It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are the chances of NK and the US getting along?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I have my doubts as to whether or not the trouble on the Korean Peninsula will go away even though hostilities seem to calmed down somewhat. There have been reports of the possibility of Trump meeting with Kim Jong Un. Here's an excerpt from one of them:

North Korean officials began informal talks Monday with a group of American experts in Oslo, Norway, amid speculation that Washington may seek dialogue with Pyongyang, diplomatic sources said.

It's their first Track II meeting in half a year. The previous session was held in Geneva, Switzerland. "It's my understanding that dialogue between North Korean government officials and U.S. civilian experts opened today (Monday) in a suburb of Oslo and will continue through tomorrow," a source here said.

The North Korean delegation is reportedly led by Choe Son-hui, director-general of the North America bureau chief of the communist nation's foreign ministry. Her counterpart is Suzanne DiMaggio, director and senior fellow at New America, a think tank based in Washington D.C., according to another source.

Source

I found the above link on Twitter. However, just a few minutes before the above report came out, the same source posted this report. Here's an excerpt:

North Korea on Tuesday reiterated its resolve to continue to fight against the United States as it marked the first anniversary of its leader being elected the chairman of the ruling party.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un became the chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea at a rare party congress held in May last year. North Korea's state media praised Kim's accomplishments, saying that the country has withstood what it calls U.S. nuclear blackmail and sanctions. "The U.S. and its followers adhered to its largest-ever nuclear threats and scheme for pressure and sanctions to rob us of everything we cherish. But our line of defense is an impregnable fortress," the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.

The North's leader has strengthened his power since late 2011 when he took office following the sudden death of his father Kim Jong-il.

Source

However, there's another threat from NK that has been discussed before....EMP:

While the international community and news media focus on North Korean missile tests and the country’s nuclear program, one expert warned on Sunday that North Korea may be secretly assembling the capability to take out significant parts of the U.S. homeland via an electromagnetic pulse (EMP) attack. Dr. Peter Vincent Pry is executive director of the Task Force on National and Homeland Security and is the chief of staff of the Congressional EMP Commission. Speaking on this reporter’s talk radio program, Pry pointed to two North Korean satellites that are currently orbiting the U.S. at trajectories he says are optimized for a surprised EMP attack.

Source
Then there's an excellent commentary re. the "bad news" and "good news" about tensions between NK and the US.

The Bad News:

1. Up to 15,000 North Korean artillery pieces are aimed at Seoul. North Korea has been digging in and preparing for this stand-off since the 1960’s, stacking and hiding missiles and artillery in the hills and mountains of its border with South Korea. Many of these weapons will carry chemical weapons (more below). The artillery’s lethality is often debated, but there is a persistent belief these weapons could turn nearby Seoul, home to approximately 25 million, into a “sea of fire.”

2. North Korea may want something the U.S. can’t give. Here is the critical question: Are the Kims irrational expansionists who will only accept complete control of the entire Korean peninsula, or cornered hermits just hoping to survive? Neither Trump nor Chinese President Xi—nor even the North Korean people—really know the answer. This makes us nervous: The previous two leaders of North Korea negotiated international disarmament frameworks which guaranteed Pyongyang’s security, yet it was they who broke each one.

.....further down in this report...........

The Good News: When it comes to Pyongyang, there really isn’t any. Is there such a thing as a totally intractable national security challenge?

Source

We seem to be in a holding pattern for now. As far as I know, our assets are still in the Korean Peninsula, being carefully monitored by not only NK but also China and Russia. We still have, as far as I know, Navy Seals who are being/has been trained to take out Lil' Kim.

What do my fellow ATS members say? Will this conflict end peaceably or otherwise? I think all sides already went too far and that war is inevitable. Hopefully I am wrong.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   
I'm tired of being threatened by this guy every year. I had to spend a year on that border and I hated every minute of it. I hope we do something quick and don't screw around anymore. He will be giving all the nuclear data to Iran and Iran will give them missile technology and money. When we sent them food before they told their people this was tribute the North was making the United States pay for them not to attack us. If the Red Cross sent in supplies they changed the name on the bags of food and medical supplies to their own stamp. These people are just bad. How much do you think went to the people. They used it for their military and let the people starve. Enough is enough. It's time to finish this war and then leave the peninsula. When I was there some people in Seoul were protesting us being there. I thought good! maybe we can leave and they can deal with these maniacs. Then the North threatened them and the South said "Oh wait. maybe you should stay here" a reply to: dianajune

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:27 PM
link   
a reply to: dianajune

Will hopefully end in hugs, and everyone saying: "we're sorry"...

Send all US military back to the USA, might also be less worrying to sovereign nations.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:37 PM
link   
The little snowball has no chance in hell , unless he be a changin his ways
Answered.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 09:51 PM
link   
With the Trump bromance with Putin...anythings possible!!

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Here is the issue with "talks". The goal of the US / West / China is a nuclear free peninsula - North and South Korea. Lil Kimmy has stated time and again that they will never give up their nukes. The US is done giving money / aid to N. Korea in exchange for them stopping their program only to see it continue once they get the aid.

If China doesn't want a war then they will need to replace Lil Kimmy with his fathers brother, who is in exile as an ambassador to the Czech republic where he cant cause issues.

Absent that we are on a collision course for either a war or an assassination of lil kimmy.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Things are not always as they seem. The real reason for an escalation maybe fighting over drug profits. CIA has always been involved in importing drugs to finance their covert operations.

www.csglobe.com/north-korea-opium-afghanistan

This article explains it better than I can.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xcathdra

Here is the issue with "talks". The goal of the US / West / China is a nuclear free peninsula - North and South Korea. Lil Kimmy has stated time and again that they will never give up their nukes. The US is done giving money / aid to N. Korea in exchange for them stopping their program only to see it continue once they get the aid.

If China doesn't want a war then they will need to replace Lil Kimmy with his fathers brother, who is in exile as an ambassador to the Czech republic where he cant cause issues.

Absent that we are on a collision course for either a war or an assassination of lil kimmy.

I highly doubt that NK will give up its nukes anytime soon, nor will Lil' Kim tuck tail and run. He strikes me as the kind of despot that will take out everyone around him should he get cornered.

I didn't know Lil' Kim had an uncle in exile. What about his nephew? The one whose father Lil' Kim had assassinated?

On a related note, here is a video from Anonymous that came out two days ago re. NK and the US.

edit on 8-5-2017 by dianajune because: trouble with YouTube link

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Today, here in the land of "fear". Nothing is happening other then North Korea building more missiles. For what? Also can anyone explain to me why Japan is/was sending all them discarded bicycles to North Korea to be recycled into metal? Many people don't know this, but most of the Pachinko parlors in Japan are North Korean owned. Just recently Japan enacted a law that foreign exchange to North Korea be limited to 10000 yen (100 bucks) per transaction. Personally, everyone is in bed with North Korea when it comes to making money. Same way with China, suddenly China is America's best new economic friend. Crazy world it is these days. Well anyway, I hope them expired sea rations from the US once again make it to North Korea to feed the military there, surely you know, a hungry enemy is a dangerous enemy.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:43 PM
link   
They get along just fine.

What you are seeing is theater and bad theater at that.

They are all friends behind closed doors bud, all friends.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: drifter1109
Things are not always as they seem. The real reason for an escalation maybe fighting over drug profits. CIA has always been involved in importing drugs to finance their covert operations.

www.csglobe.com/north-korea-opium-afghanistan

This article explains it better than I can.

Greed for money. That has been a problem for humanity for way too many years. Not only for individuals but our government and big pharma.

As for the problem with addiction to painkillers and how our gov't and others (inc. NK) are all too-willing to "help," - I can attest as to how dangerous this can be. I've had several major surgeries and am a wuss when it comes to pain tolerance. I found over time that the longer I was on prescription narcotics, the more I needed to get the relief I wanted.

Whether this industry is a reason for current hostilities on the Korean Peninsula, time will tell. Nothing would surprise me. This world has really gone downhill.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Non US media has reported the US has pulled large contingents of units out of the DMZ area and re-positioned them south of Seoul. That would be a move to prepare for an attack from N.K. Essentially trading territory for time to get US forces / allied forces into position from other areas in the region. Northern Seoul will most likely fall however trying to go south of that and they will have major difficulties.

Neither side is going to back down unfortunately.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 11:45 PM
link   

Non US media has reported the US has pulled large contingents of units out of the DMZ area and re-positioned them south of Seoul. That would be a move to prepare for an attack from N.K. Essentially trading territory for time to get US forces / allied forces into position from other areas in the region. Northern Seoul will most likely fall however trying to go south of that and they will have major difficulties.

You have a source for this?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: dianajune

I highly doubt that NK will give up its nukes anytime soon, nor will Lil' Kim tuck tail and run. He strikes me as the kind of despot that will take out everyone around him should he get cornered.

I didn't know Lil' Kim had an uncle in exile. What about his nephew? The one whose father Lil' Kim had assassinated?

On a related note, here is a video from Anonymous that came out two days ago re. NK and the US.

How about we off little Kim and have afree election?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 05:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Nickn3

The US gov't is trying. They have a Seals team in training, hoping to take him out.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 05:42 AM
link   
If US and China could iron out friendship, all those problems would go away. All of it is just proxy war and proxy political chess.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 06:59 AM
link   
The chances of North Korea and the US getting along currently? Zero.

After the removal/collapse of the dictatorship? A big "maybe"

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I've quoted this before and I'll quote it again. The question you are asking Op, should be rephrased as such:

What are the chances of the moody teenager with the keys to the gun cabinet and the crack house next door getting along?

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: 3danimator2014
I've quoted this before and I'll quote it again. The question you are asking Op, should be rephrased as such:

What are the chances of the moody teenager with the keys to the gun cabinet and the crack house next door getting along?

Good point. Or perhaps I could rephrase it this way:

"What are the chances of a crazed despot who despises even his own family of getting along with a leader who won't take his nonsense?"

or

"What are the chances of one who, having a gun pointed at him, suddenly saying "Can't we all just get along" to the one who wants to whack him?"

The time of "strategic patience" has ended. Or so they say. Like I said before, this conflict seems to be in a holding pattern but I suspect it won't be for long.

posted on May, 9 2017 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: D8Tee

You have a source for this?

I'm not doubting the veracity of your post, but I'd love to read more about this as well, as it's the first I have heard. If true, I'm surprised it hasn't broken into U.S media yet. As tensions continue to be high, media is typically all over any significant troop movements.

Look forward to learning more.

Edit: Meaning Xcathdra's original post... hit the wrong button over here : )
edit on 9-5-2017 by Sagacity because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join