It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea's ICBM Reentry Vehicles Are Likely Good Enough to Hit the Continental US

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

The U.S. Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) has assessed that North Korea’s Hwasong-14/KN20 intercontinental-range ballistic missile (ICBM) test launch on July 28 failed to demonstrate successful atmospheric reentry, The Diplomat has learned.

The same assessment, however, notes that North Korea’s ICBM reentry vehicles would likely perform adequately if flown on a normal trajectory to continental U.S. targets.

U.S. government sources with knowledge of the confidential CIA assessment released in early August note that the reentry vehicle of the Hwasong-14 ICBM launched out of Mupyong-ni on July 28 did not survive to splashdown in the Sea of Japan. The reentry vehicle likely disintegrated; the assessment cites the high lofted trajectory of the July 28 launch as the primary reason for the reentry vehicle’s failure.

The CIA assessment notes that based on the two observed flight tests of the Hwasong-14 to date, North Korea’s reentry vehicle technology is likely sufficiently advanced to pose no performance problem should the missile be fired at a minimum energy trajectory.

The assessment of the reentry vehicle is supported by analysis of data “gathered from ground, sea, and air-based sensors” by the U.S. National Air and Space Intelligence Center (NASIC), one source told The Diplomat.

Source< br />
At the risk of sounding like Captain Obvious, this is very bad news. For the U.S., anyway.

The rhetoric from North Korea is getting worse. I'd be surprised if an all-out war doesn't break out within a week.
edit on 12-8-2017 by dianajune because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-8-2017 by dianajune because: typo

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I wonder if they used the same assessment tools for Iraqi wmd's?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: jaws1975
I wonder if they used the same assessment tools for Iraqi wmd's?

Or Russian collusion.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: jaws1975

That was my exact same thought. Good to know there are some who remember.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 03:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Ok so maybe they can hit the continental US on a normal trajectory but do they have any capabilities to accurately target anything or is it just let it fly and see where it lands? We only have the reports from NK themselves, which are probably exaggerated.
Also in regards to a nuclear warhead onboard a missile, do they have any proper arming safeguards and the capability to transmit arming commands to the missile?
So far they have only demonstrated the half-assed capability to launch their missiles and have detonated a couple nukes on land.
Nobody is mentioning their capability to put them together and launch and I am not entirely sure they have it.
edit on 12-8-2017 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I would think we only need to worry if "great Leader" theirs not ours, has an incurable disease or has become suicidal. Even then I would assume his top people would kill him first if they want to live.

The only other way it would be plausible is if their friend were ready with an EMP and or a tsunami bomb on both coasts.

Russia 'can launch tsunami against the US with nuclear bombs buried in ocean'

www.telegraph.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Either this is shaping up to be the second Cold War or it is going to be a nuclear war. Either way the people lose, so sad to see people hop on board so willingly after all the history that is at their fingertips. We never learn.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:19 PM
link   
a reply to: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

How can a gorilla and a mosquito have a "cold war" or a "nuclear war". North Korea is nothing.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

How can a gorilla and a mosquito have a "cold war" or a "nuclear war". North Korea is nothing.

The mosquito can still draw first blood and it would not be pretty.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Tell that to the people living in the south dude. a reply to: carewemust

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

That war is between factions that are equal. As long as it stays like that, nobody cares. Including the police, residents, etc.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: SeaWorthy

First blood and then, splat!.. its dead. No war.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Sounds like a very fragile reentry vehicle. A nearby interceptor missile explosion would make it disintegrate.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 05:56 PM
link   

China and others would do nothing? No Friends of NK?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Allaroundyou

That war is between factions that are equal. As long as it stays like that, nobody cares. Including the police, residents, etc.

The south are not equal, they do not have nuclear bombs.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   

China and others would do nothing? No Friends of NK?

They cant. They have too much invested in the US.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: RazorV66

Ok so maybe they can hit the continental US on a normal trajectory but do they have any capabilities to accurately target anything or is it just let it fly and see where it lands? We only have the reports from NK themselves, which are probably exaggerated.
Also in regards to a nuclear warhead onboard a missile, do they have any proper arming safeguards and the capability to transmit arming commands to the missile?
So far they have only demonstrated the half-assed capability to launch their missiles and have detonated a couple nukes on land.
Nobody is mentioning their capability to put them together and launch and I am not entirely sure they have it.

I believe that NK does have that capability. What I can't get over is how tptb keeps changing their narrative. First they don't have the capability to creat nukes or ICBM's, then they do, then there was the supposed "re-entry" issue, then it was claimed all of a sudden they can do all of these things.

In other words, NK is a nuclear power and must be dealt with accordingly. i just wish tptb were honest about this from the get-go. Imo we are going to have war in less than a week.

I wish I was wrong.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Sounds like a very fragile reentry vehicle. A nearby interceptor missile explosion would make it disintegrate.

If it works. We can only hope. Didn't the US have problems with a recent test for the interceptor?

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

The problem is, comparing country/population sizes. A nuclear bomb can destroy a lot no matter if it comes from a town of 20 or a country of millions.

North Korea IS nothing.... mostly, until they have a nuclear bomb. And if they use it, they're quite something actually. But having a cold war with NK, you're right, pretty silly to even suggest it's a possibility. Nuclear "war", well yeah, if someone terms a one or two day nuclear bombing exchange a war, lol. I see where you are coming from as I write this response but it's making me smile to see my ignorance so I'll be a ham and share.

posted on Aug, 12 2017 @ 09:38 PM
link   

It's a wait and see game now. Someone wants War, and they're hell bent on having it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join