It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YouTube Is Improving The Quality Of Its VR Videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 05:19 AM
link   
YouTube offers thousands of hours of content for your VR headset with its 360 degree videos, but the massive amount of data these clips require means they often show up blurry. Google is working to fix that.

The search engine giant this week announced that its YouTube and Daydream divisions are working together as part of a new series looking at how to improve the quality of VR video. It makes sense; YouTube is one of if not the biggest providers of VR video content in the world and Google’s Daydream mobile VR ecosystem features a dedicated app for watching those videos.

posted on Mar, 23 2017 @ 09:09 PM
link   
It's about time.

I bought the Sony VR system last week and when I went to find some small clips on YouTube to test it out while I set it up for action, the quality was horrifically bad, 1080P should not be that blocky and patchy - I grabbed another 1080P clip from a good source and it was perfect.

Using YouTube for VR/360Degree videos at the moment is practically useless.

I've resorted to downloading the Original Uploaded clip (massive size - 4K +) and down converting it to 1080P with a high bitrate and low compression, much better.

new topics

join