It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Triggered deflection frowned upon in threads?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Firstly, I've composed this in Board Questions because I think it is a valid question, and also so the first person to post "You're triggered! Lol" is unable to get any stars.

We are all 'triggered' every day. My cat meowed this morning and that triggered me to feed her. Last Monday I heard the council bin/trash lorry/truck wake me up triggering me to run downstairs and get my bins in the street.

Every thread or post I reply to has been triggered by a thought relevant to the debate, so to me, being triggered is emotionally neutral as a term.

I read a topic earlier and one member made a valid point but the other member completely deflected with the 'triggered' label. All reasoned debate was killed at that point, especially when the accuser got lots of stars for a lame post.
I see it often, usually by the same members, and it seems sometimes that ATS is devolving into a Facebook style where deflection is the way forward instead of reasoned debate.

So ATS, especially mods, what do you think?
Are childlike defections such as triggered to be frowned upon or embraced?

I'm happy to play that game if so, or I'm happy to report them if mods agree that such a debating tactic is off topic. The tactic of deflecting the conversation to the poster's alleged emotional state instead of the topic and posted words/argument.

For the record I'm not triggered in the emotional way lamely accused, just interested in this specific style of debate and if ATS approves or not.
I'll work under any rules if it ain't my house, just checking with my hosts.
edit on 18.5.2017 by grainofsand because: clarity

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 12:59 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Its the internet ! People are going to say things that they normally would not say because they can hide behind the curtain of anonymity. People get "stars" every day for post that are mean, inappropriate, and sometimes outright hostile. WHO cares that they get stars ? If that is the measure of success in our lives then we are spending too much time on the internet. Laugh and move on, in the scheme of things does it really matter ?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

You appear to be doing similar, focusing on how you imagine how emotionally affected I may be.
I posted the OP because I love interesting logical and reasoned debate. I am emotionally neutral about the points in the OP, I'm asking is such a debating style approved by ATS.

So what do you think about my points regarding style of debate?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Based upon how enthusiastically, frequently and often accompanied by tired, overwrought memes it is used...

Ima say no, no it is not frowned upon.

Yes I am "triggered".

Any emotional or even slightly contrary opinion elicits frenzied cries of "Triggered!!!" among a certain subset on ATS. Most of them have wandered in when they are bored on Reddit or any number of MRA sites.

There, and now I just triggered a bunch of man babies.

Oh crap, I did it AGAIN, when I said "man babies".

TriggeredtriggeredtriggeredTRIGGEEEERRRRDDD!!!!

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:13 PM
link   
The term is used by those that are too lazy to properly refute an assertion or are so politically biased they refuse to admit the truth of the matter at hand may not be agreeable to their position.
edit on 18-5-2017 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:19 PM
link   
a reply to: redhorse

Lol, it does seem to be growing on ATS though and reminds me of facebook.
As I said, I'm happy to play that game if ATS wants to go down that road
I'm way more of a prick on public Facebook threads and I'm showing my real identity there.

If the future is deflection, insults, and focusing on a posters emotions instead of words, then so be it. I'm just checking house rules is all.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

Excellently put

The question is do the mods/owners see this as their future or not?

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Excellently put

Mods are just humans with partisan proclivities too. Some of them love the "triggered" meme.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Excellently put

What can they really do? They can't force people to respond intelligently and properly. They can't ban people for being lazy and using the "triggering the triggerables" like it's the only response they know.

The best thing we could do is ignore people that use the term(s). But I doubt that would work very well, either.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:38 PM
link   
It comes with the territory.

Maybe try zooming and scrolling the window on cell or tablet so avatars and stars aren't obvious.Hopefully it will be easier to focus on the posts that way...

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:45 PM
link   

You see I'm game to play if that's what ATS has become, I'm easy either way, just checking house rules.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

You miss my point, I know all that I'm asking is that debating style now acceptable on the forums now.
If so I'll embrace it myself as the house is happy.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   

a reply to: dffrntkndfnml

You miss my point, I know all that I'm asking is that debating style now acceptable on the forums now.
If so I'll embrace it myself as the house is happy.

In some forums if you mention anything supernatural, you will be "woo wooed" to death. Goes with the territory I guess.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 01:58 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Mocking an opinion from an opposing argument is different to deflecting from someones argument with assertions regarding the posters emotional state.

I'm easy and I'll play any game, just checking if that's how ATS want it.

*edit*
And to repeat, I was inspired or triggered to post this topic by someone else's thread I had no involvement with other than reading it.
I am emotionally neutral about it.
edit on 18.5.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 02:00 PM
link   

There are some forums where you can actually have thought provoking debate. Not with every member but most, there are people with strong opinions and no amount of debate will ever change it and they resort to one liners or the catch phrase of the day to shut down any opinions that differ from their own.

I am not sure what forum where the one liner occurred but if it was one of the many political forums then forget any sort of informed or thought provoking debate as its not going happen in the current environment as people are simply too divided to debate and many will argue the results of 2 + 2 to just prove their own point.

I try to stop anymore debate at that point as it is not debating and usually just defacing and pointless to continue as it will continue to circle around to the beginning and start over. It wasn't my intent to focus on anyone's emotions but simply point out they aren't debating and they have no style because they are right and anyone else is wrong and to just ignore it

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 02:01 PM
link   

And above all, we are well-renowned for operating the most professionally managed discussion board environment that inspires intelligent contributions and meaningful debate. We refuse to allow short "drive-by" posting that add nothing to the thread. We refuse to allow insults and mayhem that you'll see on many other boards. We refuse to allow spam and hate speech. We promote intelligent posting. Something is going on here what is it ? We promote productive debate and collaborative discussion. We promote the examination of any topic as long as manners are maintained. We respect the content of other sites and encourage linking. We respect our members' content and defend its credibility and their rights.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

Thanks for the intelligent and reasoned reply.
I agree with much.

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 02:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

Enforcement is the proof of any pudding though.

It is why I'm asking ATS policy.
edit on 18.5.2017 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Is there an enforcement matter not dealt with yet ie ref'd in op ?

2nd line

posted on May, 18 2017 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: ZIPMATT

No, not really, I've just seen it creep into ATS since being a member, and I'm checking if this is now acceptable as a debating style here.
If deflecting to the alleged emotional state of the poster to kill any reasoned argument they have is okay then I can run with it.

I have been unaffected, the OP was inspired by reading the interactions of others.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join