It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter users sue Donald Trump for blocking them over critical comments

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I rarely start threads and mostly post comments, but I thought this issue was worthy of effort. Please inform me of your opinions with civility and reflection. It would be greatly appreciated as it is sorely needed in this forum.

Twitter users sue Donald Trump for blocking them over critical comments

My thoughts on the matter are as follow: the President of the United States has sworn to uphold the Constitution of the United States. The First Amendment of the United States Constitution protects Freedom of Speech.

Above all else, the First Amendment means that government has no power to restrict expression because of its message, its ideas, its subject matter, or its content. To permit the continued building of our politics and culture, and to assure self-fulfillment for each individual, our people are guaranteed the right to express any thought, free from government censorship. The essence of this forbidden censorship is content control. Any restriction on expressive activity because of its content would completely undercut the 'profound national commitment to the principle that debate on public issues should be uninhibited, robust, and wide-open.

Buckley vs. Valeo

Therefore, Trump has the right to use Twitter to circumvent the media, I give him that, as his right to Freedom of Speech.

Those he blocks on Twitter also have this right. As they have now proceeded to sue the President of the United States for infringing their right of free speech, please tell me, ATS, what you think, as Americans... how does this pertain to the right of free speech in America, for all Americans?

edit on 11-7-2017 by antoinemarionette because: typo

edit on 11-7-2017 by antoinemarionette because: link

+12 more 
posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:08 PM
link   
a reply to: antoinemarionette
Twitter is a private company, and no one's speech has been infringed upon.

BS lawsuit, grasping at straws since the Russian narrative is losing steam and fast.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Poor poor snowflakes!

Ya know what? I don't even have a twitter account but yet I can go on an look at who is posting what. I just can't troll them. That's what this is all about!

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Sooner or later 4chan trolls will descend upon them just like what they did to CNN when they blackmailed Han.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Is harassment considered free speech?

I ask because the most hardcore trolling in human history, wouldn't that be considered harassment?

That's what I have seen every time I've clicked on one of his tweets (which by the way has been hilarious every time).

But imagine if there weren't people posting 15 posts in a row of body shaming memes, and there being hundreds of them doing it, in every tweet.

Imagine if people could each remark on each tweet and them no be so inundated with insanity that the things people say about the tweets could actually be read by anyone besides computer AI. The former is tantamount to a room full of people and one person kicking and screaming and thrashing to such an extent that no one else every gets to talk.

So then we have the whole liberal safe space thing....

Here we go: what this lawsuit does it open up the precedent where anyone that blocks people who annoy / harrass them can be sued for free speech infringement.

Now lets apply this whole thing to the real world... If Obama was speaking at some place does everyone in the room get to scream and kick? Or do they get thrown out? At press conferences does every reporter get to jump onto the podium shoving their microphones shouting over each other at the speaker?

Unless Trump is getting people banned from Twitter (LIKE TWITTER DID AS A ROUTINE FOR OBAMA HILLARY ETC) then how can they sue Trump? If anything they should be suing Twitter for there even being a feature to block people (which everyone gets to enjoy).

This has got to be about the biggest embarrassment of a frivolous lawsuit as can be imagined, and people that support it are surely out of their minds.

originally posted by: seeker1963

Poor poor snowflakes!
Ya know what? I don't even have a twitter account but yet I can go on an look at who is posting what. I just can't troll them. That's what this is all about!

edit on 11-7-2017 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I sincerely hope that the judge who has this one land on his/her desk will hand them all a teddy bear and some PlayDoh and tell them to please go to the safe room.
Did no one tell them they can't force someone to listen to them? That's the beauty of the freedom of speech principle. You may say whatever you wish to say but you cannot force me to listen to you.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I understand the premise of the argument, I just don't think it has much merit. Twitter is a private company, it's not the government passing laws to prohibit free speech, which is what the 1st amendment is all about.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:48 PM
link   

The will keep the lawyers paid - that's about it.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

The will keep the lawyers paid - that's about it.

Ever notice? Win or lose, lawyers always get paid!

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Those he blocks on Twitter also have this right. As they have now proceeded to sue the President of the United States for infringing their right of free speech, please tell me, ATS, what you think, as Americans... how does this pertain to the right of free speech in America, for all Americans?

Lol. If that were true, then how can twitter have a block button for the President to use. Shouldn't it be Twitter that is sued? It is twitters block button after all. People have a right to say what they want, and to who they want to say it to. People do not have a right to listen to a conversation, or read what one has written. There is no basis for their case. It is just hatred for the President. Give then a bottle and put them back to bed.

posted on Jul, 11 2017 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I'm sorry but... this is one of the stupidest headlines i've read in a decade.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Freedom to use an application installed by a company for the reasons it was designed.
Freedom of Speech ? - not necessarily

Freedom of Insane Idiot Folks to bring a frivolous (and hopeless) lawsuit into court ? Yep . Thats it.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sapphire
I'm sorry but... this is one of the stupidest headlines i've read in a decade.

Yes, yes it is. Yet most of these people who believe in this nonsense will highly criticize others for not being educated!

edit on 12-7-2017 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:14 AM
link   

These people need to grow up and get on with their lives.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:28 AM
link   

They should sue Twitter for providing the 'free speech' killing functionality of blocking people that are trolling others. It isn't Trump's fault he used functionality provided by Twitter to put the poor butthurt snowflakes in timeout.

Blame Twitter for allowing people to stop others from harassing them.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   
FFS.......Push the button already.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
FFS.......Push the button already.

When the world has gone so mad that what you posted made me LOL? Yea, I think it's time..... Narcissism has hit a level I truly believe is irreversible and those who suffer from it the most, won't know what hit them when they have to reap what they have sown!

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:41 AM
link   
a reply to: seeker1963

Haha. You sound angry! Why is that?

Just a simple question. Why don't you answer it?

Trump blocks users on his account, and the users sue... what do you think about that, specifically.

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think that is a very interesting perspective... it's Twitter at fault for providing such a function, and it is they that should be sued... anybody else agree?

posted on Jul, 12 2017 @ 12:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: antoinemarionette
a reply to: seeker1963

Haha. You sound angry! Why is that?

Just a simple question. Why don't you answer it?

Trump blocks users on his account, and the users sue... what do you think about that, specifically.

I sound angry? Why does that bother you? So what if I am? What if I say you sound flustered and desperate? Does it matter?

Anyhow to answer your question, as other have already mentioned. If Twitter gives the option to block users and Trump uses that function to block those who are trolling him, then the lawsuit should be pointed at Jack Dorsey and not Trump!

Screw Twitter! I use GAB.AI They actually support free speech!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join