It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Larry Niven Sci-fi

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 09:48 PM
link   
After plunging into the world of sci-fi books I've come across many great authors. Some you guys helped me find. But I just wanted to recommend a great series to read for anyone that enjoys a good book.

Not only does Niven do very well at keeping you hooked. He also takes advice from fans and colleges that studied his books.

Anyway here are the books.

Ringworld
Ringworld engineers
Ringworld throne
Ringworld children
And the newest of the series fate of worlds.

He also has prequels to the ringworld series that are in ways better in my eyes.

Fleet of worlds
Juggler of worlds
Destroyer of worlds
Fate of worlds goes along with this aswell.

Also looking for more authors
edit on 11-6-2017 by Crumbles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles
man kizin books while not all connected tell a pretty good tale en.wikipedia.org...

if you like alternate history harry turtle doves world war series isnt bad read it when i was younger en.wikipedia.org...

the expanse series is great and its a tv show on sci fi so id check that out and hes not like george rr martin and does not take decades between books

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The Man Who Ended the World by Jason Gurley is a pretty good sci-fi read little short but a good story none the less . I havent gotten a chance to check out his other works yet but if they are anything like the one I read he could be worth checking out if you have a tablet the app google books has it on sale for a dollar or 2 once in awhile and I think its only a couple bucks on amazon.
"Jason Gurley will be a household name one day." – Hugh Howey

When Steven Glass's third grade teacher asked his class what they wanted to be when they grew up, Steven's classmates shouted the usual answers: "A fireman!" "A teacher!" "The President!" When his turn came, Steven said, "When I grow up I'm going to be the last man on Earth."

Warning signs don't come much clearer than that.

posted on Jun, 11 2017 @ 11:25 PM
link   
If you're looking for more authors, it's worth checking out the Arthur C Clarke Award and/or Hugo Award winners/nominations lists. One of my most recent finds was Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, which I highly recommend. It's ace. đź‘Ť

The Wool Trilogy of novels by Hugh Howey are worth checking out, as are the Culture novels by Iain M Banks (although I suspect you'd like any/all of his work, given that you like Larry Niven).

Enjoy your adventures!

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:40 AM
link   

If you want some more Niven, with Co-Author, look for The following three (All Co-Authored with Jerry Pournelle):

The Mote in God's Eye;
Lucifer's Hammer;
Footfall.

Also give a try with "The Saga of Seven Suns" by Kevin J. Anderson.

Arthur C. Clarke you can never go wrong with. His Odyssey series (2001, 2010, 2061 and 3001) is excellent excellent reading, as well as Rendezvous with Rama, and Time's Eye.

Lastly, if you're willing to take a dip into a truly MASSIVE universe, and are ready to do quite some research, the table-top war game, Warhammer 40,000 is absolutely fantastic. there are hundreds of novels covering so many different aspects of it that you could never get bored there. Two noted authors there are Dan Abnett and Graham McNeil.

I hope that helps! If you want more info feel free to shoot me a PM and we can discuss in more detail.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Try some Harlan Ellison.
He is pretty much the polar opposite of "hard" science fiction.
Very surreal at times.
I give his work the highest of recommendations.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:20 AM
link   

I have only read one of his books, but it has been a favorite of mine over the years. The Integral Trees is a great book by Niven. Check it out. If you like straight sci/ fi Heinlein is pretty good. I like mine with the fantasy twist, such as Robert Jordan, and the Wheel of Time series, Tolkien, David Eddings, Roger Zelazny and his Amber series etc...

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Hard-Sci-Fi: David Brin

Fun Sci-Fi: redditcom humanity-f-yeah (replace f with another fourletterword)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Havoc40k

Must agree. The Mote in Gods Eye is the best for Niven as far as I am concerned. The Saga of the Seven Suns was tremendous but I must mention The Amtrak Wars by Patrick Tilley. The latter having a disappointing ending for me but a great read nonetheless.

kind regards,

bally

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Havoc40k

Lucifer's Hammer;

Especially that.

Adding Hyperion, Dune, Lensman

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Especially that.

I must say I found F. Herbert's Dune a tad long-winded. Excellent book, but I think it's going to be a while before I pick it up again...

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Thank you everyone. I've read all of a.c. clark and Heinlein. Unless there are some hidden gems I'm missing. Dune was a little long winded, including all the sequels and prequels. I did them all anyway, because I wanted to know what happened. I'll write down everything you all suggested.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:23 AM
link   

If you want a good read, try the Rocheworld series by Robert L. Forward. When I was younger, I was fascinated by 2 worlds so close together they exchange atmospheres and when the explorers found..........
Well, you'll just have to read them.

edit on 12-6-2017 by DAVID64 because: It's early, I've only had one cup of coffee so far and I made a mistake..ok?

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

I'll check it out. I do like series, for the simple fact I hate when a book ends.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If you liked those books by Niven, make sure to check out all his other books too, especially the books that compile his short stories and other novels from his Known Space series (of which Ringworld is part of). I liked all of the stuff he's written.

As for some similar authors, give the following a try:

Stephen Baxter
Greg Bear (very mind warping stuff)
Ben Bova (his Orion series)

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: Havoc40k

Especially that.

I must say I found F. Herbert's Dune a tad long-winded. Excellent book, but I think it's going to be a while before I pick it up again...

Yah, although I mostly meant just the first Dune, not the whole series.

So many books I've read so long ago, can't remember them all.

Ever read Doc Savage, Phillip K. Dick?

Both entertaining sci-fi fi authors, as I recall.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I haven't read a lot of Larry Niven I think I read Ring World a long time ago. I know I've read A World out of Time and Rainbow Mars but I don't really remember them. I highly recommend the Riverworld series or the World of Tiers series by Philip José Farmer. They're both great. Riverworld is amazing though. I believe the first book is called To Your Scattered Bodies Go.

Riverworld is a fictional planet and the setting for a series of science fictionbooks written by Philip José Farmer(1918–2009). Riverworld is an artificial environment where all humans (and pre-humans) are reconstructed. The books explore interactions of individuals from many different cultures and time periods. Its underlying theme is quasi-religious: Who did this? Why? How? The motivations of alien intelligences operating under ultra-ethical motives are explored.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 12:27 PM
link   
+1 on Footfall.

read that many years ago, enjoyed much. would make a great movie, maybe unfilmable.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Crumbles Larry Niven was my favorite author in the 70"s. Was in a bookstore yesterday looking for a copy of Ringworld my copy is so dogeared i can't read it anymore.My favorite character is the Pupperteer Nessus- whose race were cowards but brilliant.No one knew where there world was. A great beach book. Don't forget All the Myriad Ways,Tales of Known Space, Neutron Star*, Protector, and World of Ptavvs- Thx for the heads up on the prequels. I think Larrys books were the first to have different creatures hanging out in a bar scene- but maybe Star Trek was first- Star Wars ripped off the idea for sure.

posted on Jun, 12 2017 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Greg Bear...LOVED the Eon Trilogy. The concept of "The Way"" is just mind blowing theory and how it extended beyond
"The Thistledown"" to access "gates" to other Universes.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join