It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Have Successfully Reversed Brain Damage in Toddler Who Drowned

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+15 more 
posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Found some very cool, good news(for once)on the internet today.
NewsWeek Link to Story

In what is believed to be a world first, scientists have reversed brain damage in a toddler that drowned in a swimming pool. Using oxygen therapy, scientists were able to restore her ability to walk and talk just months after the accident, in which she spent 15 minutes submerged in a swimming pool and two hours where her heart did not beat on its own.

Last February, poor lil Eden Carlson got through a baby gate and fell into a pool.

The accident took place in February 2016. Two-year-old Eden Carlson had managed to get through a baby gate and fall into the family swimming pool and was in the 5 degree Celsius water for up to 15 minutes before being discovered.

Luckily, she was resuscitated, but unresponsive for a month, with heavy brain damage.
Doctors and researchers decided to treat her with oxygen therapy

After being resuscitated and treated in hospital for just over a month, she was unresponsive to all stimuli. She was immobile and constantly squirmed and shook her head. MRI scans showed deep injury to the brain’s gray matter, as well as loss of white and gray matter. In a bid to reverse the brain damage, researchers at the LSU Health New Orleans School of Medicine and the University of North Dakota School of Medicine began treating her with two types of oxygen therapy.

You can read about the specific types and application of oxygen therapy, along with her progression in the article, but somewhat miraculously, she has made a full recovery.

An MRI scan a month after the 40th HBOT session showed almost complete reversal of the brain damage initially recorded. Researchers believe the oxygen therapy, coupled with Eden having the developing brain of a child, had activated genes that promote cell survival and reduce inflammation—allowing the brain to recover. The case report is published in the journal Medical Gas Research.

This might be groundbreaking

Concluding, the researchers say that to their knowledge, this is the first reported case of gray matter loss and white matter atrophy (types of brain damage) reversal with any therapy and that treatment with oxygen should be considered in similar cases. “Such low-risk medical treatment may have a profound effect on recovery of function in similar patients who are neurologically devastated by drowning."

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: o0oTOPCATo0o

That is amazing! I'm glad this little girl will be OK. I couldn't imagine finding one of my kids face down in a pool especially in February.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 10:19 AM
link   
To be fair it's better to drown in winter, the cold slows damage to the brain.

But that is good news. Oxygen therapy is also used as first aid for people who have had their hearing damaged by loud noises.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Pretty amazing.

As I was reading I was thinking her being so young probably helped the treatment along quite a bit.

I wonder if it would be as effective on someone in their 20s or 30s.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
Pretty amazing.

As I was reading I was thinking her being so young probably helped the treatment along quite a bit.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if a brain so young and relatively less developed has a greater percentage of undifferentiated or poorly differentiated cells compared to older brains, thereby greatly facilitating recovery.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Nope, not crying at my cubicle. Not at all. It's just humid in here.

-Alee

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is great news

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I swear Hyperbaric oxygen treatment is the key to prolonged life.

If we could make earth into one big Hyperbaric chamber through seeding an additional thick layer of atmosphere (water vapor), we would end up living for 900 years again.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 01:23 PM
link   
www.facebook.com...
there is a second part to this here is the facebook page
They are so young to be so strong I hope anyone seeing this post will realize just how peddy some of our complainants are .
To live through this and beat death is the true test of courage .

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 01:26 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

It's interesting you say that.

I once got into a religious debate with a guy.
I told him that Noah, among others in the bible could not live as long as the book said they did.
(Noah gave birth at age 500 or something like that, according to the bible)

One of his biggest arguments, was that there was significantly more oxygen in the atmosphere, along with way less pollutants.
I doubted that it could have that much of an effect, but I gotta give it to the guy for sticking to his guns.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Monsieur Neary

Pretty amazing.

I was thinking the same thing. I wonder if a brain so young and relatively less developed has a greater percentage of undifferentiated or poorly differentiated cells compared to older brains, thereby greatly facilitating recovery.

At the end of the article, one of the doctors said that the fact that her brain was in a developmental stage, is the reason it worked.
Nonetheless, I hope they at least start trying it with some older folks with brain damage.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 01:41 PM
link   
snip
edit on 7/20/2017 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BretePete

As you imagine, we like to operate in the shadows as much as possible.

hahahahahahahahaha

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Longer even. The condition you describe was what existed in the years immediastely following God's creation just as set out in Genesis (the Bible). In those years it did not rain and the ground was watered by a mist. Gen. 2:5-6. Seth lived 912 years; Enos, 905; Cain in 910 and a whole list of others. Gen.5:1-32.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Monsieur Neary

Pretty amazing.

The brain of someone so young is still growing, so there are plenty of new cells and connections being formed.

There's always some replenishment going on. Stroke victims can recover from paralysis through specially designed rehabilitation programs to get the muscles and motor control nerves to reconnect to each other.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 05:43 PM
link   
god people are slow
( they counted by seasons not years as spring and fall were very important .
and even then they had more then 4 seasons we just count 4 but fact is farmers count 6 to 10 .
so when you add age that way you can easly get to be 900 or even a 1000 .
counting years is a church thing .
farming was much more important and knowing when to plant and when to harvest .
But i degress click the facebook link i posted for the on going story of this child .

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Yes but developmental stage is not some mythical stage, it's a process where new stem cells and other chemical/electrical processes the body goes through to synthesize new cells.

The body creates new stem cells in the body during fasting and stem cell research is gaining ground, so it's not unreasonable to think that a combination of different therapies including this could reverse brain damage in the not too distant future.

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 06:39 PM
link   
a reply to: jwh125

Yes sir. The firmament. Before the waters of heaven mixed with the waters of earth.

Very good.

Well I hope that person was not being an angry little jerk about it. LoL

It makes the most sense given what we already know.

The other guy may have mentioned experiments done on plants and insects born and raised in hyperbaric chambers. He may have mentioned the large sizes these organisms grew to and how well they were looking on a cellualar level.

Also worth mentioning are the higher levels of Oxygen and Nitrogen in past times as discovered by ice cores and sediment samples.

We have been losing atmosphere since the start. I wonder if Mars is our future?

Can we change that? Volcanic eruptions provoked by nukes that can add a layer of ash...no not good.

How about water jet streams shot into orbit? Like giant pillars holding up the sky. Maybe...

Maybe its all been done before.

Have a good one.

edit on 7 20 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar

Ancient people used many forms of time keeping. Many cultures had several going at once.

They may have had a lunar or solar based calendar depending on when and where they lived.

They may have had a simple cyclical long count for years and a complex single count system for government term limits or ceremonial dedications.

What ever the purpose was, it dictated the cycle and method for measure.

Religion was not what religion is now.

We think to institutions now when we hear of religion. Then we thought to spirits, like in a dream world.

Post Roman empire we became very dogmatic.

Spirituality was not rule based. Religion always has been. Thats why religion is for government /empire, and spirituality is for people /life.

edit on 7 20 2017 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2017 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Of course, the other side of that statement is that water vapor is far more effective greenhouse gas than CO2 ever was.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join