It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mandela Effect explained...or not? Share your personal stories.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: pfishy
a reply to: violet

I've considered that over the years, but I have too many distinct memories of news and science programs, as well as teachers, specifically stating that they were extinct. The last one passed away from natural causes in a zoo in Hong Kong. A male.
It was an extinction, without a doubt in my mind.

From a psychological perspective that makes sense and is actually to be expected.

If you for some reason were told that the Giant Panda was extinct by someone that was simply wrong - say by a teacher - it makes perfect psychological sense that you realign supporting memories to, well, support, that which you perceive as a fact.

I am not claiming that that is what has happened, but there is plenty of evidence that that does happen.

posted on Jun, 18 2017 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: DupontDeux

It certainly does. But I heard it from teachers, television shows, and I actually had my old journal reflecting my confusion the day I found out they were still alive. Someone pointed out earlier that I was likely confusing the extinction of the wild population in 06 for these memories of mine. But my journal entry was from March, 1995 when I heard they had both a captive population and a small lingering wild population.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: violet
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes
I watched the first video. It was about suggestions altering a memory.

I have one Mandela ( hate that term btw) that does not involve a suggestion. I'm sure others do as well.

Aside from that I agree memories can be faulty and open to suggestions. I accept I just expected the bears to be spelt stein since it seems the more usual spelling.

I don't like the term, myself. No idea where it even came from, or why it's so overused. Suggestion can, indeed, alter memory, but neither case of mine had any suggestion, and I have no idea how they happened. Care to share details of your own?

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:06 AM
link   

I enjoyed reading your examples, especially about the book scene.

Thanks! That one really bothers me!! That the book disappeared is beyond strange, too.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: MissCoyote
I absolutely agree with you on the faulty memories my daughter has been overwhelmingly interested in this topic. I haven't paid much attention to it. its just like that looney tunes thing or toons whatever it is too me its always been looney tunes.

That one, I have to agree! I always remembered "looney toons" myself, but supposedly, that's not right!!

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Worried that this thread will get closed by the mods, but here's my story.
The Giant Panda went extinct in, if my memory serves, 1987. Destruction of their natural habitat due to the Chinese government needing resources therein, combined with the difficulty in captive breeding, ended the species that Fall. My 5th or 6th grade science teacher even devoted all of the next day's classes to it, conservation efforts globally, and the need to protect endangered species.
It was also the top story on 60 Minutes, Frontline, etc.
But guess what! Nope. They are still extant, apparently. Which surprised the heck out of me about 7 years later when the news talked about a giant panda live birth at some famous zoo.
Only 1 other person I've ever encountered recalls this event, too.

Not something I recall, at all. Maybe a case of a teacher wanting people to believe it, and pushing the narrative?

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: dragonridr

Worried that this thread will get closed by the mods, but here's my story.
The Giant Panda went extinct in, if my memory serves, 1987. Destruction of their natural habitat due to the Chinese government needing resources therein, combined with the difficulty in captive breeding, ended the species that Fall. My 5th or 6th grade science teacher even devoted all of the next day's classes to it, conservation efforts globally, and the need to protect endangered species.
It was also the top story on 60 Minutes, Frontline, etc.
But guess what! Nope. They are still extant, apparently. Which surprised the heck out of me about 7 years later when the news talked about a giant panda live birth at some famous zoo.
Only 1 other person I've ever encountered recalls this event, too.

All wild pandas went extinct in 2003 they started reintroducing captive bread pandas back in to the wild. But your right they did go extinct and there was fear they couldn't get the captive pandas to breed. As of that point breeding was not easy and there were very few live births. However they turned it around by changing the captive breeding

Ah, nice catch! So, no wild ones at that time??

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 12:36 AM
link   

What do yours involve?

My main one is the clallenger disaster which I see is now in 1986. No way for me! It was in or before 1984. I know where I lived and I'm watching it on a 14 inch TV . In 1986 I had a big screen TV, different house. Other memories are attached to it, I was stunned to see it was 1986.

I recall that one well! My oldest was small, and I remember walking in where we lived, and seeing the replay. I hadn't heard yet what had happened!!

Definitely 1986.
edit on 20-6-2017 by LadyGreenEyes because: detail

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

What do yours involve?

My main one is the clallenger disaster which I see is now in 1986. No way for me! It was in or before 1984. I know where I lived and I'm watching it on a 14 inch TV . In 1986 I had a big screen TV, different house. Other memories are attached to it, I was stunned to see it was 1986.

I recall that one well! My oldest was small, and I remember walking in where we lived, and seeing the replay. I hadn't heard yet what had happened!!

Definitely 1986.

I was watching it live, following the story of the teacher beforehand. I don't even have the seasons right. It's now January 1986 and my memory is I'm living in an apartment with my husband working away for the usual spring or summer months. In the winter he's home and hogging the TV for sports. I don't know how I'd ever have had the time to watch the news stories on the teacher leading up to it. In January he's in full NHL, NFL mode. I was never allowed to watch my shows!

I then recall him coming home for a weekend visit and he had all these NASA jokes that were going around. He's standing right in the doorway of the kitchen telling me one and I say that's really sick. Its the kitchen in the apartment I lived in around 1984. By 1986 we were in a house with the big TV. My eldest was a toddler in a diaper, and I thought it was cool to say let's watch a space rocket lift off. The smoke splits two ways and I say I don't think it's supposed to look like that. I felt so disappointed I had made him watch that and for years I would tell him how I made him watch a rocket that blew up on that little TV we had when he was so young. I'd also keep remembering that sick joke hubby told me, standing in that doorway. None of it makes any sense to me. To think I had all these faulty memories attached to one event.

I also think by 1986 we had CNN and my memory we don't have that. I only had the local Seattle TV stations to watch news on. I think I watched the event on the local station I'd been following the teacher story on. Truly bizarre ( in my mind, that is).
edit on 20-6-2017 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 05:07 PM
link   

To me, something a million people remember the same (though incorrect for this reality) is more verifiable than a personal story.

It sounds like your saying it's the other way around? Just asking.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 05:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

What do yours involve?

Definitely 1986.

I was watching it live, following the story of the teacher beforehand. I don't even have the seasons right. It's now January 1986 and my memory is I'm living in an apartment with my husband working away for the usual spring or summer months. In the winter he's home and hogging the TV for sports. I don't know how I'd ever have had the time to watch the news stories on the teacher leading up to it. In January he's in full NHL, NFL mode. I was never allowed to watch my shows!

I then recall him coming home for a weekend visit and he had all these NASA jokes that were going around. He's standing right in the doorway of the kitchen telling me one and I say that's really sick. Its the kitchen in the apartment I lived in around 1984. By 1986 we were in a house with the big TV. My eldest was a toddler in a diaper, and I thought it was cool to say let's watch a space rocket lift off. The smoke splits two ways and I say I don't think it's supposed to look like that. I felt so disappointed I had made him watch that and for years I would tell him how I made him watch a rocket that blew up on that little TV we had when he was so young. I'd also keep remembering that sick joke hubby told me, standing in that doorway. None of it makes any sense to me. To think I had all these faulty memories attached to one event.

I also think by 1986 we had CNN and my memory we don't have that. I only had the local Seattle TV stations to watch news on. I think I watched the event on the local station I'd been following the teacher story on. Truly bizarre ( in my mind, that is).

The really odd thing about your memories here is that this was such a huge event, it's the sort of thing people tend to remember more clearly. I do. I was out at the store, and I believe my daughter (only one at the time) might have been with parents, though I am NOT sure there. Speaking of faulty memory, lol!! I do recall, though, that I'd been shopping, and hadn't had the radio on, so I had no idea the shuttle had exploded. I came into our apartment, turned on the TV to watch a replay, and was watching that. They didn't have a headline banner up, stating what had happened, so I had no warning, and was stunned when it exploded. Utterly floored. Yet I can't recall where my daughter was. Had to have been with my mother, r perhaps I carried her in. I honestly can't remember that AT ALL.

I know I have mixed up memories before, though, sure that I'd watched a movie with, say, my oldest, but had actually watched with the hubby, who was surprised I didn't remember him seeing it. Little stuff like that.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Pearj

To me, something a million people remember the same (though incorrect for this reality) is more verifiable than a personal story.

It sounds like your saying it's the other way around? Just asking.

The number of people who have a false memory doesn't change it being false, if that's the case.

posted on Jun, 20 2017 @ 08:19 PM
link   
This memory was very clear to me until I stumbled upon this alternate date. I Instantly knew the house I was living in 1986 just wasn't matching up to my memories. Oh well I'm obviously wrong.

I too have things I thought I did with family members I've been wrong about, or maybe they were.

My stepmother used to say you remember things how they got told to you. Perhaps she's right, although it's not explaining my example. It was never discussed much after that. Every now and then it came up on another launch but never with a date. Or it did and I wasn't paying attention.

I just have to accept I'm wrong!

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
The JFK assassination was the biggest for me, then Dolly's braces, then Laurel & Hardy.

I remember about 10 years ago there was a resurgence in the theory of the driver being the suspect, I studied the footage 100's of times while doing the research on it and it was a credible theory in the 4 car version.
Now that theory is ridiculous because he would have to shoot through the Governor and his wife and they would clearly have known it was him.
Also the way Jackie reacts is completely different and the footage is far more graphic. In the 4 car version as soon as the 1st shot hit, she freaked out and was scrambling over the back of the car, now she holds him close and there is now a suggestion that she took the final shot. She was NEVER a suspect in the 4 car, B&W version.

I was a skeptic of the M.E and the vast majority are false memories but there is something to this phenomenon. The problem is the false claims only hinder true discussion on the subject.

posted on Jun, 22 2017 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Now that theory is ridiculous because he would have to shoot through the Governor and his wife and they would clearly have known it was him.

What you're saying here is strong evidence of the human memory playing tricks, not evidence of the Mandela Effect.

Have another look at the Zapruder film, and you'll see that Gov and Mrs Connally are both lying down on the seats at the moment the driver is supposed to have fired the shot (I mean, that's rubbish, he didn't fire a gun at all, but anyways).

The interesting thing about what you're saying is that, despite the fact that there were always six people in that car, your brain has retrospectively edited two of them out, then put them back in again. Meanwhile, your brain has decided that since the theory only worked with four people it doesn't work now there's six. BUT... you're wrong, it still works with six.

There were always six people in that car, even when Bill Cooper started promoting the 'driver did it' nonsense a decade or two back.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 03:09 AM
link   

I've only come across one other person that recalls as I do. And I could believe that it was one single teacher pushing the idea, and making a fictional e sample of the Giant Panda to impact us children. Except it was more than one teacher who discussed it, and I saw it on nightly news programs at home for a few days that week, also.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 05:12 AM
link   

There's a few theories going around.

- Mandela effect is really happening because of the lhc.
-We're all losing our minds and don't know it yet.
-Time has already ceased to exist, and we don't know it yet.
- Time lords have taken over, and we don't know it yet.
- We're trapped in a time loop skip, and we don't know it yet.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 05:51 AM
link   
a reply to: MidnightGoddess

I can't dispute the possibility any of those except the LHC angle. And that's because the LHC came online after many people discovered he was still alive after having known otherwise. That, and Cosmic Rays strike the atmosphere and collide alpha particles with air molecules, on a regular basis, at energies that the LHC can't even begin to reach.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 05:54 AM
link   
a reply to: pfishy

Have you ever wondered though, how a bird carrying a piece of bread in its mouth managed to get underground, causing the lhc to stop working a couple of years ago? I've always wondered what the hell a bird was doing near that thing underground to begin with.

posted on Jun, 25 2017 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: MidnightGoddess

I never heard of the bird incident. I'll have to look that up. But, no. I have no idea how it would have gotten into the beam tunnel or detector chambers. Those are supposed to be hermetically sealed. Even air molecules in the tubes where the beam lines travel is considered a potentially damaging contaminant.

Though, they originally used a trained ferret with a dust rag or something similar to run through the larger pipes to clean them.

EDIT: The bird apparently didn't get into the underground areas of the facility. It dropped the bread on what was described as an "outdoor piece of equipment", which somehow caused overheating issues and would have triggered the automatic shutdown failsafe had the beamline actually been on.
edit on 25-6-2017 by pfishy because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join