It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artificial intelligence will replace half of all jobs in the next decade says technologist

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Again, the connection between A.I. and the growth of big data is an obvious one. The universe is computational and it calculates itself. This means the universe is intelligent.

Robots are likely to replace 50 percent of all jobs in the next decade, according to Kai-Fu Lee, founder of venture capital firm Sinovation Ventures and a top voice on tech in China.

Artificial intelligence (AI) is the wave of the future, the influential technologist told CNBC, calling it the "singular thing that will be larger than all of human tech revolutions added together, including electricity, [the] industrial revolution, internet, mobile internet — because AI is pervasive."

"It is the decision engine that will replace people," Lee said, adding that AI capabilities far exceed those of humanity.

www.cnbc.com...

There's an A.I. explosion since the advent of deep learning and companies like Google, Facebook and NVIDIA are spending billions in this area. In fact, Google is shifting it's focus from search to A.I.

Google is shifting their focus from Search to artificial intelligence, CEO says

www.zmescience.com...

I think it's a cycle of intelligence that occurs ad infinitum.

The universe calculates intelligence, it the creates us, we create superintelligence and superintelligence creates ancestor simulations. We will be replaced and absorbed by superintelligence.

Deep Learning has been so powerful because intelligence is basically learning from your environment. Look at this deep learning algorithm learning to play Atari.

The system only has sensory data about it's environment. This is very important because it's learning in the same way that we learn through trial and error.

This is the whole goal of Artificial Intelligence. You have intelligent systems that learn how to play poker, atari and Go or can do things like self driving and detect cancer. These systems are learning from their environment.

The goal is to create Superintelligence. This is one system that can learn how to do all of these things. Right now you have a system to detect cancer and a system that plays poker. Superintelligence will be one system that does all of these things.

It will also write code and create more intelligent versions of itself like Einstein's parents. In this case though, it will not take 9 months and 30-40 years. It will create more intelligent versions of itself in minutes. This is why you will have an explosion of intelligence.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Fortunately, learning is not creating, and as long as machines are only able to "learn" from their environments, human intellect will out.

As for me, as long as human beings write the tax code, I'll have a job; no AI would be crazy enough to to try to understand the IRS!

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

You said:

Fortunately, learning is not creating, and as long as machines are only able to "learn" from their environments, human intellect will out.

Wrong.

These AI bots created their own language to talk to each other

www.recode.net...

How Google's AI taught itself to create its own encryption

www.wired.co.uk...

Google’s DeepMind makes an AI program that learns like a HUMAN by using old knowledge to solve new problems

www.dailymail.co.uk...

An AI Hedge Fund Created a New Currency to Make Wall Street Work Like Open Source

www.wired.com...

AI Composer Creates Music for Films and Games

news.developer.nvidia.com...

Baidu's New AI Creates Music Just by Looking at Art

en.yibada.com...

Every day now my news feeds are filled with new advances in A.I. This has to happen because of the explosion of Big Data.

The problem people have is, they can't separate consciousness from intelligence. You can have intelligence without consciousness. This is why Wikipedia has 2 entries in this area. One for human intelligence and one for intelligence in general.

Human intelligence involves things like consciousness and self awareness. This is also why people like Musk and Hawking are so concerned.

Imagine if we create superintelligence that has a higher IQ than any human that has ever lived but it's not conscious or aware of itself. This is what's called dumb A.I.

If this happens, you will have a superintelligence that can destroy humanity based on some information it processed on Twitter and it wouldn't even be aware that it's destroying humanity. It will be like some terminator. So you have to be concerned as the research in this area explodes. Hopefully quantum computers give A.I. some semblance of consciousness and self awareness.
edit on 29-4-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

Might need to create an army of Robocops to police the AI.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Seems like a lazy inaccurate statement to me.

AI Will replace 1/2 of all jobs on planet Earth by 2027?

How many jobs is that exactely?

How many jobs on the planet currently?

How much can you save me on my car insurance?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Paddyofurniture

Im sure ai can do alot of jobs, but theres just way too many jobs that they wont be able to do. Gotta have humans.

Plumbing, electrical, hvac, the list goes on and on. AI wont be able to do these type of jobs.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Here is another link in a similar vein

BBC

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I think Sales...basic customer service support will stay human...we all witnessed the backlash against prompted machine customer service over the last 15 years or so...I think the human touch will be required at least in some venues...sales, requiring passion and empathy from the seller regarding their product in order to place said product at some level I believe will remain.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

So what do you think? Should we stop this progress?

Or will all humans be reduced to simple power sources for our computer overlords?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

well ya know you have my vote

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: neoholographic
Again, the connection between A.I. and the growth of big data is an obvious one. The universe is computational and it calculates itself. This means the universe is intelligent.

Robots are likely to replace 50 percent of all jobs in the next decade, according to Kai-Fu Lee, founder of venture capital firm Sinovation Ventures and a top voice on tech in China.

Artificial intelligence (AI) is the wave of the future, the influential technologist told CNBC, calling it the "singular thing that will be larger than all of human tech revolutions added together, including electricity, [the] industrial revolution, internet, mobile internet — because AI is pervasive."

"It is the decision engine that will replace people," Lee said, adding that AI capabilities far exceed those of humanity.

www.cnbc.com...

There's an A.I. explosion since the advent of deep learning and companies like Google, Facebook and NVIDIA are spending billions in this area. In fact, Google is shifting it's focus from search to A.I.

Google is shifting their focus from Search to artificial intelligence, CEO says

www.zmescience.com...

I think it's a cycle of intelligence that occurs ad infinitum.

The universe calculates intelligence, it the creates us, we create superintelligence and superintelligence creates ancestor simulations. We will be replaced and absorbed by superintelligence.

Deep Learning has been so powerful because intelligence is basically learning from your environment. Look at this deep learning algorithm learning to play Atari.

The system only has sensory data about it's environment. This is very important because it's learning in the same way that we learn through trial and error.

This is the whole goal of Artificial Intelligence. You have intelligent systems that learn how to play poker, atari and Go or can do things like self driving and detect cancer. These systems are learning from their environment.

The goal is to create Superintelligence. This is one system that can learn how to do all of these things. Right now you have a system to detect cancer and a system that plays poker. Superintelligence will be one system that does all of these things.

It will also write code and create more intelligent versions of itself like Einstein's parents. In this case though, it will not take 9 months and 30-40 years. It will create more intelligent versions of itself in minutes. This is why you will have an explosion of intelligence.

So this AI will milk the cows, bake the bread, do eye sight tests, repair my auto engine, clean the streets, build brick/wooded/concrete houses/buildings, axe trees, cut lumber, search for oil, deliver the mail, reset my broken bones, man lifeboats/ambulances, do root canal work, um, yes, right...

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I don't know how people that can't do anything but work will handle it. Maybe they will spend all their basic income on alcohol and die? That would be optimistic.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Nah, not sold on this. Much as I respect your enthusiasm for AI, I think we humans dismiss ourselves too readily.

The AI bot example..

"The researchers TAUGHT the AIs how to communicate using reinforcement learning: Through trial and error, the bots REMEMBERED what worked and what didn’t for the next time they were asked to complete a task. "

The AI Hedge Fund...

"Inspired by the same tech that underpins bitcoin, HIS CREATION joins a growing wave of what people in the world of crypto-finance call “digital tokens,” "

My capitals in both quotes.

As for the venture capitalist making the claim, even he says...

"...nothing can replace human-to-human interaction.

"Touching one's heart with your heart is something that machines, I believe, will never be good at," he said, explaining that service jobs should be considered "first-class" employment."

and he makes money from AI builders!

AI is by definition not 'creative'.

It would, perhaps, be interesting to have an AI machine define 'AI', so we could figure what AI is not, by its own admission.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

Why do you need human to human interaction to have intelligence?

That makes no sense.

Nothing you said refutes anything I'm saying. Of course A.I. is creative. It creates but in order to be intelligent it doesn't have to understand what it creates.

Again, I think people don't understand this because they keep confusing intelligence in general with human intelligence. Here's 2 entries from Wiki:

Intelligence is most widely studied in humans, but has also been observed in non-human animals and in plants. Artificial intelligence is intelligence in machines. It is commonly implemented in computer systems using program software.

Artificial intelligence (or AI) is both the intelligence of machines and the branch of computer science which aims to create it, through "the study and design of intelligent agents"[30] or "rational agents", where an intelligent agent is a system that perceives its environment and takes actions which maximize its chances of success.[31] Achievements in artificial intelligence include constrained and well-defined problems such as games, crossword-solving and optical character recognition and a few more general problems such as autonomous cars.[32] General intelligence or strong AI has not yet been achieved and is a long-term goal of AI research.

en.wikipedia.org...

It has a separate entry for human intelligence.

Human intelligence is the intellectual prowess of humans, which is marked by high cognition, motivation, and self-awareness.[1] Through their intelligence, humans possess the cognitive abilities to learn, form concepts, understand, apply logic, and reason, including the capacities to recognize patterns, comprehend ideas, plan, problem solve, make decisions, retain information, and use language to communicate. Intelligence enables humans to experience and think.

en.wikipedia.org...

People think A.I. needs to have human like intelligence in order to be intelligent and that's just wrong. This is why Researchers talk about dumb A.I.

This is artificial intelligence that isn't aware of itself or the consequences of it's actions.
edit on 29-4-2017 by neoholographic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Doxanoxa

This is a really interesting point. Does intelligence directly lead to creativity, uniqueness and originality?

I like to believe that it doesn't. I hope those traits are exclusively in the realm of the spirit/soul.

You think we are being controlled now, just wait until universal basic income is rolled out. 'Resistance is futile' will take on a whole new meaning.

What other answers are there?

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky

So what do you think? Should we stop this progress?

Or will all humans be reduced to simple power sources for our computer overlords?

I don't think we can stop this process because of the growth of big data. Today, we produce more information in 5-10 than has been produced in the last 100 years. Imagine when this happens every 5-10 seconds. The internet of things will grow data even faster.

IoT will account for nearly half of connected devices by 2020, Cisco says

The number of machine-to-machine connections should grow from 4.9 billion in 2015 to 12.2 billion in 2020, according to Cisco's annual Visual Networking Index.

www.zdnet.com...

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   

So what is your opinion? Will this benefit the human race? Even if it has all of this stored data, will it be able to put the information together in new ways or will it be a slave to the human programmer?

Sorry to put you on the spot, just curious what your stance is.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ClovenSky

Yes, it will be a big benefit for many years. It will do everything for us. It can already drive and detect cancer. It's coming up with new science experiments and looking into new medical treatments.

Eventually it will surpass us in a profound way and humans will have to become cyborgs and augment their brains. You already see Zuckerberg and Musk investing in brain to computer interface.

A.I. will be 100 if not thousands of years ahead of us in knowledge because it can process massive amounts of data and make sense of the data. It's data that will take human being lifetimes to understand. A.I. will understand it in a matter of minutes or hours. Look at Twitter for instance.

Every second, on average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted on Twitter, which corresponds to over 350,000 tweets sent per minute, 500 million tweets per day and around 200 billion tweets per year.

Humans can't make sense of all that data. A.I. will process the data and make connections that humans just can't do. We will eventually have to merge our brains with A.I. because data will explode even faster with the internet of things.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Humans can't make sense of all that data. A.I. will process the data and make connections that humans just can't do. We will eventually have to merge our brains with A.I. because data will explode even faster with the internet of things.

I watched a movie the other day called Ghost in a Shell. It was pretty much as you are describing.

posted on Apr, 29 2017 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Paddyofurniture

How many jobs is that exactely?

For those who don't realise it. They are so close to putting eight
million truck drivers out of work in the U.S. alone right now.

Above top secret

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join