It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Gobleki Tepi Vulture stone a record of Younger Dryas Comet strike?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 11:09 AM
link   

A new paper is making the case that the Vulture stone at Gobleki Tepi records the an a prtoposed ancient comet encounter that kicked off the Younger Dryas cold period.

We have interpreted much of the symbolism of Göbekli Tepe in terms of astronomical events. By matching
low-relief carvings on some of the pillars at Göbekli Tepe to star asterisms we find compelling evidence that
the famous ‘Vulture Stone’ is a date stamp for 10950 BC ± 250 yrs, which corresponds closely to the
proposed Younger Dryas event, estimated at 10890 BC. We also find evidence that a key function of Göbekli
Tepe was to observe meteor showers and record cometary encounters. Indeed, the people of Göbekli Tepe
appear to have had a special interest in the Taurid meteor stream, the same meteor stream that is proposed
as responsible for the Younger-Dryas event.

DECODING GÖBEKLI TEPE WITH
ARCHAEOASTRONOMY: WHAT DOES THE FOX SAY? Martin B. Sweatman* and Dimitrios Tsikritsis

I have not had a chnce to fully read the paper, but it looks very interesting.

I am of the opinion the celestial events form the basis for much mythology and some events were recorded by early people in the form of rock art.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: punkinworks10

Wow, I read Graham Hancock's book "Magicians of the Gods". I don't recall him saying that specific block was a record of a meteor strike, but his whole book basically lays out the premise that the Great Pyramid of Egypt marks a point 20 years in the future(from today) that we pass through the Taurid Meteor shower. He also states that this meteor stream is responsible for the the Younger Dryas event which destroyed the last civilization on earth. Supposedly North America took the brunt of the damage and we can see a lot of big land based mammals going extinct, like the saber tooth tiger and the wooly mammoth. They didn't go extinct because of over hunting, it was because their food supply was decimated by a massive meteor strike.

I often wonder if the Elite have always known that we are going to pass through this meteor shower in 20 years. After the decimation of our last world wide civilization we had to come up with a plan. That plan was to create a materialistic world view to create technology over the next thousands of years to bring us to the point we are at today so we can defend ourselves from this cycle of destruction Earth has always been on.

Supposedly Warner Von Braun said the threat after terrorists will be aliens, and the threat after aliens will be meteors. Or was it the other way around?

Either way, very fascinating, the evidence is starting to stack up.

edit on 21-4-2017 by booyakasha because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Kool will take a look see ma self, but wow¡!!, you think it only applied to the vulture motifs.. Or the entire complex???

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

If that was the plan, I hope we can make it in time, without the elites nuking everyone first before the next 20 years are done....

niv

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 12:47 PM
link   
The article in The Telegraph credits Hancock for the initial idea which is what first surprised me. I've never seen an alternative theorist get the credit for a scientific discovery before.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Weird been thinking about this subject a lot lately.

Been binge listening to podcast about it lol.

Nice find if true.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

We pass through the stream that is the likley source for this event, twice a year. It has been depleted in the past 20k years, but still give spectacular showers and occasional fireballs.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 02:56 PM
link   
So, meteoric (civilization erasing or at least mega fauna wiping) strikes with some periodicity isn't so far afield as once thought, huh?

I wonder what fringe theory will be found to have a factual basis next?

Not that I'm happy about it, or anything... cosmic mountains slamming into the landscape is a poor start to a new day, or so I've heard.

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: booyakasha

Wow, I read Graham Hancock's book "Magicians of the Gods". I don't recall him saying that specific block was a record of a meteor strike, but his whole book basically lays out the premise that the Great Pyramid of Egypt marks a point 20 years in the future(from today) that we pass through the Taurid Meteor shower. He also states that this meteor stream is responsible for the the Younger Dryas event which destroyed the last civilization on earth. Supposedly North America took the brunt of the damage and we can see a lot of big land based mammals going extinct, like the saber tooth tiger and the wooly mammoth. They didn't go extinct because of over hunting, it was because their food supply was decimated by a massive meteor strike.

I often wonder if the Elite have always known that we are going to pass through this meteor shower in 20 years. After the decimation of our last world wide civilization we had to come up with a plan. That plan was to create a materialistic world view to create technology over the next thousands of years to bring us to the point we are at today so we can defend ourselves from this cycle of destruction Earth has always been on.

Supposedly Warner Von Braun said the threat after terrorists will be aliens, and the threat after aliens will be meteors. Or was it the other way around?

Either way, very fascinating, the evidence is starting to stack up.

Earth has always been going through meteor showers. The best one was in 1833:

www.richmond-dailynews.com...

The theory is that the Earth went through the tail end of a comet, which saturated the atmosphere with fine reflective dust. That would be enough to reduce the growth of vegetation and starve the dinosaurs. There was also a major supernova event 110000 years ago which led to the irradiation of 30% of the Earth. Chert has been found with evidence of radation exposure. Could a supernova have been followed by an expanding cloud of dust and comet?

abob.libs.uga.edu...

posted on Apr, 21 2017 @ 06:31 PM
link   
I say it's all a load of old crap - to quote Ringo.

Harte

posted on Apr, 22 2017 @ 11:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Harte

Harte

Thank you for that insightful and informative comment.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: punkinworks10

originally posted by: Harte

Harte

Thank you for that insightful and informative comment.

Meh.
This research was led by a Chemical Engineer.
There ARE Archaeoastronomers out there, you know.

The paper assigns supposed constellations to the various animals on the stones.
However, sometimes a frog is just a frog, a vulture just a vulture and a cigar just a cigar.
There is no basis other than pure speculation (multiplied if reading Hancock's book) to assign constellations to any of these figures.

Harte

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:14 PM
link   
As I said in another thread about this, the facts don't match. For one thing, the megafauna didn't wake up one day and decide to suddenly drop dead... even the mammoths lasted a lot longer than that. The last ones died out around 4,000 years ago.

One of the interesting puzzles of the extinction is that things the same size and in relatively the same econiche do NOT all drop dead. Short faced bears died; grizzlies didn't.

...and then there's the rather obvious fact that you can't see events in the sky over North America from any place in Turkey.

posted on Apr, 23 2017 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I read about this.

Personally, I don't see it.

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 09:21 AM
link   
a reply to: niv
Doesn't Graham purport a comet impact on the North American Ice Sheet ended the Younger Dryas?

posted on Apr, 27 2017 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wreckclues
a reply to: niv
Doesn't Graham purport a comet impact on the North American Ice Sheet ended the Younger Dryas?

Graham H. purports nothing, this is an idea that was around before he started writing, he has just latched on to it like a lamprey.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 12:33 PM
link   
The excavators at GT have weighed in on the paper... politely, of course, but it's a pretty epic smackdown and you can read it here. It's fairly short..

However, we always were and still are open to consider these discussions. So, of course we were looking into the new study with quite some interest, too. After all it is a new and fascinating interpretation. However, upon closer inspection we would like to raise a few points which may challenge this interpretation in our point of view:

Short and polite.

There still is quite a significant probability that the older circular enclosures of Göbekli Tepe’s Layer III actually were subterranean buildings – possibly even covered by roof constructions. This then somehow would limit their usability as actual observatories a bit.

And the fault does lie in their inability to find the published reports on GT

Published over the last years and decades, there is ample scientific literature available which unfortunately did not find its way into the study. The specific animals depicted in each enclosure’s iconography for instance seems to follow a certain intention, emphasizing different species in different enclosures

...and goes on to point out that the headless man pillar has a lot more imagery, including a phallus... which kind of negates the 'death' aspect.

As I commented before, this culture's symbols are known from other examples... and they'd cherry picked the figures without real context.

In the meantime more than 60 monumental T-pillars could have been unearthed in the older Layer III – many of these showing similar reliefs of animals and abstract symbols, a few even as complex as Pillar 43 (like Pillar 56 or Pillar 66 in enclosure H, for example). And it does not end there: the same iconography is prominently known also from other find groups like stone vessels, shaft straighteners, and plaquettes – not only from Göbekli Tepe, but a variety of contemporary sites in the wider vicinity

The authors finish with:

A more thorough exchange with the excavation team could have clarified many of these concerns

As I said, the article is short but it's well worth a read.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I was going to post the response but you beat me to it.

I might add that Ocmulgee lodge, a Creek lodge, is subterrainian and was built to observe the start of the Taurids, and lets not forget that Newgrange is also an observatory and is infact subterrainian as well.

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Interesting…I just started reading Graham Hancock's book "Magicians of the Gods" that is all about this subject.

Hancock thinks that after the destruction of Atlantis by a comet strike some survivors set out to remake their civilization in places like Egypt and Sumer.

As for GT, it’s strange someone deliberately buried those enclosures…

You know as they deliberately buried five buildings at the construction of Denver International Airport.

Hancock relates GT to the Noah flood. Other writers relate it to the Garden of Eden

Very very interesting

Very very interesting

Elite…Masonic builders…ancient and modern….catastrophe protection

connect the dots

and then run fast…real fast!

And don't stop until....

edit on 28-4-2017 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2017 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

😭

Noooooooooo,
Forget Hancock, he has latched onto a valid line of scientific inquiry and debased it with a bunch of fictional nonsense.
For reading on the subject, I reccomend
"The Cosmic Serpent" by Clube and Napier, it lays out the astronomical foundations for the events.
Then "Cycle of Cosmic Catastrophes" by West, Firestone and Warwick-Smith.
"Rain of Fire and Ice" ,by Lewis
"From the Deep Ocean Above", Bard A Madsen, looks into the roots and commonalities of mythologies in terms of humans witnessing and surviving cosmic encounters, it is a fascinating read.

I'd also reccomend visiting Bob Kobres page,

abob.libs.uga.edu...

A wealth of info can be found there.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join