It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Type of Bird Makes This Sound..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Yesterday I was outside and I heard an unusual bird call. I've never heard it before and have checked out bird videos that have local birds of my area "singing" and haven't found it yet. (yes, even mating season songs)

Took video and shared it with my family and they have never heard it either. I was wondering if there were any bird enthusiasts that would be able to help me out. I was able to extract the audio and upload it to soundcloud which can be found here: Bird Song

The sound in question happens/starts right before the 2 second mark and carries on to the end. I have a couple more that I can upload of I need to in order to help identify it.

So...hopefully it would not be too much trouble for someone to listen to it and see if they recognize the sound. It is driving me a little bit crazy...as the sound is soo beautiful, yet I can't figure out what type of bird makes it. And I want to learn more about the bird once I do figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:34 AM
link   
That is possibly a Blackbird, but the Great Tit has around ten different combinations of calls that it makes use of. This what is known as the Beau Geste strategy. In the film of that name dead legionnaires are placed on the ramparts holding rifles to give the impression of the fort being heavily defended. The male Great Tit uses the strategy of multiple calls in an attempt to give the impression that its feeding and breeding territory is already crowded, in the hope of detering any potential interlopers.

Great pic by the way. And people say British birds are dull and drab.
edit on 14-5-2017 by CulturalResilience because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: blend57

I'm no expert, but it sounds similar to the house wren that comes to my yard every Spring.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 11:49 AM
link   

I won't even pretend like I know.

They all sound the same to me.

It is beautiful though.

Living in a condo deep in the city, I don't get to appreciate these types of sounds.

Happy mother's day Blend.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:01 PM
link   
CulturalResilience

The black bird does sound similar in tone and pitch. I just listened to a few youtube vids and that is the closest bird sound that I have heard to the one I recorded. If it is a black bird, well, I never knew they could sing so beautiful...they don't have the reputation for being anything but an annoyance usually...
Thanks for the lead : P

knowledgehunter0986
They all sound pretty similar to me as well. I think that is why I noticed this one. It was out of the ordinary for around my area. I think it is beautiful as well. And thank you for the Mothers Day wishes...that was very thoughtful.

Thanks,
blend57

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The Blackbird song is the sound of spring and summer for me along with the screech of the Swifts. But yesterday I heard a Cuckoo, that is one of the joys of living on the wild moor. It's my first summer living here and the sounds of the birds in the day and the owls at night remind me of how fortunate I am.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Where do you live. That could help identify a species.
I'd say it sounds like a small bird but the tiny Carolina wren has a hugh voice so sound doesn't necessarily match size.

We have a mocking bird in the neighborhood right now and he must be old because he has a long song list.
My yard is a symphony. Cardinals, robins, chickadees, wrens.

Hope you get the bird identified.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
It is a sweet song, but not one I hear.
AFAIK, not a chickadee, robin, cardinal, mourning dove, or any of the birds in my yard.

What part of the country are you in?

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: CulturalResilience

I like the trill followed by three sharp tweets of the red wing black bird. So easy to identify if you live where they do.
I like the wolf whistle of the cardinal often followed by what sounds like someone saying pew pew pew pew.
And robins just twinkle a pretty sound.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Me?. I'm in coastal Virginia. Sea birds have dominated my life. I grew up on long island in N.Y..
Both milder climates and home or rest stop for migrating birds.
I learned to identify bird sounds in the field.
Now the internet helps.
I'm not a bird watcher so much as just a person who enjoys what comes my way when I'm outside.
I have a parakeet who talks to the birds outside all the time.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

Me?......

I have a parakeet who talks to the birds outside all the time.

Well, the OP

That is pretty cool.....your bird talking to those in the wild!

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:36 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

I live in a city. The birds are there. It's just a matter of stopping to listen. If they all sound the same to you then slow down and give them a chance to impress you. The city has more than just pigeons.

I saw a bald eagle on top of an apartment building in New York city when I was ten.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: TobyFlenderson

You may have a winner.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Sweet sweet song.

The Carolina wren has a much bigger voice

www.bing.com...

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Funny side note: Every time I play the Carolina wren sound bite one in my back yard answers. Every time.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   

I asked the OP that too. I think someone hit on the house wren. I linked a wiki recording that sounds like it.

My window is open and the outside birds can hear every time I play a sound bite.

I live in a city but I have a large property and most of it is garden. Trees and bushes. Bird baths and a pond for water. And lots of bugs.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

I know they are there, but I'm on the 28th floor. Only thing I get in the mornings is a bright sun light on my face

Atleast the view is nice I guess.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Going outside now to enjoy some bird song and this beautiful mothers day.
80 and sunny here.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Happy mothers day to any who stop here.

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Sillyolme

I was listening to the wren. It is not the sound I am referring to. But, maybe I am not listening to the right thing? I am going to load more sound clips in a few and then see if that helps any.

Thanks for the links and additional information. It is much appreciated. And the Mothers Day wishes too!

DontTreadOnMe

I ruled out the main birds around here as well. (at least the ones I know of) But..ya never know, someone might know exactly what it is. The blackbird is pretty close..but it goes up in octave. This one went down. I am not well versed enough to know if the song of a bird changes that drastically from area to area..or bird to bird.

As soon as I get those video clips converted I will load them up..

Thanks everyone for the interest and the help!
blend57

posted on May, 14 2017 @ 01:12 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join