It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hard work does not pay off.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I think this is what has more people frustrated, angry, sad, feeling short changed and beaten down. Hard work simply does not pay off like we were always taught it did.

The hardest workers are rarely ever management or higher paid positions - almost all places I've been, from Walmart, to small businesses, the owners understand the least about their operations, and their workforce carries them.

"its who you know, not what you know" certainly seems to apply as well. Whether it's smaller franchises and businesses that simply give management positions to their kin, regardless of ability ( look up business failure rates, typically third and fourth generations run things into the ground)

This along with "you have to have money to make money" leaves those of us without rich relatives at a huge disadvantage
(relatively) - those born into wealth are many times more likely to continue being wealthy, and those born outside of it, much less likely.

Now there are exceptions to the rule, and of course a person can own their own business, work for themselves, and find a market they can succeed in - but this does not describe what everyone can do. Supply and demand dictates that only so many people can offer a certain service and succeed in an area. People like to argue that we could all just work for ourselves, but it's not realistic. There's only so many services not being filled in, in any particular area..

Anyways. Just a little bit frustrated, I guess. I'm definitely working to fight the odds.. But it's a tough uphill battle.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:30 PM
link   
You might be right.

But, if the only other option is to just give up... well, I say eff that.

Good luck, I hope you catch a break.
Most people do eventually if they are making sensible decisions.

If your lucky, you'll find something you enjoy doing, and you will have what you need, and not
Be burdened with being rich.

a reply to: deadlyhope

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:31 PM
link   
A couple of questions,
Do you own your own business ?
And how old are you ?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

I don't.

I am 27.

Working on things... Extremely short on capital. Supposedly you need 20 percent of your start up costs... If that's even a few thousand, will take years to get that much.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SteamyJeans

I certainly don't want to be rich.

Being able to afford food, shelter, and health care is my first goal..

As of now, food stamps and child medicaid are helping me.

But even those ways of surviving are supposedly being threatened by upcoming legislation..

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:36 PM
link   
It very hard to get started.
Do you have a skilled trade such as carpenter , plumber etc. ?

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

I don't.

Been looking into more things, electrician is somewhat appealing to me.

Have to move to make that happen, likely to a higher populated place, that has rent that's several times what I pay around here... Which is another struggle.

(I live in a town of 120, it only exists because of tourism. I've looked into running my own cabins or what not, but it's hundreds of thousands for even a small operation.)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Hard work is usually a prerequisite for the payoff. It's certainly not a guarantee.

I earn my payoffs though. Nothing is ever handed to me.

Work hard, son. Keep on workin'

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   
What I was going to suggest was SBA loan.
But what you will need is a solid business model to convince them.
If you have something to show them it would be worth the drive to the nearest office.
That would include rental cabins or some type of single owner tourist business.
edit on 30-6-2017 by flatbush71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:44 PM
link   

And as automation continues to take over, it will get worse and worse.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Hard work simply does not pay off like we were always taught it did

The saying work smarter not harder has always been more true especially in our times.
With technology improving at this pace future humans will only work hard when they want to not when they have to.
To much of anyone thing can be harmful. To much hard work has it's downside as will to much comfort.
But this is progress. Freeing humans from toil was always the main point of technology.
Creating technology is natural for us, and that means we are destined to be free of hard physical labor.
But don't forget work done with the mind is also a form of hard work. So maybe hard work will
never end it will just change it's form.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I've found hard work doesn't pay. I own my own business and work 80hours a week. My friends with nice government or union jobs work set hours , medical, paid vacation, ect. Most do everything they can to get over and put in as little as possible into work. Seems no matter what they do they can't get fired. Do drugs on the job? Off to rehab, paid of course. Stealing? It's ok, the supervisor does it also.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

It seems like the most jobs are opening up in that specific field.. Technology.

It's not as if every single person has their technological calling.. . Yet even mechanics are being required more and more to interact with newer vehicles, sometimes having many, many computers running things - the future doesn't seem to want wrench turners and honest hard workers, it seems to need techies.

It's not a future I like. I'm willing to work sixty, seventy hours a week.
I'm willing to work in unfavorable conditions..

Yet what I describe is less and less what is avaliable. Average Joe can't just become a cow farmer these days and make a living well enough.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

Yeah I hear ya.

I have a clean conscience though. I couldn't do it any other way. It's a curse.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: WUNK22

I'm trying to get a government job honestly.

Extremely high pay for menial tasks.. It won't be fulfilling.. But it will pay the bills.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 10:57 PM
link   
One of the problems is that in alot of industries, the best workers dont make good managers.

Think sports.. just because your a good player doesnt mean you would make a good coach.

Sometimes the tasks and skill-sets between a manager or a higher up, are so vastly different from people who work below, there is no translating.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucidparadox

It still proves my point - nearly every task can get done without the manager. In fact, the small businesses I have worked at, the managers can leave for a few days to a week and it's not noticed.. Not even a little.

Sure, they'll have some boring paperwork to catch up on, but that's about it.

They definitely are not worth anything more than the average employee, and I actually believe a lot of employees could take on specific tasks they'd be good at and get rid of middle management altogether.

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:02 PM
link   

If you live in a tourist area...with second homes. Offer a maintenance service.

fixin, cleaning, yardwork etc.

edit on 30-6-2017 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: flatbush71
A couple of questions,
Do you own your own business ?
And how old are you ?

There's true insight above these words.

If you don't understand, you don't deserve to be rich (unless you hit the Lottery).

posted on Jun, 30 2017 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Started out with nothing . Today own and run very successful company with branches in taiwan , china , hong kong , japan and main office in singapore . Getting ready to open branch in vietnam now . It wasnt easy took (and takes) alot of hard work . So yes hard work does pay off . All without rich relatives and without a degree from uni .

Had a few times along way where got set back to where started . Got up dusted off and started over again .

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join