It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dutch Ban Own Flag in Schools to Appease Muslim Immigrants

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:30 AM
link   

In the Netherlands the national flag is now banned on most schools. If a student wears the national flag of his own country he will be suspended or expelled from school. The reason for this is that this provokes the immigrants (the muslims) and therefore it is considered discrimination if you wear your country's flag in your own country. Even people who have an bumpersticker whit the flag on their car are harassed and called a facist by the Muslims. Most schools also ban certain clothing like the Lonsdale brand and combat boots with white or red laces. This is also concidered a sign of racism.
There are of course no restrictions for the immigrants on clothing.

Original Source (Nederlands): De Telegraaf

I know there's a lot of Dutch people who visit this site -- is this really true?

I think it's really sick if it is. Having to surpress your own sense of patriotism and nationalism to appease some foreign immigrants who think that's racist? Come on! I can see why there seems to be a big backlash now in Holland against immigrants.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:35 AM
link   
If it is true, then thats is disturbing.

Let them try that one here in the UK, you'll see what a backlash is then!

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
If it is true, then thats is disturbing.

I agree, that is just sad.
Why do countries breakdown like that? How can the needs of the few prevail over the needs of an entire country.

[edit on 6-2-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Here's a Dutch site on the incident:

dutchreport.blogspot.com...
Cals College in IJsselstein has prohibited two of it's students to have Dutch flags on their bags.

The 16 year old boy and his friend where told by the director of their school that they "urgently should consider" to remove the Dutch flags from their bags, it could provoke other students, mainly Moroccan students. The two considered the urgent request of the school as a prohibition......

......In a radio interview, one of the boys was asked if he was a racist. He denied and told the reporter that his mother was black. When he was asked about the incident that lead to the prohibition he explained that he had some verbal exchange with a Moroccan boy during competition swimming. As a result a group Moroccan then threatened him on school. At that moment the boy went to the school director.

It seems like this may have happened as a result of an altercation between one of the boys and a Moroccan.

I do agree this is stupid to ban people from wearing flags.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 06:09 AM
link   
And I always pictured the Netherlands as being such a free country.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Well if the Dutch are going to outlaw their own flag, maybe they can start wearing a flag from a foreign country. Or are all flags by natives considered illegal in Dutch schools now? It's a ludicrous law. Of course I don't understand how wearing your country's own flag can be considered to be racial. Maybe the Dutch should start wearing American flags, we already have muslims living here peacefully in our country.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 06:15 AM
link   
This is ridiculous. Anyone who tries to supress your right to wear your own flag that your forefathers paid for with their blood doesnt deserve to live in your country. If they don't like it they can go back to Morocco and what other third rate nation they come from.

thanks,
drfunk

[edit on 6-2-2005 by drfunk]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I'm off to put a 'Union Jack' flag on my school bag.......let them try and stop me

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Liberalism prevails...

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:08 AM
link   
This is stupid. As a dutch muslim i do not see how it is supposed to offend us.

I think its just a fake action to make the muslims semi content as there are loads of laws made which arent exactly muslim friendly.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Liberalism prevails...

What has "liberalism" got anything to do with it?

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think we need to consider this in the broader context of what is going on. Sometimes stupid things happen in a vacuum, but sometimes stupid things are designed to prepare us for greater future stupidity.

Phase 1, profiteering
Step 1: Don't enforce an official language.
Step 2: Don't enforce your immigration laws.
Step 3: Export jobs while importing and subsidizing consumers through immigration and social programs.

Phase 2, globalism
Step 4: Make it a hate crime to oppose immigration or speak about cultural differences in other than a positive way.
Step 5: Ban symbols of national identity.
Step 6: Give up your national identity, see yourselves as citizens of the world.
Step 7: Give up your sovreignity. See yourselves as subjects of the world government to which you have made yourself a citizen.
Step 8: The powers that be can now take from the poor and give to the rich without crafty schemes and such. They can just decide where the global government allocates resources and where it lets people starve.

The same thing is happening to America with Mexico.
You open up free trade with a poor nation and outsource your production. Even as you export jobs you allow a great deal of immigration, and you let social programs shell out cash for these people.
The result is that the rich get much richer from cheap foreign production and an inflated domestic market full of government-subsidized immigrant consumers.

The powers that be just want their money, and the money comes from bringing in immigrants and re-distributing wealth to them from the rest of the population. That's why they'll sell out everything about you. They'll subvert your culture and identity and interests, they'll redistribute what's yours, and if needbe they'll cut back on your rights to make your country more attractive for immigrants.

I suggest that the people of the Netherlands treat this as an attack on their sovreignity and democracy, because it is both. This is the tactic of international corporatism. (Corporatism is a synonym for fascism which I use because it sounds more realistic. Benito Mussolini coined the term.)

EDIT: counting isn't one of my strong suits. I had to re-number the steps.

[edit on 6-2-2005 by The Vagabond]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Liberalism prevails...

What has "liberalism" got anything to do with it?

Everything. Do you honestly believe that this would happen iin a conservative - or even a moderate nation? OF COURSE NOT!

This is one of the most liberal nations in the world, and these are the sort of thins that happen in extremely liberal governments.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:55 AM
link   
The US seems to be on this road, too. Some schools are banning the American flag because some students find it offensive and it makes a political statement. It's really wild, in my mind. People living in this country find the country offensive. Crazy, crazy, crazy! I'll find a few articles about this on tonguetied.us and post 'em.

EDIT(s):

Just found this:

The New York Times says the threat to artists in Holland from Muslim extremists is the worst that country has endured since the Nazi occupation during World War II.

The country’s main film festival in Rotterdam had to cancel a showing of a Theo Van Gogh’s documentary denouncing violence against Muslim women following threats from irate Muslims.

And in Amsterdam, a Moroccan-Dutch painter was forced into hiding after a show of his work featuring works critical of “hate imams” prompted death threats

Here's another outta SanFran where cops aren't allowed to wear flags because people may find it offensive:

tonguetied.us...

[edit on 2-6-2005 by junglejake]

[edit on 2-6-2005 by junglejake]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   

You have voted The Vagabond for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have two more votes this month.

You are spot on Vagabond.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by junglejake
The US seems to be on this road, too. Some schools are banning the American flag because some students find it offensive and it makes a political statement. It's really wild, in my mind. People living in this country find the country offensive. Crazy, crazy, crazy! I'll find a few articles about this on tonguetied.us and post 'em.

We agree on something! I think this is absolutely crazy.....as crazy as everything having to be Spanish here...as I have stated before. I know of no other country where you can move and not be expected to learn the language! Now I have to get to work

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
An artist created this sign near a Mosque following the murder of Theo Van Gogh:

It says "Thou shalt not kill"

The statement was considered anti-Muslim and racist so was destroyed by the Dutch police.

[edit on 2/6/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Heh, that's a bold statement by the cops, dj. They're saying murder is muslim. I have to make some eggs, I'm hungry, but check out those two articles I added to my first post. Very scary stuff!

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Liberalism prevails...

Talk about hypocracy.
You vote Vagabond for above for saying our nation is headed the same direction that the Dutch did. Did you stop to consider that Conservativs are running America? So So if America IS headed that way, it is because of the conservatives ruling this country.

posted on Feb, 6 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Everything. Do you honestly believe that this would happen iin a conservative - or even a moderate nation? OF COURSE NOT!

This is one of the most liberal nations in the world, and these are the sort of thins that happen in extremely liberal governments.

A bit of a generalisation there. I agree that is more than likely that the far-left, busy body, PC crowd had something to do with this, but do you honestly believe that "Liberalism" is the cause for this?

But then, can you not be "liberal" and not be proud of your country at the same time? I personally do not think that the lefty PC lot, can be classed as liberals, as all they seem to do is inhibit personal freedoms and choices, and try and make everyone adhere to their point of view. To me, this isn't being liberal.

The word liberal to me implies that you have greater personal freedom, and has very little to do with how you view immigrants/drugs/environment etc.

Being a "Liberal" should be about letting people have their views, but being able to have your own, and agree to disagree about things.

Those that are forcing others to do things such as this flag issue are most definately not "Liberals".

I would consider myself fairly liberal, but at the same time, I am certainly not a left-winger, PC nob-jockey.

What is happening here, as usual when the busy-bodies get on their high horse about something, is a minority exerting what amounts to emotional and political blackmail, attempting to make the majority feel guilty about the perceived injustices in the world, and how it is their fault that the're are wrongs in the world.

If you dare stand up to the PC lot, they will use label's and hate campaigns against you, rather than engaging in productive debate, to make your point seem less valid.

For example, if anyone speaks out against immigration here in the UK, there will be someone who will label you as a racist/facist/nazi type, even if you are honestly trying to engage in a debate about a social issue that needs addressing.

<<   2 >>

join