It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush's liberty song echoes Vietnam tune (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Antonia Zerbisias of the Toronto Star offers up another view on President Bush's State of the Union address of last evening. One not so full of hearts, tears and flowers, but one that looks a little more pointedly at the invasion then and now.

www.thestar.com
When U.S. President George W. Bush strode into the Capitol to give his State of the Union address last night, his supporters waved their darkened fingers at him in celebration of his triumph at the Iraqi polls.

But was that purple ink or did Congress stir the purple Kool-Aid with its collective fingers? And are Americans expected to drink it, the way so many swallowed the administration's lies about weapons of mass destruction that the media reheated and served up?

"We will succeed in Iraq because Iraqis are determined to fight for their own freedom, and to write their own history," said Bush, in a speech that, by my count, included seven mentions of the word liberty, eight droppings of democracy and 28 counts of free or freedom.

Bush talked of a now "free and sovereign Iraq" — although that probably comes as a surprise to the overwhelming majority of Iraqis who want the U.S. occupiers, who are building permanent bases there, out.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'd be more inclined to agree with this type of opinion than the ones that offer glory with no real substance. Talk is cheap so they say. Its wonderful that the Iraqis are able to vote...though how legitimate this election is remains to be seen. The future of the country is still questionable...with permanent U.S. bases being built there...and Iraqis being excluded from reconstruction contracts...will Iraq truly ever be independent? I have me doubts.

Related News Links:
fairuse.1accesshost.com

[edit on 3/2/05 by AlwaysLearning]

join