It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2017 UK General Election RESULTS Thread

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Today the UK goes to the polls to decide who leads our govt.

The two main parties are the Conservatives led by Theresa May and the Labour Party led by Jeremy Corbyn. The parties are very different than in the US but you can loosely think of the Conservatives as being on the right and the Labour Party the left.

The ramifications of the outcome are much bigger than in many past elections, mainly because of BREXIT. If the Conservatives win, we can expect a 'hard BREXIT', i.e. the negotiations will be had on the basis that the UK wants full independence from Europe. If Labour win, we can expect BREXIT to be all but overturned, we'll still be out of the EU on paper, but all the commitments will remain in place.

The polls are showing a tight race, with the Conservatives losing a lot of ground over the past few weeks. The two main issues are BREXIT and terrorism.

Now for the mechanics...

There are 650 seats up for grabs - with the winner decided in each of the 650 constituencies by a straight first past the post vote (i.e. whoever gets the most - a plurality).
326 seats are required to ensure a majority.*

*sometimes this 'magic number' is lower because any seats Sinn Fein win in Northern Ireland are not represented in Parliament, thus reducing the totals - i.e. if Sinn Fein won 11 seats, then the new total to base a majority on would fall from 650 to 639, making a majority 320 instead of 326.

If no party gets to the 326 then we have a 'hung parliament' and the horse trading begins. In this scenario, parties come together to form a coalition govt.. the Conservatives will look for allies and the Labour Party will look for allies.

To keep things simple, it is highly likely that the Labour Party will form the Govt IF the Conservative Party do not get a majority. This is because the other parties with the likelihood of winning a significant number of seats side with Labour - particularly the Scottish National Party (SNP) who are pro EU.

It is possible therefore that the Conservatives get the most seats, but just shy of the majority, and Labour still 'win' as they would throw in with the other parties (i.e SNP), to form the govt.

The first EXIT POLLS will be available at 10pm UK time, 5pm EST.

At 11pm the first results will start trickling in - 6pm EST.

The results will be coming in thick and fast by 2am - (9pm EST).

edit on 8/6/2017 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:55 AM
link   
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Vote Labour...

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 06:57 AM
link   

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. As the Brexit was such a close call, I expect the same thing for the elections as well

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Nikola014

Literally nobody cares about old media anymore..

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Not that well versed on it, but as far as I can tell...I hope you guys get out of the E.U.
You pay billions to let others run your country and impose their will, when they do not have the best interests of Britain at heart. IF independence is what you want, I truly hope you get it. Merkel and Company have made some very bad decisions and getting away from them may be the best thing the British can do at this point.

Above all, I hope you get to run your country the way The People want...the rest of us are merely bystanders.
edit on 8-6-2017 by DAVID64 because: because we're not all perfect and sometimes we make mistakes

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. As the Brexit was such a close call, I expect the same thing for the elections as well

It will be close, I think you are right.

One interesting thing about the system is that the polls can be misleading. Percentages nationwide don't matter so much (much like the US elections). Only the plurality in each of the 650 constituencies matters. In that regard the 650 constituencies are just like the mechanics of the 50 US States.

We also only vote for the representative in our specific constituency - we don't vote on who the Prime Minister is. The parties themselves decide their leader.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   
I just hope that people realise by voting conservative they are validating all they are doing and have done to damage the health, education and police services. It took me a while to wake up and smell the coveffe

edit on 8/6/17 by macpdm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:15 AM
link   
a reply to: UKTruth

Yes, but I thought the English system is designed so that you already know who the whole government from the opposing party would be, in case they won, no?
edit on 416k2017Thursdayam014 by Nikola014 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: macpdm
I just hope that people realise by voting conservative they are validating all they are doing and have done to damage the health, education and police services. It took me a while to wake up and smell the coveffe

Unfortunately there are no good options here.

The conservatives have been a shambles - especially under that idiot Cameron.
That said, a vote for Labour means open borders and bending over to Brussels.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014

Yes, but I thought the English system is designed so that you already know who the whole government from the opposing party would be, in case they won, no?

We know who we are voting for in terms of the representative in our constituency and also what party / platform they are on.
We know who the Prime Minister will be based on who wins, though we don't vote directly for that person. It is perfectly possible that the day after the election, the party leader could step down and a new person put in place who would then become Prime Minister.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   

The very close result of Brexit was a major cause of resentment.

It follows a very close result for these elections will result in major resentment.

The young Labour voters have been primed to kick off in the event of Labour losing.

Which will result in more repressive legislation hastily being pushed through without the politicians voting on this undoubtedly pre-prepared legislation having time to read it through.

I smell a big rat.
edit on 8 6 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

edit on 8 6 2017 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

The very close result of Brexit was a major cause of resentment.

It follows a very close result for these elections will result in major resentment.

The young Labour voters have been primed to kick off in the event of Labour losing.

Which will result in more repressive lagislation hastily being pushed through without the politicians voting on this undoubtedly pre-prepared legislation having time to read it through.

I smell a big rat.

If that is true it is a big reason NOT to vote labour... any party that carries a threat of violence if they lose needs to be shunned.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

I can see there are negatives and positives both sides but its the sheer arrogance of the conservative party which also drives me away. I hope at least the SNP will lose some seats out of all this but thats a subject for another time I guess.
edit on 8/6/17 by macpdm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

I can see there are negatives and positives both sides but its the arrogance of the conservative party which also drives me away. I hope at least the SNP will lose some seats out of all this but thats a subject for another time I guess.

That is where it gets interesting, fella.
If the Conservatives don't get a majority it's highly likely that Nicola Sturgeon will be Deputy PM.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Well done on the thread OP

I do wonder at the closeness everyone is expecting.

2 reasons.
So called shy tories.
And lazy students who won't make it to the polls.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK

Well done on the thread OP

I do wonder at the closeness everyone is expecting.

2 reasons.
So called shy tories.
And lazy students who won't make it to the polls.

I will be watching the UKIP vote carefully... if they stay with UKIP it could be a tough night for Theresa May... if they switch to Conservative, a majority is still a strong possibility.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Good point.
I know a few other kippers and every one of them is voting blue. I also got a mail of the local kippers advising members to put aside party loyalty and do what's right for the country this time.

Make of that what you will

edit on 48pThu, 08 Jun 2017 07:40:48 -050020172017-06-08T07:40:48-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Good point.
I know a few other kippers and every one of them is voting blue. I also got a mail of the local kippers advising members to put aside party loyalty and do what's right for the country this time.

Make of that what you will

Makes sense for them - they already know that their votes never amount to many seats anyway.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Yeah, and you also have to factor in the anti brexit effect of voting for Labour or Lib dem, sort of flies in the face of the very reason someone would turn to ukip to vote for either of those.

posted on Jun, 8 2017 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Yeah, and you also have to factor in the anti brexit effect of voting for Labour or Lib dem, sort of flies in the face of the very reason someone would turn to ukip to vote for either of those.

..and you can be sure that Brussels is doing everything possible to ensure a Labour win...

back in May of this year..

www.ft.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join