It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We need a poetry forum, now more than ever!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Hello, my case for a poetry forum is thus: it is such a broad spectrum in itself that posting in the short stories thread seems a disservice. It is an art form unto itself, just as the short story is. O am willing to bet that a lot more people would be posting poetry if there was a forum specifically for it...

As to, why poetry in particular deserves a forum, well that's because it is a much older and honoured art form than the short story itself. Poetry, for the one so inclined, has a way of digging deep and capturing the authors intent in a bright jewel. Succint and poignant it can deliver an experience the short story can compare to with much, much more length... Poetry is the art of eloquence, in speaking as few words as possible to get the point across.

In short, I believe we need a dedicated forum just for poetry! This kind of split has been done before... For instance the separation of fantasy and science fiction from the literature forum...

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Until then I shall content myself with a mere poetry thread... Sniff

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: LucidWarrior

hear , hear

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 07:56 PM
link   
RUMI the Sufi

Love is the One who masters all things;
I am mastered totally by Love.
By my passion of love for Love
I have ground sweet as sugar.
O furious Wind, I am only a straw before you;
How could I know where I will be blown next?
Whoever claims to have made a pact with Destiny
Reveals himself a liar and a fool;
What is any of us but a straw in a storm?
How could anyone make a pact with a hurricane?
God is working everywhere his massive Resurrection;
How can we pretend to act on our own?
In the hand of Love I am like a cat in a sack;
Sometimes Love hoists me into the air,
Sometimes Love flings me into the air,
Love swings me round and round His head;
I have no peace, in this world or any other.
The lovers of God have fallen in a furious river;
They have surrendered themselves to Love's commands.
Like mill wheels they turn, day and night, day and night,
Constantly turning and turning, and crying out.
Give us a poetry forum!

edit on 8-3-2017 by DayAfterTomorrow because: Editing Rumi

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: LucidWarrior

Poetry is the art of eloquence, in speaking as few words as possible to get the point across...

And here I thought I was just a lazy typer... turns out I'm a poet.

(post by daniel2sxc removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:11 PM
link   
My personal opinion is that a lot of poetry is over rated. Not that I would know a lot about poetry. I feel a lot of people just try to rhyme and then aggrandize the drivel by calling it a poem. Some time ago, I remember poems being posted here with annoying frequency. Until one day all poems got a special place of their own.

It's not a forum but a thread instead.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 3-8-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Yep! Poetry doesn't even have to be words, not really, though certainly anything going into a poetry forum would be.

a reply to: daniel2sxc

See, thats not poetry. That's bad rap. I mean, seriously, what was the point to writing that besides to try and draw a reaction out of people? That little piece of vulgarity brings absolutely nothing of benefit and can only detract.

All that rhymes is not poetry...

a reply to: WakeUpBeer

I am aware of that thread, I looked around before posting this. However... A mere thread is not suffice for what true poetry entails... Which isn't just one person posting a peim and then receiving praise... But rather hopefully inspiring others to join into the flow and great something wonderful of their own... And a thread is simply not conducive to this which I esteem the spirit of poetry.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:35 PM
link   

I am aware of that thread, I looked around before posting this. However... A mere thread is not suffice for what true poetry entails... Which isn't just one person posting a peim and then receiving praise... But rather hopefully inspiring others to join into the flow and great something wonderful of their own... And a thread is simply not conducive to this which I esteem the spirit of poetry.

How does one judge whether a poem is good or bad?

How do you feel about bad poetry?

edit on 3-8-2017 by WakeUpBeer because: quote tags

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:38 PM
link   

i think that was poetry o_O

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:52 PM
link   

By the effect it has and the intent with which it was created... The same criteria for judging good or bad anything.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   

If your definition of poetry is 'something that rhymes' then yes that is indeed poetry.

Poetry is meant to inspire...

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

By the effect it has and the intent with which it was created... The same criteria for judging good or bad anything.

It goes pre hard as a diss o_O

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:05 PM
link   

I agree with you about the forum but, I think those of us may be in the minority...

There was a big 'thing' a while back about a poetry forum and the short stories forum being (what some felt) overrun with poetry. Unfortunately, the 'riff' that ensued over those couple of days seems to have left some of my favorite poets speechless.

Some folks choose to express the deeper thoughts of their minds in a poetic type prose which is fantastic for folks like me who love to read their words. Rhyming words may not seem like a challenge to some and to them it may not be but, to make those words flow in such a way that they are cohesive and reach out and touch a reader's heart or bring a buried memory forth and create emotions between two people (the reader and the writer) is just an awe inspiring gift to me and one that I would love to achieve on the level as some of the great writers of history and our own writer/members here on ATS.

Good luck in your quest although I am afraid that it will be unsuccessful.
I support you and will check in on your progress

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Too hard, it would seem. And, while that sort if thing may be all well and fine if you and a group of friends friendly diss each other... Well then that is a good effect and a good intent. Whereas if you meant it to harm then it is bad both ways... Or if you didn't mean it to harm but didn't establish consent to engage in such a manner than the effect is once again, bad...

But I mean, on another level. Even if you are in a group of friends dissing each other... What is being gained besides laughs? There's no furtherment going on, no advancement. Not saying that laughs are a bad thing or there isn't a perfect time to get in a circle and start dissing each other, but...

You are only going to get more dissing more and more. Getting less and less benefit, equal to the rate of enjoyment.

Whereas if you write something uplifting and someone else responds to that with something uplifting and inspires someone else who goes on to act a little differently...
Poetry can change the world and deserves its own forum for the potential which it has to inspire and increase on creativoty, positivity, and fellowship, in addition to bring highly enjoyable.

That's what I consider to be be 'bad' poetry versus 'good' poetry except I don't even consider the former to be poetry at all. And neither do the mods apparently. Now if there were a poetry forum and you didn't bring gangs into it then you probably could start a dissing thread.

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:18 PM
link   

aight tru guess thats y he died

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TNMockingbird

Hello glad to see you.

Yes we may be in the minority but those of us in that minority would certainly post enough to make up for it... I know I would! If you have an established venue for somethin and a handful of people to occupy it... Productivity is almost guaranteed. There's more than a handful of us... More than a few handfuls. And like I said, I'm pretty sure that if it was created it would inspire others to create as well. Which was my intent in asking for it in the first place ^^

Alas I fear it will by unsuccessful as well but I could not let that stop the what if...

posted on Mar, 8 2017 @ 09:30 PM
link   
The poetry forum, in a poem
The vision I see:
A place of laughter and harmony
Radical thought in poetic verse
In each others company, submerse
A place of love, of light
A place to release the reigns you hold tight
To relax in the flow, these words we traverse
To uplift the soul, to fill the heart to burst
Gleefully we sing, hoping to bring
The unity, and solidarity
Of peaceful family
One love, one light
Words to bring sight
From sight can flow connection
Which in turn can inspire action
For ourselves, for anyone who cares to listen
For the joy of speaking words that glisten
Sparkling with love and truth
Bam this song ends with a poof

Idealistic? Yes. Unrealistic? I think not. But that may just be the idealism talking

link   
Where one goes, another may follow...
edit on 8-3-2017 by LucidWarrior because: Double post

link   
Poetry strikes thrice apparently
edit on 8-3-2017 by LucidWarrior because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join