It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korean Pres. considers downsizing SK-US military exercises in exchange for denuclearization

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Moon Chung-in, special adviser for unification, foreign and security affairs, told an audience at the Wilson Center in Washington D.C. on Friday that the President had suggested that South Korea might consider scaling down joint military exercises in exchange for North Korea’s suspension of its nuclear and missile tests.

Source: www.nknews.org...

So folks should the US downsize their military exercise with South Korea? I have mixed feelings with this. In one hand, part of the reason why North Korea wanted nuclear weapons was due fears of being overthrown by the US after seeing what happened to Qaddafi and Saddam Hussein.

In the other hand, Kim Jong Un is a crazy leader that needs to be kept in check.
edit on 6/19/2017 by starwarsisreal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Nobody tell the Neocon's. They think it's up to them if the Korean Peninsula is completely devastated to the tune of tens of millions annihilated, not the Korean perople.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I really see third gen dictator UNO continuing the family tradition of slight of hand...he will agree to a deal, when the other side delivers, he will continue to play around with the atom. All three of them do or did the same thing. It's kicking the can farther hopefully awaiting a change, but the little guy will play it out to the last card. Nothing will change but the calendar...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
The SK appeaser in chief must grind the gears.

Thing is that it should be simple to take care of the SK appeaser in chief and frame NK. Maybe something non traceable like a biologic or a chemical weapon. The SK people would scream bloody murder and the Neocons would have the restart of the Korean war as well as an excuse to take out fat boy.

Under a reunited Korea they could then set up bases on the border of China and Russia.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Thinking about it from a South Korean perspective, I would rather not be struck by a nuclear bomb.
No matter what the US and SK does, the nuclear/atomic threat is still great to SK. The US cannot have attack NK without the risk of SK being nuked.
As someone living in the US, I say the US continue their military presence. But once you look at the SK perspective, you would rather things cool down because the threat is very real.

I personally doubt that NK would denuclearize itself. It's a tricky situation.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: teslahowitzer

Kicking the can further down the road means less of a chance that the chubby midget will get a hair up his hoohoo and launch at Japan or South Korea.

It also means there's a chance that someone in NoKo will grow a set and remove the chubby midget, and perhaps, just perhaps, begin to pave the way for reunification--I think nearly 3/4's of a century is long enough for the Korea's to be separated.

It's Korea's decision, no one else's. The 'hawks, and the doves, can stay the hell out of it, unless you're Korean. But they won't.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: seagull

the chubby midget

That's Fat Man The Little Boy to you sir!

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull I think you right, the more the can travels, the more chances he will have. My guess is he waits on a disaster of upper scale, and when all attention is elsewhere, takes a shot at the west coast. Our modern patriot and missle defense systems have an 85% chance of intercepting it according to my nuke sub buddy. If he fires 2 the percentage drops slightly. Shorty is just delusional, same as Rodman...he no think with factual reasoning...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:37 PM
link   

It's Korea's decision, no one else's. The 'hawks, and the doves, can stay the hell out of it, unless you're Korean. But they won't.

As someone who is sitting well inside the expert's median missile range as a potential target for Nork's Nukes, I wholeheartedly disagree. I think it is time the US made the decision for Seoul and took the only sure fire bet... eliminate the Kim Jong genetics from Earth and open the door for North Korea to enter the civilized world.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Chances to do what?

Launch a nuke? Why, when that would surely seal his fate. China, the US, South Korea, Japan, Russia, and a few others would come down upon him, and his hermit kingdom like the wrath of ten thousand gods.

He is not delusional. If he actually believed the press clippings his ministry puts out, the NoKo army would have rolled across the borders years ago...

No, he's playing a game of brinksmanship, and playing it rather well. The best strategy is to keep placating him, and keep exposing his people to as much of the outside world as we can get away with, and eventually, it'll change. It has to.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Yeah because he and his entire command just cant wait to MAYBE get one nuke thru to the US then ensure that no matter what they're literally wiped of the surface of the planet.

That just totally makes sense.

He wants to die so bad who knows maybe he'll just hang himself?

Or maybe he likes to get a thrill when dabbling with dying, so maybe in all of his daily thrill seeking he might have his parachute not go off, or maybe he'll break his neck while base jumping. There's always his drag racer might wreck and turn him to hamburger.

He's s thrill seeker, right? If he were then that'd maybe begin to suggest he gets off on staring death in the face. While the typical blood fued you stole my honor smack talk that goes on with the Korean's, anyone can get off on talking shia'ite without actually being suicidal.

So maybe the US stops poking NK in the eye everyday, stop fanning the flame wars, and maybe let the Far East Asian's sort out their own Jerry Springer drama without US.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

As someone who is sitting well inside the expert's median missile range as a potential target for Nork's Nukes, I wholeheartedly disagree. I think it is time the US made the decision for Seoul and took the only sure fire bet... eliminate the Kim Jong genetics from Earth and open the door for North Korea to enter the civilized world.

You're that out of your mind paranoid that you'd risk triggering the very nuclear retaliation war you wish to not experience?

(at best only ten million Korean's will die in a bloody round war, global economy sent into total chaos, just so you can maybe get rid of the monster under the bed)

KILL YOUR TV.
Yo.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Chances to do what?

Launch a nuke? Why, when that would surely seal his fate. China, the US, South Korea, Japan, Russia, and a few others would come down upon him, and his hermit kingdom like the wrath of ten thousand gods.

He is not delusional. If he actually believed the press clippings his ministry puts out, the NoKo army would have rolled across the borders years ago...

No, he's playing a game of brinksmanship, and playing it rather well. The best strategy is to keep placating him, and keep exposing his people to as much of the outside world as we can get away with, and eventually, it'll change. It has to.

At the cost of how many Korean lives though? The North Koreans will fight back if we invade. With a few nukes they could kill 50% of the SK population, and ruin the nations entire economy and infrastructure. 50% of the Korean penninsula is 40 million people. That's a lot of bodies for an invasion.

At the same time though, one has to consider that if South Korea begins to look weak enough, NK will invade regardless.

I would look to some other form of appeasement, and seek to maintain as close to a stalemate at the border as we can.

Given 10 more years of stalemates, ICBM's probably won't be a threat any longer, then we're back to just looking at the border without nukes involved.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Bramble Iceshimmer

There are rumors that the current South Korean President wants to hand South Korea to Fat Boy on a sliver platter.....

Also the South Korean Regressive Leftists have some sort of weird crush with Fat Boy. Not sure why, but maybe it's because like them, Fat Boy hates freedoms.....

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: starwarsisreal

Does it surprise you that the left wants to join with the commies? It doesn't surprise me.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: D8Tee

Well I am well aware that Regressive Leftists want to join the Commies. However my point is, it is scary that there are South Korean SJWs that want to bend over and kiss the feet of Fat Boy and surrender an entire prosperous nation to a country that cannot feed its own citizens.

In fact if Fat Boy takes over SK, he would line them up and have them get shot.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Or maybe, just maybe, just guessing here, that they don't want a war??? No, that can't possibly be it, can it?

Do you honestly think that any reunification would leave the chubby midget in power? Uh, no. Which is why, of course, he's against any such thing that doesn't include a triumphant march by his army into Seoul. I don't know of any South Korean politician of any note, or influence, who would want the chubby midget involved in any possible peaceful reunification. You don't think the South Koreans don't know a little something about what he is?? Please.

As for handing over South Korea to the North on a silver platter? I think the South Korean Army might have a little somethin' somethin' to say about that. They've had their say on a number of occasions before, and would again.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

At the cost of how many Korean lives though? The North Koreans will fight back if we invade. With a few nukes they could kill 50% of the SK population, and ruin the nations entire economy and infrastructure. 50% of the Korean penninsula is 40 million people. That's a lot of bodies for an invasion.

Invasion? Are you kidding? That way lies madness, and, dare I say, quagmire?

A few nukes would kill a lot of people, and is to be avoided if at all possible. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were enough, thanks. I feel no screaming need to see Tokyo or Seoul or Anchorage added to that list.

The death toll would be the stuff of nightmare. Even a Nagasaki size nuke in Tokyo would possibly kill millions.

Nope, I'd just as soon the status quo be maintained. The chubby midget isn't going to be around forever, and as far as I know, he doesn't have a declared heir. Not that I've heard of anyway... Unfortunately, he's not very old, so North Korea, unless something dramatic happens is going to suffer for his existence. Now, if a revolution should begin? No reason not to covertly, or even overtly, if the situation calls for it, help out.

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

I'm not saying that Fat Boy will take over. My point is its disturbing that there are some people that are seriously thinking of having Kim Jong Un rule over the South despite evidence showing that Fat Boy starved his people.

I do agree that a military coup will be highly necessary should Regressive Leftists decided to handover the nation to Fat Boy.

As for Fat Boy wanting to takeover South Korea I'll show you this:

Over the years, the soft-liners’ explanations for why Pyongyang sacrificed billions of dollars and millions of lives to build a nuclear program have shifted. First, they said it just wanted the electricity. Then, they said it wanted a bargaining chip to trade away for better relations with us. Now, they say it just wants to protect itself from us. Unlike them, Brian Myers has listened to what Pyongyang has been telling its own subjects — it wants reunification, on its own terms.

North Korea needs the capability to strike the U.S. with nuclear weapons in order to pressure both adversaries into signing peace treaties. This is the only grand bargain it has ever wanted. It has already made clear that a treaty with the South would require ending its ban on pro-North political agitation. The treaty with Washington would require the withdrawal of U.S. troops from the peninsula. The next step, as Pyongyang has often explained, would be some form of the North–South confederation it has advocated since 1960. One would have to be very naïve not to know what would happen next. As Kim Il-Sung told his Bulgarian counterpart Todor Zhivkov in 1973, “If they listen to us, and a confederation is established, South Korea will be done with.”

Western soft-liners keep saying the U.S. must finally negotiate a peace treaty with Pyongyang. That’s where their op-eds conveniently end. These people show no awareness of what such a treaty would have to entail. Are they in favor of withdrawing U.S. troops? If so they should come right out and say so, instead of pretending North Korea will content itself with the security guarantees it has rejected for decades. Many observers believe that the stronger the North Koreans get, the more reasonable they will become. Whenever I think I’ve seen the height of American wishful thinking, I find out it can get even sillier.

freekorea.us...

posted on Jun, 19 2017 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Likely, yes. I'll debate the necessity of a military coup all day long.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join