It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satellites orbiting Earth are facing grave threat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:09 PM
link   

At least 170 million pieces of rapidly-moving space junk are now circulating in Earth’s orbit and this debris may even lead to a “catastrophic avalanche of collisions” and destroy all working satellites

“We're losing three or four satellites a year now to space debris collision. We're very close, NASA estimates, of within five to 10 years of losing everything,”

In February this year, NASA astronauts dumped a ton-and-a-half capsule of trash out of the ISS in what looked like the biggest instance of littering in space ever.

Source
It seems that we're facing an ominous situation here. Apparently there are about 170 million pieces of space junk currently orbiting the Earth, most of which could potentially collide with and destroy the Earth's satellites. It's not helping, of course, that we're literally littering in space by dumping trash and just letting it float around. Space junk is a problem that needs to be dealt with soon, because it's already responsible for killing a few satellites every year. Apparently NASA is estimating that there could be a catastrophic widespread satellite destruction within just a few years. If that happens, the world will likely be thrown into chaos.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:12 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

I think NASA exaggerates a bit so they can secure more money, which I am ok with. We should fund NASA with a healthy budget.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Oh my .

You mean making a f-up mess of the areas in space that satellites are put into orbit is/was a bad idea?

Let me guess, more money to clean up this mess that was preventable?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Here's the link from Nasa, written in September 26, 2013.

Space Debris and Human Spacecraft

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Sounds like they made an expensive dump and now the garbage is starting to cause problems. I think maybe there should be more regulations to control scrap, the taxpayers will wind up paying to clean up the trash created by scientists. We should make scientists that do this pay for the cleanup, after all they got paid to make the mess.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Where are they getting that 170 million pieces figure? Surely that's a typo or a gross over exaggeration.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
How come satellites never crash into each other?

How come satellites are never destroyed by meteors that are allegedly entering earth very frequently?

Soo many questions...

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
a reply to: vinifalou

cool map

Stuff in Space

There is quite a bit of junk up there and has been for a while.

mg

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Of course this is fake news to 'flat-earthers'

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV
Where are they getting that 170 million pieces figure? Surely that's a typo or a gross over exaggeration.

Are you....questioning NASA???

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: firefromabove

You are insinuating something----spit it out.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Space Roomba.

Happy Birthday! Your million dollar idea for free!

For a video, check out, ATS, Space Exploration - From a distance the world looks... surrounded by a huge cloud of trash.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: firefromabove
I question their claim that we are going to lose every satellite in a couple of years. Unless they are using subtlety to cover up that its going to happen through some other ominous means ...

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
a reply to: missed_gear

Why does it seem all the debris is moving at 7kp/s'ish and dropping to earth or going off into space?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:48 PM
link   
That's why the average extraterrestrial's spacecraft insurance has more than quadrupled.
And you ought see the deductibles. Totally out of this world.

Buck

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: flatbush71

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: firefromabove

originally posted by: MarkOfTheV

Are you....questioning NASA???

No but I am questioning the head of Australia's Space Environment Research Centre, Ben Greene. He is the one who came up with the 170 million pieces of junk number.

That just sounds outrageous when Nasa.Gov says they are tracking only about 500,000.

edit on 31-5-2017 by MarkOfTheV because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Could you not shotgun micro pellets into sections of space and change a lof of the debris orbit? Either pushing the debris out or even in?

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Sounds like we need a real life version of a 1970's tv sitcom.
Quark was set on a space sanitation cruiser.... picking up space trash.

posted on May, 31 2017 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: worldstarcountry

Well the elite do frequently communicate by code through various means. Space is yuuuuuge, even the low Earth orbit playground. I find it hard to imagine they truthfully believe what they are trying to sell here. Most likely just trying for that bigger budget as several have stated. Speaking of budget, space.com had a good little read yesterday about the U.S. Air Forces space budget.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join