It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flippy robot takes over the hamburger station in California restaurant

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:45 AM
link   
"The company says that workers displaced by the robot will be transferred to dining room duty where the human touch is still preferred." ...Really? Let me know how that works out for you.

Flippy robot takes over the hamburger station in California restaurant

...According to Miso Robotics, Flippy is a low cost, stand-alone robot designed to be used in restaurant kitchens without the need for special modifications. Using computer vision and an adaptable deep learning system, it's designed to handle the tedious job of watching and flipping burger patties.

..."Much like self-driving vehicles, our system continuously learns from its experiences to improve over time," says David Zito, CEO of Miso Robotics. "Though we are starting with the relatively 'simple' task of cooking burgers, our proprietary AI software allows our kitchen assistants to be adaptable and therefore can be trained to help with almost any dull, dirty or dangerous task in a commercial kitchen — whether it's frying chicken, cutting vegetables, or final plating."

Flippy is ...scheduled to start work early next year before expanding into 50 Caliburgers worldwide in 2019. The company says that workers displaced by the robot will be transferred to dining room duty where the human touch is still preferred.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:47 AM
link   
But muh 15 an hour minimum wage!

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Flippy's great, it doesn't get mad, it doesn't get sad, it just runs programs.

No need for bathroom breaks or wage increases either.

link to image

See the sensors up top? My guess it determines the temperature and therefore readiness of a burger by its thermal signature.

Look, I only flip 'em okay? Call the Union if you have a problem with that.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Flippy's great, it doesn't get mad, it doesn't get sad, it just runs programs. No need for bathroom breaks or wage increases either.

Flippy doesn't spit, blow snot, piss or rub menstrual blood on your hamburger either. All of these things are known to have happened to hamburgers served up by pissed off human fast food workers.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Flippy's great, it doesn't get mad, it doesn't get sad, it just runs programs. No need for bathroom breaks or wage increases either.

Flippy doesn't spit, blow snot, piss or rub menstrual blood on your hamburger either. All of these things are known to have happened to hamburgers served up by pissed off human fast food workers.

You forgot boogers on burgers. My favorite is a human hair, especially the long ones you pull out your mouth. Humans are still around, they can 'spice up' the burgers if so inclined. Flippy won't say a word.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Yep and worse... but I still have not figured out where unemployed/displaced people are going to get the money to buy a burger in the first place when this robotic revolution is in full tilt ?
edit on 727thk17 by 727Sky because: ...

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Yep and worse... but I still have not figured out where unemployed/displaced people are going to get the money to buy a burger in the first place when this robotic revolution is in full tilt ?

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I guess there might be concerns over cross contamination.

And how often is Flippy cleaned.

His spatula cup looks like a nice place for things to breed.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:22 AM
link   
All fun and games until flippy flips and plops the floor manager head first into the deep fat fryer.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Will be a pittance compared to when the restaurant burns down due to a malfunctioning robot.
edit on 9-3-2017 by Rookseven because: I'm a grammar freak

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I only worry slightly for those with piercings, tattoos, or criminal backgrounds who otherwise don't get hired for customer facing positions. Are they also guaranteed another job in a different department or will they just be told tough luck thanks for your help while you were here?

What about going forward, will it be even harder for these kinds of workers to find jobs?

-Alee

Universal Basic Income, I'm looking at you....

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:40 AM
link   

...but I still have not figured out where unemployed/displaced people are going to get the money to buy a burger in the first place when this robotic revolution is in full tilt ?

They're not. They are the burger.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

...but I still have not figured out where unemployed/displaced people are going to get the money to buy a burger in the first place when this robotic revolution is in full tilt ?

They're not. They are the burger.

Great. Now I will be finding jewelry from various body piercings in my burgers.
I hate finding those little hard bits of gristle, now it will be metal. Uggh.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic

Robots are cheaper than 7.25 an hour ...way cheaper.

The entire service industry is about to vanish..

Waiters and cashiers will be replaced by kiosks.

Truck and other drivers by self driving cars..

Manufacturing is already nonexisten and getting worse.

Hell even farm work is being automated.

Period, since we picked up the first stick humanity has needed less and less people to keep society going.

It used to take 6 guys to take down a deer, then we created spears and it only took 4.

Then it took hundereds of people to farm, now it takes 2 guys and a combine and tractor.

We already only need prob 25% of the population to work and that number is falling fast.

What do we all do for incomes when in less than 20 years there just period are not even enough bad jobs for all the good work ethic??

How does a free market supposed to work when it is no longer profitable to employ people.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Robots beat humans period...

They don't need raises, days off, vacations, food, clothing nor any of the bad stuff like steal or get sick.

The biggest lie ever is that there is any wage low enough to make humans the better option.

The minimum wage argument is only to explain away where all the jobs are going.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: NerdGoddess
I only worry slightly for those with piercings, tattoos, or criminal backgrounds who otherwise don't get hired for customer facing positions. Are they also guaranteed another job in a different department or will they just be told tough luck thanks for your help while you were here?

What about going forward, will it be even harder for these kinds of workers to find jobs?

-Alee

What jobs will survive automation is the question...or what percent of jobs??

15% maybe???

Where do the other 85% get an income??

Shouldn't robots taking all the jobs be a good thing?!?!

Lol

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Wow. Add the meal order panels. I can see massive job cuts from a mile away.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoshuaCox

originally posted by: NerdGoddess

-Alee

What jobs will survive automation is the question...or what percent of jobs??

15% maybe???

Where do the other 85% get an income??

Shouldn't robots taking all the jobs be a good thing?!?!

Lol

Excellent question. I am actually taking all the training courses at my job that I can as I was told they are working as fast as possible to automate my job. I send emails so it should be fairly simple for them to do. Nerve wrecking to say the least.

-Alee

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Is it an American machine or is a foreign machine that is working here illegally? Can't have illegals taking our jobs.

posted on Mar, 9 2017 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Flippy's great, it doesn't get mad, it doesn't get sad, it just runs programs.

If anything, that movie showed us we shouldn't have robots in the kitchen.

#NotMyCook

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join