It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Carmageddon is coming

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:49 AM
link   

edit on 24-7-2017 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: markosity1973
No. Just no.

Maybe in the cities, but out here in the country it will not work. Electric cars do not have the range we need to cover the distances I need. They cannot tow a trailer with cattle in it.

Autonomous vehicles can't cope with kangaroos on the road.

This is just new age crap talk to stir up interest in next gen cars.

You city slickers are welcome to your communal self driving electric crap boxes. But I won't be lining up to buy one any time soon.

Change is a reality you have to consciously accept.

You want to go and spend big money on a vehicle with a combustion motor in the near future that is your choice, if it hurts your bottom line well hey that was your choice.

Gotta love a society that allows freedom of choice right ?

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:04 AM
link   
It's not about change resistance.

I live from and travel to at least every six weeks 450km from a capital city. My daily drive to work is 40 km down kangaroo infested roads.

Self driving cars CANNOT cope with roos. Why on earth would I risk my life on inferior technology that cannot deal with a simple but very unpredictable animal?

mobile.abc.net.au...

How am I going to drive an electric car, when their designed range is barely enough to get me in and out of work? What if I need to go another 10 minutes up the road to get groceries while I am in town?

I might consider a hybrid, but they are way too expensive and as Top Gear proved, less economic than a sports car when on a track on their gas motor. Given that their battery range is again very small, I highly doubt I'd get better gas mileage than a good quality diesel.

I never said never, I said I ain't gonna buy the cars that are on the drawing board right now. I've looked at many and they are only being designed for daily city use.

edit on 24-7-2017 by markosity1973 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:14 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

There is a simple answer you are thinking in todays readily available technology, the big players in automotive technology are all shifting their ingenuity into electric, it is the future no matter how much you protest it.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:21 AM
link   
After watching the TT zero for years and seeing companies such as Harley embrace electrics, I'd be dead keen on a decent electric bike.

The speed is there, just need a bit more range.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Don't take it so personally lol.

Electric has some massive problems. Range, storage batteries and recharging then being the biggest ones.

If someone ever got the Tesla wireless electricity transmission working so they didn't need batteries at all and simply drew energy out of the air, I'd say sign me up

But they don't. And politics dictates that won't fit quite some time to come.

And then there's those roos that AI driving can't deal with. They are sneaky little rotters alright. For now I'll trust my own instincts rather than risk going off the road into a pine tree because AI couldn't figure out that it just needed to come to a stop and honk the horn.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   
a reply to: markosity1973

My bad I'm drinking, again...

Regardless of automation which at some point will happen, the revolution of the electric car will fuel the change (pun intended )

When numbers like 2000 parts in a differential can go down to a little as 20 , there are some serious implications for many industries.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
After watching the TT zero for years and seeing companies such as Harley embrace electrics, I'd be dead keen on a decent electric bike.

Sure you would say no , too boring right

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 06:53 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

too many wheels there, mate.

I'll save that for when im a doddery old fool who can't be trusted on a bike

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

originally posted by: Irishhaf

Without a major drop in price and increase in torque, coupled with a massive increase in infrastructure (we in the states cannot even get our govt to fix our electrical infrastructure) its 20 years minimum for it to be viable across the states.

Oh and I forgot all of the farm equipment that are diesel, I have no doubt it will come, but not soon for large stretches of the world.

Then you guys will be fine without the likes of all the leading car manufactures then....good luck with that

Those same leading car manufacturers that are now being fingered for having worked with VW to doctor their emission numbers and mileage numbers, Ill be fine without them thanks.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Without a major drop in price and increase in torque, coupled with a massive increase in infrastructure (we in the states cannot even get our govt to fix our electrical infrastructure) its 20 years minimum for it to be viable across the states.

Oh and I forgot all of the farm equipment that are diesel, I have no doubt it will come, but not soon for large stretches of the world.

Just more evidence they are all looking to cleaner technologies.

Then you guys will be fine without the likes of all the leading car manufactures then....good luck with that

Those same leading car manufacturers that are now being fingered for having worked with VW to doctor their emission numbers and mileage numbers, Ill be fine without them thanks.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:46 AM
link   

No one is forcing you to change....yet..

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Rememberwhat the digital watch did to the Swiss watch industry.

Not a good analogy, the Swiss timepiece market volume has more than doubled since 2,000 and there is often a waiting list for some brand's higher end complications.

edit on 24-7-2017 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
I was remembering the fuss in the press when the new technology came in. At the time the Swiss industry thought it was suffering.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 07:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

The industry reinvented itself in the wake of the Quartz Crisis and now is more profitable than ever.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Give it a few years...

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 09:14 AM
link   
What happens when there is is traffic jam for 3-4 hours on hot day and all the "electric" drivers are trying to maintain their "coolness"

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
The Swiss watch industry (which charged very high prices based on pinpoint accuracy in hand-crafted technology) certainly felt devastated at the time.I remember reading articles about it. They had to invent the Swatch in order to win back sales.

The mobile phone would presumably affect wrist-watches in general. I still don't see why, frankly. If someone is running to catch a train and wants to check his progress, how can pulling out a phone and pressing buttons possibly be more convenient than simply glancing down at the wrist?

I agree completely. People that don't wear watches just aren't going to start suddenly if they have a phone, but people that do wear watches aren't ever going to stop for any reason. I have a feeling that even if I had a clock implanted to allow me to look up and right to see it I would still wear a watch. You don't just stop wearing something that you have worn almost your entire life that you depend on for telling you what time it is. That doesn't even take into account that watches are fashion accessories and statements of wealth or pretend wealth for many people.

I personally am tired of "Big Time Display" trying to undermine my watch wearing, and frankly I will fight and die for my fellow watchers.

First they came for the pot heads....

Step 2: ??

Then they came for the watchers, because frankly they loved our time pieces and always wanted one for themselves.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 12:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: sputniksteve
I personally am tired of "Big Time Display" trying to undermine my watch wearing, and frankly I will fight and die for my fellow watchers.

Panerai or die.

posted on Jul, 24 2017 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The ignorance about the electric automobile is great. Tell me how an electric and autonomous vehicle uses less parts? We are looking at more specialized parts and electronics are not immune to environmental problems. Electronics are more vulnerable to shoddy production. So we can have electric vehicles, but like anything electronic wait till the bugs get worked out before purchasing. I haven't seen any info on the durability of them either because of the newness of production. Will running the vehicle for prolonged periods cause any problems with conductivity of the circuit boards? Dead solder is a common occurrence in circuit boards and we are looking at a vehicle that will rely on numerous circuits due to having a computer. Frankly it is over complicating our transportation,look at it this way older cars had a manual method of rolling windows up & down, very simple and cheap to replace. Then the auto industry started putting in electric windows in cars, very user friendly but when the electronics in that window break down... A very costly and involved process to replace. Does anyone honestly believe that repairing one of the electric will be cheap? Just parts alone will be costly and the repairmen [can't call them mechanics] will have the ability to charge larger amounts because replacing parts will require more time & effort. Yea electric vehicles will be just so great.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join