It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 07:00 AM
link   
*That's the article's title - it's not about me.* The author is Victoria Herrmann, the Managing Director of The Arctic Institute, a Gates Scholar at Cambridge University, and a National Geographic Explorer. Her research focuses on human development, climate change and adaptation in the Arctic. I share her concerns.

Worth a quick read.

I am an Arctic researcher. Donald Trump is deleting my citations

As an Arctic researcher, I’m used to gaps in data. Just over 1% of US Arctic waters have been surveyed to modern standards. In truth, some of the maps we use today haven’t been updated since the second world war. Navigating uncharted waters can prove difficult, but it comes with the territory of working in such a remote part of the world.

Over the past two months though, I’ve been navigating a different type of uncharted territory: the deleting of what little data we have by the Trump administration.

...We’ve seen this type of data strangling before.

edit on Wed Mar 29 2017 by DontTreadOnMe because: trimmed overly long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+37 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

It should be noted that this is an opinion piece in the Guardian that provides no links or sources to validate her claims.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Three sides to every story

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:24 AM
link   
The mere fact that she's warning us is enough.
It should be enough to start rioting on the streets demanding change.

At least in Miami they should
Parts of it seem to flooding on a daily base already.

START ACTING NOW OR DIE FROM CLIMATE CHANGE!

Sorry for being so blunt.
But it realy is the time to change, for us all
And with us all I mean everybody in this world.
No excuses.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Daalder

No excuses.
Except for.

this is an opinion piece in the Guardian that provides no links or sources to validate her claims.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Just because the federal government is removing websites and links does not mean that the datasets are destroyed forever--it just means that you have to use a source other than a government one to seek out the information you want.

This is, again, hyperbole surrounding the moves by Trump to save taxpayer dollars on things that he deems not a priority. Of course, those who think it is a priority or have their livelihood propped up or supported by these tax dollars will be upset, but I for one think that we need to slash government spending--there are plenty of privately run organizations that should be able to drum up plenty of money to fund their own climate-change research and create a centralized source (many already exists outside of government) for their data and white papers.

But therein lies the problem--it's hard to break the habit of suckling at the teat of government or relying on it for extra-constitutional things, and once someone comes in and facilitates the forced kicking of said habits, the addicts will go through withdrawals, often times in severe form.

But they'll survive (figuratively)...and if they don't, they'll adapt (literally).

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:32 AM
link   

No excuses.

Is this a sincere comment, or a satirical one?

I'm sincerely asking so that I know how to respond.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

See: scienceblogs.com...

It seems that she is complaining about the recent whitehouse.gov changes.

Not exactly what I'd call "data strangling".

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 08:48 AM
link   
okay, here is the actual facts by a critic of Herrmann About and debunking (sorta) her claims

Long story short, she is a person with plenty of education, and yes, Trump has removed a lot of the data she collected from the white house website
This is done from ideological principles of course, but its not like the information is gone..just not on Trumps whitehouse website unlike Obama's.

More importantly...did you know artic ice is melting 2 times as fast as normal...guess that doesn't matter in Trumps new world..maybe he can build a wall around the ice or something, I dont know.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: SaturnFX

This is done from ideological principles of course, but its not like the information is gone..just not on Trumps whitehouse website unlike Obama's.

One disagreement with you, Saturn. It wasn't Obama's website, nor is it Trump's, it belongs to us.

How deleting the webpages and making previously collected data harder to find is saving taxpayer dollars is a mystery. If that were truly the reason, Trump, Pruitt and company could have just put banners across every page stating that the pages will no longer be updated as of January 20th, and left everything else alone.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Olivine

It's not hard to find. Here's one of them.

They have been moved, from the whitehouse,gov domain to the obamawhitehouse,archive.gov domain. Someone hasn't updated their links. Believe it or not, Bill Clinton's links are archived as well. Oh, the horror of electing someone new!

Just more blowing smoke and calling it perfume...

TheRedneck

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 09:38 AM
link   
If all the ice in the world melted, what would the world look like?
Veiw of the world with no ice.
I can't wait, I'll have ocean front property!

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I remember when global warming and ice melting was first brought up and how by 2000 we would be underwater
Ho hum

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Didn't you know? This lady spending her life in sub-zero temperatures and literally in the middle of nowhere is bought and paid for by Soros and "them".

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
I remember when global warming and ice melting was first brought up and how by 2000 we would be underwater
Ho hum

My boss who grew up in Trinidad told me several stories about how the island has changed in less than 30 years.

He said acres upon acres of mangrove have been destroyed by sea water. The house he grew up in is now four feet under water, cricket and soccer fields that we're close to the shore are now shallow swamps.

Guess it's not happening huh?

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

It should be noted that this is an opinion piece in the Guardian that provides no links or sources to validate her claims.

This page outlines some of her work.

victoria

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:11 PM
link   

I doubt Trump would be deleting anything from her private servers. This is just about junk she posted in the public domain.

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:24 PM
link   
News should be news based on facts....NOT OPINIONS! That is how 'fake news' came about!

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Do you think it is a plot by Trump to buy up all the future beach front property?
[email protected]

posted on Mar, 29 2017 @ 01:53 PM
link   

No excuses.

Florida was sliding into the ocean before we started putting more land and opening up the glades. Miami flooding is probably man made but not global warming.

She said their self in the article they had unreliable data and maps. So how do we know. Also 1% of data samples. They could use whichever data they wanted with a 1% sample rate this is not so accurate I would think.

I am not saying either way and I still dunno my opinion on global or man made global warming. I do know though we need more data and this is what the person in the article is saying. With our tech but still maps not updated and unreliable since WW2.

<<   2 >>

join