It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military bases in Antarctica?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: cmdrkeenkid
A lot of the major powers of the world (UK, Australia, Russia, and I'm sure some others) all have bases on Antartica. All are scientific, and I'm pretty sure the American ones are run by the military. I know the McMurdo Base (American) is huge in comparison to all the others. I think it staffs a couple thousand people, too. It's all science though, no wars or anything being fought down there (though others may beg to differ.)

I remember watching an episode of 'Pole to Pole - with Michael Palin' a long while back, where he arrived at the South pole and visited McMurdo base...he wasn't allowed in and he had to pitch his tiny tent in very low temperatures right next to the heated and comfy base...that's either very telling of what kind of 'science' goes on down there at McMurdo, or an indictment of American hospitality, i'm not sure which...

posted on Jun, 22 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: MysterX
WOW! Gonna have to watch that!
As for not letting him in, a little of both I would say.

posted on Sep, 12 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: The Vagabond

when a PBY aircraft was downed by a strange phenomenon similiar to "foo fighters" which had harassed bomber crews over Germany in the war, the surviving crewman were airdropped RIFLES immediately upon being located. What in the bloody bloody hell do you need a rifle for.

What else are going to club baby seals with?

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I doubt that any war would be fought in any polar region unless it was a very severe incident were the rest of the world was just completely obliterated

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foxxer
I doubt that any war would be fought in any polar region unless it was a very severe incident were the rest of the world was just completely obliterated

www.bbc.com...

Read up on the Siachen "conflict."

posted on Nov, 21 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: gariac

www.bbc.com...

Exactly how do you 'take control of a glacier',the same way King Canute took control of the sea by commanding it to stop?

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 02:28 PM
link   

www.bbc.com...

As Imagewerx said, you can't just "take control" over a glacier.

posted on Nov, 22 2015 @ 07:34 PM
link   

www.bbc.com...

As Imagewerx said, you can't just "take control" over a glacier.

Well yeah, but you can fight over it until hell freezes over. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.)

Special weapons were designed for this "dispute."

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join