspension from the ring after suffering a KO or TKO from significant strikes.

You wouldn't happen to know what accreditation and experience I should be looking for in a trainer here in the US would you?

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Tell her "NO," and make that stick regardless of what she does or says she will do.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 11:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82

Really?
That's odd.
With 12-1-1.

Yeah, cool story bro.I have been in martial arts since I was 5, I am 37.

What's your point?

Canadian fighters are like our pro-am women here.

I know a bunch of dared-out fighters, and your personal outcome doesn't really mean much.

A law that stops your brain from smacking the side of your skull?
A law that helps you recover if the collision was enough to cause unconsciousness?

No offence, but probably won't be asking you for business or hole-digging advice either.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Any decent gym isn't going to have her getting hit until she learns how to protect herself. She'll be fine. Boxing is fun. I need to start going back to my gym. There were tiny girls there too, and they did great.

posted on Aug, 17 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Times have changed. Boxing gyms aren't blood and sawdust on the floor and plenty of women go to them. The training is right up there as some of the hardest and all-round you can get. Cardio, muscles, stamina, speed and more. There's usually a great team ethic with a loyalty to the club and a social life outside it. It's not uncommon to see teams from boxing gyms attending races and Tough Mudder events. Her diet could improve and her confidence will begin to shine out even more.

50 mile round trip is fricking long way to go! Pricey on top of her subs. Gloves and wraps aren't much. Man, she'd be needing to go three times a week to get the benefit imo. Then again, people can do Ju Jitsu twice a week and really see a difference in their fitness and techniques. Maybe twice a week will do for boxing? At least for the early days. You might find a car share, another parent etc.

One important thing is go look at the gym yourself and speak to whoever runs it. A lot are family affairs (good) and others are new-starts looking at 'lifestyle boxing' more than getting in the ring. AFAIK they all have room for kids and youngsters to get involved. Typically these will be separate slots to adults and at early evening times and Sunday afternoons. You could even hang with her and join in. The main thing is it can take weeks and months before getting in the ring...if ever.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join