It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Deliberately Getting AIDS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
There is a new internet underground springing up in which men deliberately seek out others with the HIV virus in order to be infected by them. It is a "Brotherhood" of the "Gift Givers" and the "Knocked Up," where the virus is not feared but thought of as erotic and sexy. The men who actively seek out HIV infection are called the "Bug Chasers".

www.rollingstone.com
Carlos nonchalantly asks whether his drink was made with whole or skim milk. He takes a moment to slurp on his grande Caffe Mocha in a crowded Starbucks, and then he gets back to explaining how much he wants HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. His eyes light up as he says that the actual moment of transmission, the instant he gets HIV, will be "the most erotic thing I can imagine." He seems like a typical thirty-two-year-old man, but, in fact, he has a secret life. Carlos is chasing the bug.

Carlos is part of an intricate underground world that has sprouted, driven almost completely by the Internet, in which men who want to be infected with HIV get together with those who are willing to infect them. The men who want the virus are called "bug chasers," and the men who freely give the virus to them are called "gift givers." While the rest of the world fights the AIDS epidemic and most people fear HIV infection, this subculture celebrates the virus and eroticizes it. HIV-infected semen is treated like liquid gold. Carlos has been chasing the bug for more than a year in a topsy-turvy world in which every convention about HIV is turned upside down. The virus isn't horrible and fearsome, it's beautiful and sexy -- and delivered in the way that is most likely to result in infection. In this world, the men with HIV are the most desired, and the bug chasers will do anything to get the virus -- to "get knocked up," to be "bred" or "initiated into the brotherhood."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wonder how wide spread this is and how much it is costing us to keep these people alive? I wonder how many innocent people they have infected? I dont think Tax payers be forced to pay to keep these people alive.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
very interesting story amuk.

...I am saddened that our world offers these people no other way to find whatever it is they need. ...purpose? an identity? a way to be part of the larger community? ...a future worth living for?

[edit on 3-2-2005 by soficrow]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
With the world population at about 6 billion I don't feel sorry for these idiots. If they want to die, sure go ahead, just don't give me the virus before going.

Surf

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I am just horrified at such a selfish, self-destructive act like this. This is not a badge of honor or something to boast of - it is a death sentence that affects not only them but their families and friends. The friends I, and many others on this board, have lost during the 80s and 90s to this absolutely vicious disease would have given anything to know what we do now about this disease.

Why don't these particular men just play russian roulette with a full chamber? It would be quicker and they would be less apt to spread their ignorance to others.

B.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
What is really suprising is some of them seem to thionk the disease is no big deal and are then shocked to find out they are going to die. Can someone really be that stupid? I feel sorry for those with this sword hanging over them, but I cant feel it for these idiots

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Oh yes ... 'Chasing the Bug'.

Last year, on a different chat site, we all had a conversation
about this. Some hetrosexual people thought that 'Chasing
the Bug' wasn't real. Well, we plugged in and 'listened' to
some gay/bisexual chat rooms and they acknowledged that
it is real and that it's a problem with some folks.

Sad really. These people think it's a badge of honor, or a
sexual turn on or something ... when in fact all it really is,
is death. By the time they figure it out, it's too late and
their life has been wasted. Very sad.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:18 PM
link   
what really scares me is these are the type of people who would spread it to an unsuspecting person...maybe like a surprise "gift". these people dont deserve the true gift they were given, the gift of life!

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Darwinism in action. This is not survival behavior. I say if education about the consequences doesn't deter these people, let them go out however they wish.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ambient Sound
Darwinism in action. This is not survival behavior. I say if education about the consequences doesn't deter these people, let them go out however they wish.

I agree but how many innocent people are they infecting? It seems like they could be jailed on some kind of endangerment charge

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:39 PM
link   
We got people who get their kicks playing Russian Roulette with a loaded pistol and people who are aroused by strangling or asphyxiating themselves, now you got these bozos. Only difference is the first two only wind up offing themselves. I wonder how many partners these gents then give "the gift" to as a suprise package.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by Veltro]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Amuk-
That is the most frightening part of this - would they disclose this to other partners? The cheap thrill aspect of such a stunt leads you to conclude that there isn't much thought given to the consequences, let alone how this would affect anyone else.

Ignorance is what caused the HIV/AIDS epidemic in the 80s - I worry that this same kind of ignorance will allow HIV/AIDS to make a resurgence in the years to come. We need to start educating again, like we did in the late 80s. Show people the ugly horror that is AIDS.

B.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   
This "news" has been recycled time and again for at least the last three or four years. Probably longer.

Can anyone guess the reasons why?

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by kegs
This "news" has been recycled time and again for at least the last three or four years. Probably longer.

Can anyone guess the reasons why?

Because I just heard about it on the news last night? This is the first time I have heard of it.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
What the heck? this is(to me) obsurd. do these men know what they are doing to each other? this is not sexy!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
HIV transmission from one male to another through anal sex is
next to intentional and irresponsible. I would really like to see the data on the cost to society these dick smokers impose. I'll bet you won't see that data on CNN!

[edit on 3-2-2005 by max_shepherd]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Rolling Stone magazine did a piece on this almost two years ago, this isn't exactly a new phenomenon.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys

That is the most frightening part of this - would they disclose this to other partners? The cheap thrill aspect of such a stunt leads you to conclude that there isn't much thought given to the consequences, let alone how this would affect anyone else.

B.

I really can't explain this kind of self-destructive behavior but I can't help but wonder if it is a plea for sympathy--a way to get attention. Perhaps they think that getting the virus will get them the attention and sympathy they so desperately need.

I can't say for certain, but I would think that these people would indeed tell other partners (as well as everyone else they know) that they are infected. I don't think they would go through all the effort to get the virus and not tell everyone that they are infected. I don't think that their goal is malicious (GOD I hope not) but rather a desperate, though misguided, cry for attention.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by jupiter869]

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
This my friends is why putting up with the same ole smartee day in and out if a GOOD thing lol.
Very sad news. Some people just do not understand how dear life is.

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869

I really can't explain this kind of self-destructive behavior but I can't help but wonder if it is a plea for sympathy--a way to get attention. Perhaps they think that getting the virus will get them the attention and sympathy they so desperately need.

I can't say for certain, but I would think that these people would indeed tell other partners (as well as everyone else they know) that they are infected. I don't think they would go through all the effort to get the virus and not tell everyone that they are infected. I don't think that their goal is malicious (GOD I hope not) but rather a desperate, though misguided, cry for attention.

[edit on 3-2-2005 by jupiter869]

Gosh jupiter, that makes a sick sort of sense. How sad and mixed up those people are. What they really need is some psychiatric help!

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I can be pretty sure that the ones "Chasing the Bug" haven't seen the end stages of this disease or they wouldn't think it was so sexy. How Sad.

jm

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join