It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bucket List Destinations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Lets go on a journey ATS.

Mt. Roraima

Aka the "Lost World", probably the closest thing to an edge of the Earth. The view must be breathtaking, and i can only imagine how exhilarating the feeling must be. Would you sit on the edge of that thing? Not me, but this is definately on my bucket list.

The Lost World

About 9 miles (14 km) long and 9,094 feet (2,772 metres) high, it is the source of many rivers of Guyana, and of the Amazon and Orinoco

On the top of the mountain it rains almost every day, washing away most of the nutrients for plants to grow and creating a unique landscape on the bare sandstone surface

The tabletop mountains of the park are considered some of the oldest geological formations on Earth, dating back to the Precambrian Era, some two billion years ago

Salar de Uyuni

Lets go from the edge of the Earth, straight to walking the clouds on a truly surreal piece of landscape. Located in the south-western desert of Bolivia, Salar de Uyuni is the worlds largest salt flat, spanning over 4000 square miles and the entire landscape is completely flat which allows the salt to create a mirror-like effect. I don't think there's a place like it anywhere else on the planet, there are so many different things i would want to do here.

Mirror on the Ground

Salar de Uyuni also lies at the heart of an ancient Aymara — the name given to one of Bolivia’s main indigenous groups —legend. Rather that forming naturally, the long-held legend claims that the salt flat came into being following the intervention of Aymara deities. Known by the names of Tunupa, Kusku and Kusina, the three mountains surrounding the salt flat were once giant people and, following the betrayal of Kusku, Tunupa’s husband, who supposedly ran away with Kusina, Tunupa’s copious flow of tears created the almost, incomparably beautiful Salar de Uyuni of modern times. In fact, so revered is Tunupa to some Aymara people that they believe that the salt flat should be named Salar de Tunupa in her honor.

Vaadhoo Island

From walking on clouds to laying with the stars. The 'Sea of the Stars' is a neat little place, the glow in the water is a natural phenomena caused by bioluminescence. I'm not really a romantic guy but this is a pretty romantic scene, and i wouldn't mind spending a night or two here with my significant other.

The Sea of Stars

In Maldives is a 1,192 island nation called the Vaadhoo Island located in the Indian Ocean and Laccadive Sea. It is Asia’s smallest and most geographically dispersed nation with the islands spread over 90,000 square kilometers.

It is known for being a heaven on Earth. Its Sparkling water of Maldives has been named the ‘Sea of stars’.
Glowing waves in the Vaadhoo Island can be explained by bioluminescence or biological light, a chemical process in the body of animals in which liberated energy is released in the form of light which is used as a defence mechanism to either distract or confuse the predators. In the Vaadhoo Island, this stunning phenomenon of bioluminescence is demonstrated by a species of phytoplanktons (the marine microbes) called dinoflagellates.

Vinicunca

Probably what i feels like to be inside a painting, these are the natural colors of these mountains. The way these beautiful creamy colors blend with one another makes the mountains seem like the most delicious ice cream flavor ever... Or is it just me?

Oh how I would love to go on a hike here on a nice clear summer morning... maybe with a scoop and a cone

The Rainbow Mountain

The journey will take you minimum 6 days to complete. A high altitude adventure that will keep you begging for oxygen as you strut above a constant 14,000 feet. You cross 5 passes ranging between 15,000 and 17,000 feet. You pass thousands of roaming alpaca and llama. You walk through beautifully diverse landscape that changes daily from snow capped peaks, to neon red desert mountains, to marshy pampas. The real reward however is when you arrive at the painted hills hidden deep in the Andes. Resembling a rainbow, this mountain will require extreme route finding, harsh camping conditions, and a strong determination, but it will not leave you disappointed.

Mount Kelimutu

What you see is a result of a volcano, this beautiful landscape harbors 3 large lakes that always have thier own unique color; changing unpredictably from blue to green to black and to red. I think I may have a thing for mountains..

Either way, nature never ceases to amaze me and this place looks almost otherwordly.

Three Colored Lakes

Currently, one of the lakes is black-brown, another is green, and the last one is in the process of changing from green to red. When Dutch geologists discovered the craters in 1914, the colors were reported to be red, blue and white. A few years ago, the lakes were white, turquoise and red. In November 2009, they were black, turquoise, and a coca-cola brown. And again in July 2010, the lakes were resplendent in various shades of green. As you can see, they change colors almost as often as a mood ring on a teenage girl and the changes happen suddenly. A popular myth suggests that the changing colors is caused by the neglected ancestral souls. The scientific community chalks it up to discoloration by sunlight and the varying mineral contents of the water from Kelimutu volcanic activity

Manpupener

7 huge natural stone pillars ranging from 30-42 meters. Local legend has it that they are the remains of seven Samoyed giants. They were on a forced march through the Urals, heading across the mountain ranges to decimate the Vogulsky people. Their Shaman, the largest of the seven, beat a drum to keep his comrades moving relentlessly on towards their quarry. However, he caught sight of the holy Volgulsky Mountains. He let go of his drum and all seven giants froze to the spot.

Or you can believe the scientific explanation of wind, snow, frost and time
Either way it must be a humbling experience standing next to these.

Seven Strong Men

Indeed, these amazing rock formations in the Urals resemble giants that suddenly stopped. The rock formations of Manpupuner are better viewed in different lighting and at different angles. Each time you will get a new impression. Weathering rocks of Manpupuner are the remnants of solid rock. In soft rock in ancient times the blotches of solid rock turned up. Soft rock during millions of years was destroyed by water and frost, and the wind swept the dust of soft rock around the surrounding areas. And only the “fingers” of hard rock of highly unusual shapes remained.

Enjoy.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Super cool thread, I'd love to go see all these places then travel round Egypt and Rome.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Bora Bora is my top bucket list destination.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I just had to google it, that place is beautiful and looks really fun. Would be a great vacation destination.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: knowledgehunter0986

Hopefully I can send you pictures next year.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I really enjoyed this thread. When I was a young tyke, my Mom enrolled me in a monthly subscription for a Geography magazine for children. I remember learning about the Urals, Peru, and even Mt. Roraima, but never read about Mount Kelimutu or Vinicunca. The photo of Peru's Rainbow Mountain is breathtaking.

The beauty in this thread -- the native legends, photos, and geography -- is stunning.

Thanks for posting-up. How about an encore?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: EightAhoy

I am already working on a second one. I really wanted to add more but this is all I could fit. I'm on mobile and it's difficult for me to manage multiple things as once.

Thanks for reading

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Bora Bora is my top bucket list destination.

I've done a fair amount of traveling -- by far, the most beautiful place I've ever been is Bora Bora.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: SBMcG
I've done a fair amount of traveling -- by far, the most beautiful place I've ever been is Bora Bora.

There is a high probability I will be there in 2018, any recommendations?

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The Iriwaddy, Samarkand, Sarawak.

I know nothing about them but I've read their names in various accounts and figure they must be exotic.
I think the Iriwaddy is a river in Pakistan. I thank Samarkand is in West Asia (Afghanistan?) and Sarawak is in East Asia (Borneo?)
I could google them but nah.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: SBMcG

There is a high probability I will be there in 2018, any recommendations?

I was there 15 years ago... Any rec's I could give you would be out of date.

As long as you're close, if you can spend a couple days on Moorea that is beautiful too.

posted on Mar, 14 2017 @ 11:23 PM
link   
S&F

Nice!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:27 AM
link   
My bucket list destination is Tibet / Mt. Everest.

Last year I started trying to put together a trip but it got overwhelming! Hours and hours of travel, multiple cities, multiple stops and when you get there you have to charter a group or car service to the town and it's not like you can just go to the monasteries, have to have a guide. It's so complex to put together. I think I'd be better off just having a pocket full of cash and winging it... haha!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Scorpiogurl

Yea you're right, I can only imagine how much of a hassle and overwhelming it would become. I doubt I would ever go to these places.. unless I got a pocket full of cash.. and lots of it

Winging a backpacking trip across the world, now that sounds like a trip of a life time.

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Awesome pics but like many destinations sometimes its quite the distance between attractions . Travelled the US from top to bottom and like Australia the distances between attractions can be a lot .
PS
Glacier National park is freeking above awesome .

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 07:04 AM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

One can only dream right?

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I Guess its more of what your used to kind of thing . Had a lady visit from the states and she was captivated by our boring flat landscape . I on the other hand found Utah to be stunning while our American friends were just so so with it . Two of my favourite beaches in South Australia you wont find on any travel guide . Not telling .

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Hunter thank you so very much for sharing this with us! The pictures and stories are amazing!!!!
I think that the salt lakes are breathtakingly beautiful!!!!! That would be awesome to see.

I have seen the sand glow. Not as bright as the picture but it does happen occasionally here as well. Here you have to kick the sand to activate them. Not as bright but still beautiful!

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Martin75

Hi Marty! Thanks for reading

posted on Mar, 15 2017 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Those are some great places. I have always wanted to visit this place, Petra in Jordan for some reason

top topics

<<   2 >>

join