It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Longer In a Desired Demographic

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 12:57 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

100% fact.
Our world will never be the same, and I'm actually glad I won't be here to see what it becomes, but I'm sad that my kids will.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 01:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: comawhite12
a reply to: infolurker

100% fact.
Our world will never be the same, and I'm actually glad I won't be here to see what it becomes, but I'm sad that my kids will.

Yeah. the future is going to be a lot of suck. Acid oceans...giant insects....deadly air... mid evil style enclaves...no electricity...no water... constant war.. oh and dont forget raping and pillaging.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Appearently it is way more about tolerance than anything..

Just like with drugs or alcohol your brain builds a tolerance for the natural feel good chemicals like endorphins..

So you literally can't get as excited as you used to... all we can do is use nastalgia to remember lol.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 02:39 PM
link   
My 42 year-old daughter could have written that. She was making some of the same complaints this weekend. Her main complaint was that people who are supposed to adults are acting like the children she used to have in her pre-school classes.

We gave up on cable tv over 25 years ago. Never missed it for a day. Our periods of "being mindless" are when we are watching old tv shows like MASH on Netflix. Used to like to watch nature documentaries but even they have been tainted by the Global Warming Cults.

These days when people ask me what I've been up to, I tell them I just tend my gardens and enjoy watching the wildlife. Had to explain to the guys who installed my "security cameras" why I wanted them on the back of the house, not pointing to the driveway. I want to watch the wildlife, don't care who is pulling in the driveway. Living at the end of the road out in the country has its advantages. I'll take watching four baby raccoons play in a wading pool any day over what passes for entertainment on tv. (At least from what I've seen in bits and pieces at the doc's office or other public places where I'm unavoidably exposed.)

I do listen to radio when my beloved St. Louis Cardinals are playing but even then, some of the ads between innings make me go, "WHAT?" The one that makes me particularly crazy is the PSA where the "fire pit" is "speaking" and saying that the fire pit caused a wildfire. Huh? Fire pits don't light themselves up. That's just crazy.

Now I'm off to can tomatoes and listen to some old Jimmy Buffet tunes.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Getting old rocks, I cannot wait to be lifted out of this world.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Right there with you!!! I am sick of half or more of the movies pushing some blasted agenda or other. I want to be entertained, to think, to enjoy; not be programmed. I want intelligent movies, too, not mindless drivel. I want good music, which means mostly older stuff, and avoiding the "pop" crap like the plague! I won't even listen to most commercials. Sometimes, I DVR shows JUST to be able to fast forward through the stupid ads. I don't need to be told how to feel, or see this or that agenda promoted, even in commercials.

It's not the age, though; it's society!!

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Raxoxane

Since 2012 i physically cannot watch TV,in fact for that whole year i never entered my lounge.Something happened to me around end 2011 idk what but whatever it was affected me profoundly and permanently.Ever after that,being near a Tv transmission makes my skin crawl,i can literally not bear it.I used to buy always several magazines per month,not gossip rags but world class local magazines with articles on fashion,cosmetics,health+ fitness,recipes,topical matters- but that too went the way of Tv.I just could not bear to read them,it held literally zero interest for me.

Mandela effect. My wife suddenly could not bite her nails as she has done forever. Many other changes in the two of us.
edit on 9-8-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

You all make me feel better.

Maybe misery loves company, but at least I don't feel alone in this. I actually feel better after reading the responses here.

All these 50 some calling themselves old Ha!!

Noticing some old souls though.
edit on 9-8-2017 by SeaWorthy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 07:03 PM
link   

So, we all know that getting old sucks. Pulling muscles getting out of bed. Losing parents and long time friends. Simply not being able to do some of the things we used to do physically.

My rant is probably less important, but equally annoying...not being in a desired demographic. Some of the examples I will give (but, not limited to) are...

1) I can't find a decent movie to go see. Seriously, I don't give a FF about superheroes and special effects. I need something to go to with substance or at least style and for God's sake hold the agenda. Just maybe something funny with a story or a good mystery movie that doesn't involve hacking people to bits.

There are more movies made than ever. Be a grown up. Seek out the good movies. They won't be on screen one of your local multiplex. But you're old. You can count high than one.

2) Commercials are obviously not trying to get my dollars (not that they would anyway). They skip around every half second and tell me how their stupid product makes me 'feel' as if I care how a car makes me feel or if Target Stores make me want to dance around like an idiot.

Turn on cable news or the digital extension channels. Plenty of ads for oldsters there.

3) Why is all the new music about humping each other, expletives and making money with out working? Seriously? Music used to make you feel something without appealing to our most basic instincts.

Basically the same as the movie thing. Use your search capacities. The Internet has been available for half your life. You should be an expert at searching.

Plus, vinyl is back! You can be on the cutting edge just by dusting off your old turntable.

4) Everything has a damn agenda. I know things 20 years ago sometimes had agendas, but now EVERYTHING has some agenda or is trying to exclude or include something, someone or an ideology.

You're just learning this? It's always been true. And you're on ATS ... the most agenda filled place on the 'net.

5) People that think their life will end if they miss a Facebook update or a Tweet by some suck job celebrity. I mean, society acts like sitting under a tree reading a book is a BAD thing somehow?

Let them. You can avoid all that. And you'll continue to lap the younger set in all things, including earnings, happiness, and wisdom.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:02 PM
link   
I can't believe that people haven't cut the cord in favor of Roku, Firestick, Apple, Amazon TV, Netflix etc.

International news, countless movies from classics to avant gard indy, docs, sports, everything.

Music channels of everthing from classical to trance.

Whatever your taste in entertainment....it's there

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 08:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

Appearently it is way more about tolerance than anything..

Just like with drugs or alcohol your brain builds a tolerance for the natural feel good chemicals like endorphins..

So you literally can't get as excited as you used to... all we can do is use nastalgia to remember lol.

I wouldn't say that's the answer. If it was, then the stuff I've already gotten pleasure from once wouldn't bring me the same pleasure again, over and over. And while I will grant that the first time is the best, I still derive a high level of satisfaction from stories I've read over and over before or movies I've liked that I watch again and again.

For the most part, if I really like it, I will continue to derive enjoyment from it.

If your theory held weight, I would gradually lose all enjoyment from those things I used to really enjoy, but I still love reading my favorite books and watching my favorite movies, playing my favorite games.

The issue is that there isn't much coming out that rivals them. Occasionally, I do find one or two here or there, but most stuff is mediocre.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: YouSir

I'm with you man.
Don't let these pups make you feel old.
Movies,man I just watched "the founder" with Michael Keaton,did me a world of good.
You're feeling old because you are buying into tha old mindset..fook these pups man,
Their nads will drop one day and they too will see how foolish they acted.
You ain't old dude unless you think you are,don't play their game with their head in a wifi monitor,sheet they can't take two steps without checking their phone.live it up laff it up love it up....and keep packing.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:36 PM
link   

making money with out working

Sorry, but your rant became invalid to me at this point You do NOT get to dismiss the Dire Straits on my watch

edit on 9-8-2017 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Good meaningful thread. It's true everything except technology has taken a nosedive since the millennium. The world definitely needs and deserves a renaissance.

As for getting old, I remember what Peter Buck of R.E.M. once said. "I like getting old. I love the power that comes with it. One thing I hated when I was young was the helplessness that I felt". Enjoy your age and be proud of it, you lived through better times. :-)

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 09:57 PM
link   
So many older people here that hate TV and listen to Pandora, Ats must be scrambling our brains.

Most TV junkies Think this site is loony from what can tell there is definitely a common denominator there somewhere.

I'm in my 40s and I don't watch TV... Why is this sounding like a therapy session.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I watch some TV - a little Bizarre Foods, some stuff on the science channel, a few things on Sy-Fy, some sports, Shark Week actually had some interesting docs on this year, the Travel Channel shows with Josh Gates because we like his sense of humor and attitude.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I've just lost interest in it, my girlfriend likes masterchef so the TV is on every now and again. I find the advertising does my head in, we also have very limited choice in stations in this country.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Embrace the suck....lost my Dad last year, screwed up my ankle, gallstones, back hurts, work that was easy, is now much different

At 52 almost 53, thats what I'm trying to do,embrace the suck I appreciate my teens and twenties even more, but also realize got a lot of living left. Its weird though I am no where near where I thought Id be at this age, but I'm still happy still looking for # to do, and refuse to let life beat me down. Highly suggest getting around like minded people, still chasing the dream,but also find time to enjoy the little things. Like it was raining here last night, opened the window and just lost myself in the sounds of the rain. I have to make time for that, and remember when you didn't give a # about traffic cause you were listening to a great song on a cassette. We got information overload, but our generation grew up before that,live that behind concentrate on the basics and the little things.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I'm 54 and in the pre-stages of " old man clout". That's when you get to the age you can tell people too kiss you arse for zero reason at all. Age, it makes all the difference in the world. I'm happier now than at any point in my life.

posted on Aug, 10 2017 @ 03:00 AM
link   
We should start an over 50 club. Yes, getting old sucks, but...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join