It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear tests that have shown utter incompetence. Scary Stuff.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I have always been interested in the after effects that nuclear weapons tests back in the 40's through 60's have had on this planet.

There are so many examples of absolute incompetence exhibited by our early scientists that developed and detonated these terrible weapons throughout the world. The worst, is when we used them on populations, well known but still unbelievable, but the tests we conducted could have easily caused more damage, because we basically had no idea what to expect afterwards.

So, looking through YT , which has some great examples of this absolute lunacy, I came across this one compilation that I would like to share. It was compiled by a user "Science Day", and while just a scratch of the things we did back them, really shows that we had no idea what we were doing.
Very scary.

5 Nuclear Detonations that went WRONG

When we educate our younger on the use of Nuclear Weapons, and their effects on this planet, these are the kinds of things we have to show them in the classroom. Not military propaganda or false statements about how we "know how to use them",
because we don't, and probably never will.

If you have any personal favorite examples of the incompetency I mention, please feel free to add them to the list. Perhaps we can send the thread to our 'educators'.
edit on 23-7-2017 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

Embedded:

What really gets my goat is the cruel treatment/death of animals for "testing"- tie up a poor frightened creature and watch it suffer and perish?
Operation Plumbbob is just one example:

edit on 7232017 by seattlerat because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 01:16 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

Thanks for embedding that. Relevant addition as well.

Makes you take a step back and ponder our cognizance and ever changing interpretation of what Humanity is.

edit on 23-7-2017 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Makes me wonder what the govt is testing on the civilians now?

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 02:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: seasonal

Makes me wonder what the govt is testing on the civilians now?

Yeah. We have a bad track record of public safety. Any "testing" without our advanced knowledge, would be criminal at best.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:39 PM
link   

My favourite is quite the opposite.

Nils Bohr was the head of the Nazi effort to develop the a-bomb. Firstly, he calculated that enormous amounts of fissile material would be required.

Then, his experiments consumed lots of the materials that the Nazi's gathered.

There were also suspicious fires and accidents that occurred but the Nazi's were unable to determine who to blame.

Then, after the war, he was imprisoned with other German nuclear scientists, his co-workers on the German a-bomb project, who had heard of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs. The other scientists, based upon Bohr's calculations could not understand how the US could have made bombs that worked with so little fuel.

Bohr, with almost no hesitation, wrote out an equation in front of them deriving the exact amount of fuel used in the American bombs.

He had known all the time and had deceived the other scientists and the Nazi's, preventing Germany from getting the a-bomb.

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: seattlerat

What about the Islanders who were exposed to fallout and even allowed back to their Islands before they were safe.

The American efforts to 'help' the affected Islanders was little more than monitoring them as they died of cancers and other symptoms of direct exposure.

They didn't even give them Iodine and chelation therapy.

The children of those original Islanders are still getting cancers and dying at high incidence rates and I doubt that their environment is 'clean' even now.

The effect of U.S. nuclear testing on the Marshallese - Bulletin of Atomic Scientists
edit on 23/7/2017 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2017 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

...He had known all the time and had deceived the other scientists and the Nazi's, preventing Germany from getting the a-bomb....

That is an excellent story. Perhaps he realized who he was actually working for and had some conscience. Saying that, Oppenheimer had some soul searching revelations , but after the deed was done.

posted on Aug, 1 2017 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Add to this CASTLE BRAVO shot in 1954 at Bikini Island

This was test of thermonuclear device (AKA H Bomb) using "dry" configuration using Lithium to create tritium
as fuel for the fusion stage

Weapons designers assumed Lithium isotope 6 would create tritium when struck by neutron, the more common
Lithium 7 assumed to be inert. Bomb was fueled using Lithium enriched to 40 % Lithium 6

Were wrong - Lithium 7 when struck by high energy neutron creates tritium, helium and extra neutrons

Excess tritium caused a run away reaction and extra high energy neutrons caused fission in natural U 238 tamper

Estimated yield was 4 -6 megatons, got 15 megatons. Also because of fission in tamper bomb was especially "dirty"
and produced large amount of fallout

Because of excess fallout and shift in winds area downwind was subject to high levels of fallout

Natives on nearby island had to evacuated along with test staff on Bikini

Japanese fishing boat LUCKY DRAGON No 5 was caught in fallout cloud and crew irradiated, with one dying of radiation
sickness

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   

A little factual error on your part. Neils Bohr did not work on the German atomic project, Werner Heisenberg did.

Neils Bohr actually assisted with the US program known as the Manhattan Project.

If you replace Bohr with Heisenberg in your post, it would be accurate.

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I LOVE the part where they weren't SURE if it would ignite the atmosphere or not ,but did it anyway...

posted on Aug, 16 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: BomSquad

A little factual error on your part. Neils Bohr did not work on the German atomic project, Werner Heisenberg did.

Neils Bohr actually assisted with the US program known as the Manhattan Project.

If you replace Bohr with Heisenberg in your post, it would be accurate.

Sorry, you are right.

Thanks!

posted on Aug, 18 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
If anyone wants to read about the history of the atomic bomb, I would highly recommend "The Making of the Atomic Bomb" by Richard Rhodes. Excellent book and it tells a lot more than just the Manhattan Project.

top topics

join