It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish prosecutors drop Julian Assange rape investigation

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Swedish prosecutors said on Friday they would drop a preliminary investigation into an allegation of rape against WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange, bringing to an end a seven-year legal standoff.

“Chief Prosecutor Marianne Ny has today decided to discontinue the preliminary investigation regarding suspected rape concerning Julian Assange,” the prosecutors office said in a statement.

More details to follow...

Swedish prosecutors drop Julian Assange rape investigation
CNN - Sweden drops Julian Assange rape investigation

There we have it folks. If I'm to understand this correctly Assange can now leave the embassy. Obviously this is just breaking news and more details will come soon but if my understanding of this is correct this is a MAJOR win for Assange and his team.

edit on 19/5/2017 by Kryties because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kryties

That is good news!

Assange can now leave the embassy.

Isn't there any other country wants him? like US ?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Maybe he told them he's a Muslim...

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: szino9

That is good news!

Isn't there any other country wants him? like US ?

As I understand it charges haven't been filed by the U.S. yet - but if I were Assange I'd stay put in the embassy until I knew for sure either way.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Its about time!

Now, if we can get some sane leadership in this country, we might be able to offer the fellow some freedom and protection from those who seek his head, rather than be behind one of the knives in his back. That would be nice.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:48 AM
link   

But if he leaves the embassy he could be detained by UK police and face extradition to the US.

After the news was announced on Friday, Wikileaks tweeted that the "focus now moves to the UK", saying the UK had "refused to confirm or deny whether it has already received a US extradition warrant for Julian Assange".

So it's not quite over yet but a huge hurdle has been cleared - now it's up to the UK to make it's move.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 04:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrueBrit

Its about time!

Now, if we can get some sane leadership in this country, we might be able to offer the fellow some freedom and protection from those who seek his head, rather than be behind one of the knives in his back. That would be nice.

I've heard that he still faces UK charges for breaching bail but now that the charges have been dropped one might hope that the bail breach charge would be nullified. I'm failing to understand how seeking refuge in an embassy qualifies as "breaching bail" however....

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Well the UK does not worry about the criminal records of a good proportion of the newly arrived folks here to enrich, I am sure they could be forgiven in dropping any charges against Mr Assange..

Personally I see his next step as getting the hell out of the embassy and into a non extradition treaty country for when the next round of arrest warrants are issued.. Granted that is far easier to say than do.

RA

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:32 AM
link   

Its about time!

Why would we offer Assange protection? What's this got to do at all with the leadership of the UK? We've spent millions performing our legal duty while the little turd hides in a darkened room, I just wish he'd leave - quietly would be nice, but not his style is it.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: uncommitted

We've spent millions performing our legal duty while the little turd hides in a darkened room, I just wish he'd leave - quietly would be nice, but not his style is it.

What exactly is your problem with Assange?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:41 AM
link   

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kryties

Is the press expecting a presser soon?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   

We've spent millions performing our legal duty while the little turd hides in a darkened room, I just wish he'd leave - quietly would be nice, but not his style is it.

What exactly is your problem with Assange?

How long have you got? What is your infatuation?

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:55 AM
link   
a reply to: uncommitted

Why?

Well first of all, Assange is someone who promotes freedom of information, prevents the keeping of secrets where they cover up a criminal act on the part of governments, and therefore is a friend to anyone who has a love of liberty. If we get the right leadership, they will have the same vested interest in Assanges freedom, as will any just and moral person in this country.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 05:58 AM
link   

How long have you got? What is your infatuation?

No need to get snarky, I asked a simple question.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Its about time!

You and I are in agreement on this one, however it looks like the UK police want to arrest him for jumping bail.

Not clear whether that is a paperwork formality or whether they would take it further.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Not clear whether that is a paperwork formality or whether they would take it further.

Looks to be more of a "paperwork" issue now:

The Metropolitan Police issued a statement saying the Westminster Magistrates Court had issued a warrant for Mr Assange for failing to surrender to the court on June 29, 2012, and that the police were obligated to execute that warrant should he leave the embassy.

However, they noted he was now wanted for a “much less serious offence’’ and said their resourcing would therefore be “proportionate to that offence’’ - indicating they had little interest in proactively pursuing him.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Looks to be more of a "paperwork" issue now:

The Metropolitan Police issued a statement saying the Westminster Magistrates Court had issued a warrant for Mr Assange for failing to surrender to the court on June 29, 2012, and that the police were obligated to execute that warrant should he leave the embassy.

However, they noted he was now wanted for a “much less serious offence’’ and said their resourcing would therefore be “proportionate to that offence’’ - indicating they had little interest in proactively pursuing him.

Hopefully that is the case - but it's always a risk trusting the British police.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:28 AM
link   

"Chief Prosecutor Marianne Ny has today decided to discontinue the preliminary investigation regarding suspected rape concerning Julian Assange," the prosecutors office said in a statement.

Ms Ny said it was "not possible to take any further steps that would move the investigation forward".

"All prospects of pursuing the investigation are now exhausted," she said. "It is no longer proportionate to maintain the arrest of Julian Assange in his absence.

"To continue with legal proceedings would require Julian Assange's personal appearance in court. There is no longer any reason to continue with the investigation."

As Assange has already has meetings with Swedish officials and was interviewed by prosecutors late last year, and now with this, any doubt as to his innocence should be quelched.

Assange's Australian legal adviser Greg Barns said he would ask (Australian Prime Minister) Malcolm Turnbull to intervene.

"Mr Turnbull should talk to [Theresa] May about safe passage out [of the UK]", Barns told Fairfax.

"Mr Turnbull should also ask whether there is an extradition request against Assange."

Yes it will be interesting to see if Turnbull has the balls to do the right thing and help Assange out of the UK. I'm doubting this very much though - he's shown multiples times that he has no spine whatsoever.

posted on May, 19 2017 @ 06:33 AM
link   
If he steps out of the embassy he will get a free ride to Gitmo.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join