It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Recovering a stolen cell phone...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:03 PM
link   
TL;DR version: My phone was stolen during an armed robbery at my shop. He took my keys, cell phone, and all the money in the safe. Can you help me locate this phone?

Last week on Friday I was pretty much ganked by an individual sitting outside of my shop, waiting for the opportunity to hold me at gun point.

I know the individuals full name. So save those comments about calling the police.... I already have, and I am continuing to do so. I just find it that no police officer really cares.

But to progress this individual stole my keys, my cell phone, and all the money in the safe.

After phoning the police, telling them everything that happened, even the gun he was holding (a Russian PMM.) And his full name *redacted*. My cell phone, three hours later, sent out a signal flare.

The coordinates pointed to an area nearby. Upon scoping out the place where it was near... It appeared to be behind the house of an armed army vet. Every license plate had the AV tag on it.

But that would be too obvious right? The houses on the other side intrigue me more than someone who keeps his garage open with several cars and bikes shown. Because these other houses.... They seem like they have been abandoned. The cars are parked in a specific manner. And because new Mexico is #ing stupid.... They have their license plates hidden. So these houses... are highly suspicious.

So I actually talked with the armed vet. All of his sons are denying having anything to do with my phone. And trust me their answers were straight "no's."

So. I looked around this man's garage and saw a few shotguns... saw a few pistols. Asked him if he had any guns that looked similar to a Russian PMM. He showed me every gun he owned. Cool dude too. So it's not him or his sons. He knows about every gun.

Now... The cell phone... I want to attempt to recover it.

And I am wondering if there is truly anyone out there who really knows his stuff that can actually locate it. Or if there is anything I can try myself to recover it.

Mind you I currently hold a license with lookout mobile security. But the problem is? That gps signal flare is the last flare I have received. Nothing further than that.

Now to add to this story. Before my phone got shut off... at the phone store the very next morning. I looked at my bill later that day and found something interesting happened. He used my phones data. Even after I stopped the phone from being able to make calls.... my marked as stolen phone was still downloading stuff. Mind you i had my cell phone set to not download any updates unless i said to do so. So my phone should have never gone over 1 mega byte of data between the time it was stolen to the time i cut it off at the store.

How much data? Apparently an app was downloaded.

One that was.... 3.97 megabytes at first.
Then later in the morning about 40.84 megabytes were used. 1 hour before I could get to the phone store.

So somehow my phone... Even with it being marked stolen. Was still being used.

Which means this mother #er performed a factory reset. And possibly changed the IMEI in the phones system. If he was smart enough.

Later on another 17 megabytes was used... then another 40 megabytes were used. All before I could do anything about it at the t-mobile store.

Again I marked the phone as stolen with a representative. And I had the sim card locked. So how the # is he still able to use my data?

So now. I need help recovering this phone.

Can anyone truly help me?

edit on 572017 by GiulXainx because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Do you have a google account? Google can track and call the phone. Idk if its any better than lookout, just another option.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I can't help you, but the local police know where that phone is within five feet.

They probably won't tell you though.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

The thing is... They never asked me for the phone's IMEI.

Unless of course county officials can just ask for this info from my cell phone carrier.

But. I'd like to be able to track the phone myself and find this #er out in the open and just take this phone back.

And to answer anyone suggesting what to use to track this phone, and I forgot to say this in the op.... I have already used every single tracking site, Android device manager, google dashboard, lookout mobile. Several IMEI tracking websites. Nothing shows up.

So. Again. I want to know if anyone out there can truly help me track this phone via other methods than just googling for another "paste your IMEI here and hit that track button!" Website....

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: GiulXainx

Android device manager doesn't show you?
Even after a factory reset it should show you last known location.
Might be time to ask the internet how to steal a phone- might give you more information.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:39 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Did that. And for a Samsung galaxy s5.... You have to have access to a computer. And... unlock the phone.

Which again.... after t mobile cancelled the SIM card.... He was still able to use my god damn SIM card to access my data plan.

I just did a search now. Just as I did during the times the phone was still connected. See at the bottom of this screenshot it says device not found?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Once the simcard is blocked the signal is gone. If you have a decent phone you can't just reset without unlocking the phone first. I assume you had somekind of security preventing access to your phone.
Either way they shouldn't be able to do something usefull with your phone, which is the whole point. You steal a phone you get a brick

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Jubei42

The funny thing is....

At 1 30 am. On April 29th I had the SIM card blocked. I had it locked with lookout and it successfully sent out a lock code. I have the pin with me.

The phone.... still connected to the internet, my data line, and used my data to download aps. And like I posted in the OP. My phone is set to NEVER download any updates, or automatically download pictures and what not. It only ever updates gmail (kilobytes of data mind you.)

On my phone bill, between 1:30 am when I had t-mobile lock the SIM card, to 10:30 am the same day, April 29th 2017. My stolen phone downloaded, again on a blocked SIM card, over 140 megabytes of data.

So please... If you can't, can someone explain to me how the # this is possible?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:33 PM
link   

The sad reality is you'd be better off forgetting about it. There are 1000s of phones reported stolen/lost every day and the police would be wasting their time trying to find them all. Not to say they shouldn't try, but *priorities* yeah?

People who steal phones usually turn them off and toss the sim card. Newer Samsungs and iPhones still send out signals when 'off.' Older phones don't. There are ways to change the IMEI too.

I've had two stolen in the past three years. Current phone is insured and backed up on Google. I was gutted to lose the text messages and don't think there's any decent way to back them up even now.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I already have a new phone. And already made peace with being separated from it for the rest of my life.

But if there is a way to change the IMEI, but at the same time that ID is also embedded deep inside of the system, there has to be a way in which this sucker can still be tracked by the right person who can sift through code. So I am putting it out there if you can find this phone, and put it back into my hands? You get 250 dollars. No joke. PayPal instant transfer.
results only.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Can't help. Sorry. Looks like it's in the hands of the police and not a priority.

Is this link any use for the future? Useful?

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:43 PM
link   
well.. since you used android device manager.. ill assume its a android.... android can easily be wiped, even if there is a pass code for it

after that it can be rooted and the person can change the IMEI, and use it

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I wouldn't be so much concerned about recovering the phone as I would be having an armed robber caught and locked up before he hurts or kills somebody.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Mark08

I don't care if he has a gun. I have one too. Only I don't have any shred of mercy for this mother #er. Honestly I will murder him if I ever see him again.

But right now my phone... is probably being shipped to Africa, or Spain. And I am willing to bet it is going to Africa. Mauritania Africa to be precise.

So here is a better question now.... is there any conceivable way to deter people easily accessing the factory reset? Like a Bios password for computers?

And @ jiggly: I came to that same conclusion hours after my phone was stolen.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

Of course that link was of 0 use. Every time my email says "we found your device" and it directs me to that stupid ### information page? I leave a comment for google to read with a very professional lashing at those people who allow IMEI and password screens being easily bypassed in a couple of minutes.

Of course you can always say "well at least my personal data is erased for me." But I would much rather have my 500 dollar investment not get taken away so god #### easily.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Did you try to download "Plan B" to your PC?

It's made by Lookout, and works if you didn't install a locating app before it was stolen.

May not work, I am getting a weird "not available in your country" playstore error (US)

Might be worth checking it out.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Mandroid7

It's not giving me an option for Plan B.

At least... let me google something right quick.

well looks like Plan B is uh.... not even in the play store anymore.

posted on May, 7 2017 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Was the phone password protected???
Mostly out of curiousity...wondering if a password has any value to deter use of a stolen phone.

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:28 PM
link   
you need the IMEI of your mobile phone (this should be on the packaging, look there) and access to a GSM HLR register (
). Then you can lookup the celltowers location it´s booked in. From there go with a SDR or old motorolla C123 with osmocombb running and track down the bastard to his front door.

That´s how I would do this. It´s oldschool, reset-safe, sim-change-safe but it has to be turned on and book into a celltower.
edit on 8-5-2017 by verschickter because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 8 2017 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Do you still have the receipt/bill and the packaging with the IMEI? What is the police doing on this?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join