It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No July fourth threads, good wishes or acknowledgements?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Seems no one else has done it. So I will give it a try.

I immigrated to the U.S. in 1988 from Canada. I had the usual Canadian mentality that has that look down the nose smugly at the antics of the U.S.. (Truth be told this is based on a national inferiority complex for some reason is part of that Canadian persona.)

This day I would point out the almost mind-warping positives that the U.S. has directly or indirectly bequeathed the world. (I would ask those of you that don't see the U.S. in a positive light to refrain from commenting on the both obvious and well commented flaws that are inherent to the U.S..)

This day, Independence Day, marks perhaps the most significant change in the history of this world. Those that would rebut that can do so, but it cannot be argued that it's right up there with any that could be named.

For me, it took about seven years for my first epiphany-while driving, of course,- which was even the birth of Canada was predicated by the Revolution of 1776. If that event hadn't occurred or perhaps failed, what was the likelihood that the British Empire would have given up that 3.3 million square miles, now known as Canada, as an independent country?

Slim to none. My opinion and open to debate....

From that realization forward, my views changed, sometimes slowly, but that change continues to this day.

I live about 150 yards from the Canadian border, have friends and family in both nations and this isn't an attempt to lessen, marginalize Canada, whatsoever. It is the U.S.'s day, however.

Fast forward to the present and looking back over those achievements the U.S. can claim much responsibility for goes back to both world wars and have been well comment on and debated.

I would point out the predominately U.S. military presence in Europe, post WWII, has allowed, and perhaps forced, the various nations there to get along, without near continuous wars as bad or worse than the history of the ME, to the point where the French, Germans and Brits could actually spearhead the formation of a EU. Both the military and financial support were critical for the development of Europe and allow a completely devastated continent to recover and thrive.

The lone superpower permitted sufficient world-wide stability to allow nations around the world that had little economic power and personal opportunity to develop into thriving, prosperous and proud countries.

The list of those nations is long.

This is just a few examples of the tributes earned by the U.S. and to keep this OP shorter I leave other examples to the posters.

This world is STILL far better off due to the U.S. than not. I would acknowledge that fact and hope that that history continues far into the future.

Thank you, America.
edit on 4-7-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-7-2017 by nwtrucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Where we start is out of our hands.... where we end up is through sheer determination.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: nwtrucker

I feel the same as you but being an American by birth i had to weave in and out to get there. When youre young you dont know and then a little older you start hearing what anerica is in terms of richest country or best military.. you get rah rah america..

Then you hear more about education and bases in 166 countries blah blah. You go full conspiracy theorist mode..

And then you might think if the things youve said in your thread. I agree. USA changed the world. For better. Oh and ive always noticed the psychology of posters who have that inferiority thing going on..
Ive bever known how to address it without sounding like i meant they were actually inferior not just feeling that way.

And the flag was still there.
Its still here.

Oh, say can you see,
By the dawn's early light,
What so proudly we hailed,
At the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars,
Through the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched,
Were so gallantly streaming.
And the rocket's red glare,
The bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night,
That our flag was still there.
Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
For the land of the free, and the home of the brave.

Love you guys everywhere.

Im going to drink and watch "drunk history" a show from comedy central that tells american history through the story telling of very drunk americans portrayed through great acting.

Its so very American to make a show like that. I get teary eyed sometimes when i watch that show.. the passion some people have about history and then i understand the importance of what took place in this land.. I just.. im going to watch it through the INTERNET lol.

Aww I love my homeland.

Cheers mates

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have to tell you guys something and this is the honest truth.
I completely forgot about the 4th of july this year.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Im too busy heading out to public lands to get my murica on.....
Guns,bbq,beer and murica f*** yeah! Oh and fireworks.
edit on 4-7-2017 by MissCoyote because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:46 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

You better not be American, or you can giiiit out!

Should we upload our fireworks fun here too??

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: scraedtosleep

You better not be American, or you can giiiit out!

Should we upload our fireworks fun here too??

Actually, all you need to be is here LEGALLY.

Not too much to ask from what I can see.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
In honor of the Fourth of July, here's our president enjoying his favorite patriotic song:

He appears truly moved by it too.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Happy birthday America, from your little brother Canada. We are stuck for life - literally.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I was just chiding in humor that he forgot Independence day. He was just joking too im sure.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

I was just chiding in humor that he forgot Independence day. He was just joking too im sure.

Cool...

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:45 PM
link   

"Thank you, America."

Yea, o.k., who is "America"? If you wonder why no hoopla around the fact its the 4th of July, it may be because so many of us have come to realize we are being defined out of what it is to be an American. Our offspring will certainly come to that conclusion. And please, don't tell me you're an "American" unless you fit into one of the demographics the Government defines as a "protected" class. If you aren't, I'd just continue to identify as "Canadian"; at least you won't have a target painted onto your back.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: TonyS

"Thank you, America."

Yea, o.k., who is "America"? If you wonder why no hoopla around the fact its the 4th of July, it may be because so many of us have come to realize we are being defined out of what it is to be an American. Our offspring will certainly come to that conclusion. And please, don't tell me you're an "American" unless you fit into one of the demographics the Government defines as a "protected" class. If you aren't, I'd just continue to identify as "Canadian"; at least you won't have a target painted onto your back.

No disagreement, surprisingly, yet that is the price one pays...having a target on one's back..

All I can say in rebuttal is NO ONE defines you, except yourself. The idea and ideal of 'America' has been lessened and altered since day two.

It isn't dead, is it? In fact, it may be the start of a renaissance. A rebirth....

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Blessed to be On location working double time, union strong, union proud.... I just saw a PA put a six of dos XXs in the cooler.

God bless the entrepreneurial spirit, technology, and doin business the American way!!

edit on 4-7-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Blessed to be On location working double time, union strong, union proud.... I just saw a PA put a six of dos XXs in the cooler.

Yeah? Then get back to work!!!

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Happy 4th!

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

originally posted by: olaru12

Yeah? Then get back to work!!!

Lucky this time to be in a air conditioned trailer, out on BLM desert, editing EPK and stills for the production house in LA. Multi tasking....but still below the line!!
edit on 4-7-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Happy Independence Day to our American neighbors. Enjoy and stay safe!

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Happy 4th!

Right back at you, Bro.

posted on Jul, 4 2017 @ 01:11 PM
link   

"It isn't dead, is it? In fact, it may be the start of a renaissance. A rebirth.... "

I honestly don't know if its dead or not. But the current state of affairs feels less like a renaissance than it does a long, slow, decline into oblivion. It is being forgotten. Its being written out of its own history books. I don't have any skin in this game; I am an Expat, born in US, raised overseas. But its definitely weird to live in a country like the US; there's a weird, almost alien feel to it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join