It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Philadelphia Tax Makes Soda More Expensive Than Beer

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Thats right.
Beer is cheaper than Pepsi in Philly.
The law of unintended consequences strikes again.

"Philadelphia's tax on sugary drinks has made soda more expensive than beer in the city"

"The study finds that the tax is 24 times higher than the Pennsylvania tax rate on beer."

Heres a good one.

"The Tax Foundation points out that unlike most cities, Philadelphia passed the tax specifically to raise revenue, not to fight obesity. The city even includes diet sodas in its tax, as a way to raise money for pre-kindergarten programs.

However, less than half of the $39.4 million collected since the tax went into effect on Jan. 1 has gone to education funding"

Not only did they fail to raise the desired income, they didn't spend the money were it was supposed to go.
Typical.

freebeacon.com...

I forgot this kicker..

"Earlier this year PepsiCo announced it was laying off up to 100 workers because of the tax, which the company blames for costing a 43 percent drop in business."

edit on 8-8-2017 by Bluntone22 because: Eta

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 05:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Philly sounds like theyre taking a page outa King Goerge the 3rds playbook

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:44 PM
link   

This is a good thing. Can't even get ants to drink or eat most of the stuff. I did find that they will if you can separate the sugar from everything else.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Shocking!

You mean, raising taxes a huge amount and they expecting the government to spend the money wisely didn't work out?

But I am sure if we did this on a national scale, it would be a tremendous success.

Right Bernie?

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Beer at least has some food/nutritional value. Fizzy Sugar Water does not.

Makes sense to me.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

Nobody killed whole families while driving while drinking a soda either.

Excessive taxation no matter on what...is the very reason that spawned our revolution. King Goerge needed to pay for his war with France and taxed the colonists more and more.

Taxing like this is ridiculous and unfair

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Sure, sure,
Beer has no adverse side effects.

They also taxed diet soda not just sugared.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Sure, sure,
Beer has no adverse side effects.

They also taxed diet soda not just sugared.

Yeah, because diet soda is supposedly a "white" thing and they wanted to make sure they taxed the holy heck out of everyone, not just poor inner city folk.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Proves how little they think of the average person you're too stupid to have a choice therefore I will tax you

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket

Excessive taxation no matter on what...is the very reason that spawned our revolution. King Goerge needed to pay for his war with France and taxed the colonists more and more.

Can you prove that - remember the 'twinkie' defense - guy got away with murder.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 08:24 PM
link   
It's brutal for those that drink sugary things here.
I work in literally the most middle part of Center City Philly and going to any store around there is like $3.50 for a 16 ounce anything with sugar in it.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Chicago's version of this just took effect on the 2nd. Do you guys in Philly have a "bag tax" as well? We basically get taxed 7 cents every time we need to carry purchased goods ie. like from the grocerie store.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

And Sugary drinks have slowly and painfully killed or made millions of peoples lives ruined.

Honestly, people know alcohol has it's risks, those who abuse feel the punishment rather quickly, socially and physically.
But when people think that drinking three cans of pepsi a day is OK with other random sugary junk throughout the day in 'healthy' foods, it all adds up quickly. And when it's available to children as well.

I have a personal experience with sugary drinks, and it was because I was just naive and ignorant to it's terrible nutrition.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

And Sugary drinks have slowly and painfully killed or made millions of peoples lives ruined.

Honestly, people know alcohol has it's risks, those who abuse feel the punishment rather quickly, socially and physically.
But when people think that drinking three cans of pepsi a day is OK with other random sugary junk throughout the day in 'healthy' foods, it all adds up quickly. And when it's available to children as well.

I have a personal experience with sugary drinks, and it was because I was just naive and ignorant to it's terrible nutrition.

Oh an people spend too much time on personal devices and get unhealthy, so we should tax them until they are unaffordable.

And people get hurt playing baseball, so tax bats and balls through the roof.

And what about Gluten? My god Gluten! Please someone tax gluten out of existence!

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   
the poor don`t care because if I`m not mistaken you can`t buy soda with food stamps so it`s just the middle class that are getting screwed, again. I`m guessing that the people who who have cars in philly just drive outside of the city limits to buy soda at a much cheaper price.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Tardacus

In Chicago you can use food stamps to purchase certain "sugary drinks" and they are exempt from the tax.

www.google.com...
edit on 8-8-2017 by RespectfullyDisagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

So because you were stupid about it everyone else must be too?

That's no excuse for justifying a "sin" tax on anything and everything the government decides it must save you from.

posted on Aug, 8 2017 @ 11:16 PM
link   
This just leaves a "bitter" "sweet" taste in my mouth

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Crazy. The sad part is they still think what they did is going to work, or they will have another idea just like this one and say ...................this will work. It is all good as long as they keep getting your hard earned money.

posted on Aug, 9 2017 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

originally posted by: strongfp

Oh an people spend too much time on personal devices and get unhealthy, so we should tax them until they are unaffordable.

And people get hurt playing baseball, so tax bats and balls through the roof.

And what about Gluten? My god Gluten! Please someone tax gluten out of existence!

They do tax cell phones, hence why some smart phones are more expensive than others, it's a luxury.
But, you are comparing apples to oranges, or rather, apples to an electronics, and sports here. Much different.

How does that even relate to something that people can get addicted to by just consuming one or two on a daily basis?
They tax alcohol and tobacco heavily, why is highly caffeinated and sugary drinks any different?

There was even an epidemic with mountain dew in the states. ABC News Mountain Dew mouth.

And populations were targeted around the world with advertising and rise in diabetes begins. There's a direct correlation to sugary drinks and long term health issues. Education works, but wanna know how our petty minds work, just put a larger dollar sign on it and people will start taking it more seriously.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join