It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Single language for the E.U.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
If the EU ever expands into more then a economic union say into a Military and political one as well, It only seems logical that a single language should be adopted.

Im not saying this will happen but if it did what do you think would be the official language of the EU. English, French ,German , Spanish or something eles?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I think English would be the best option, because it is the mostly commonly spoken language, at least in Europe.

Or maybe it wouldn't evolve into a single knowledge. Take India for example, it has a lot of languages in existence today. People in different states speak different languages and lot of people know English better than they know their national language, which Hindi. So maybe EU would develop into that too, lot of languages with English being at the forefront.

Surf

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think one of the strong points of the E.U. is its determination to preserve and grow the individual languages, cultures and national competitive advantages of its constituents.

There is no need for homogenization of language, but in doing business, it's likely that English will supplant German as the language of choice simply as a result of global trends.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Interesting view MaskedAvatar seeing the many languages as a strength rather then any type of hinderance. I agree preserving ones cultures is important.

I could see this as a first step toward a global language if the EU decided to do this in the future. IMO that would be a good thing but I can understand how people could view it as bad.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
They'll probably adopt Esperanto as their unified language.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   

I would have thought that would be the US djohnsto77? What with all the Mexicans flooding your borders?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I would have thought that would be the US djohnsto77? What with all the Mexicans flooding your borders?

Do you even know what Esperanto is or is that your odd British humor, oops humour, coming out again?

[edit on 1/31/2005 by djohnsto77]

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Just my odd British humour coming in to play again...I really must stop it....

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason
Just my odd British humour coming in to play again...I really must stop it....

You're a pretty funny guy.

But you're right though, in New York some places I've been way uptown I swear I'm probably the only English speaker around.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

But you're right though, in New York some places I've been way uptown I swear I'm probably the only English speaker around.

Its the way the cookie is crumbling mate. I swear, I was walking home from work the other day, and all the way home, I did not hear a word of English.

Lots of pakistani, arabic, hindu, several african languages, some chinese, serbians, kosovans, and I think there where some people from Liverpool too.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I don't know... language is a huge part of someone. It's a way of seeing the world and understanding it, and it carries so much meaning - an entire culture. Just think of the works of authors and how much they convey...

Knowing two languages, I know how much a work or literature can lose in translation. I also know how much a language can define who you are. I think the loss of culture and identity would be unfathomable if the EU were to adopt a single language.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:14 PM
link   
French or German would be more likely to become a pan european language, in my opinion.

However the EU maintains an enormous staff of translators and prints copies of everything it does, all the minutes, all the decisions, etc, into every single language spoken in the member countries. Well, I suppose Oscan is excluded, and Basque, but anything recognized by member states is probably included.

IOW the machinery of the EU is specifically set up to keep the langauges seperate.

I think thats one of hte reason why the EU will not be like the US (in terms of states uniting).

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Personally I would hate to see the EU taken over by one langugue. Of course it would be nice if the US did that. Right now we have too many languges, English, Slang, and Spanish. It's a pain having to use one of my electives on learning a langugue other than the ones I really want to learn.

Anyhow back to the EU the most likely choice would probably be French or German. The UK seems to be isolating itself from the EU's darker side which may decrease it's influence. France is always an active member so they have considerable influence. However German is spoken in a number of countries outside Germany and Austria.

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Maybe the EU will snatch up Latin.

After all, their true motive is to resurrect the Roman Empire, why not resurrect its language as well?

posted on Jan, 31 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
spainish is easy to learn. But i suggest that the majority launguage be taguht whatever it is.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The French are SOOOO protective of their language, I think the only language they would endorse for Europe is French. There is legislation all the time by the french government to preserve the language. It's quite a big deal there.

www.timesonline.co.uk...

www.emich.edu...

www.runder-tisch-usa.de...

www.newscentral.tv...

While The last article is clearly a anti-french op-ed piece,....the figure of 3,500 banned foreign words tells the story. If france adopts any foreign language, it certianly won't be English. Although since English is freely spoken all over the world, it may be the most prudent choice,....economicaly at least.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 12:11 PM
link   
As a native English speaker, I can honestly say it should not be English! 12 years in public school + 2 years of college english = still screwing up the language. That just ain't right!

With that out of the way, I'm going to say German wouldn't make the cut for me either. My fiancee in college was taking it and told me "I love you" in German and I though I did something wrong and was about to get hit.

Spanish is fun, it's the second language I know the most of but my vote goes to...

French! Finally, I would be able to listen to my two fav. french music artists - Patrica Kaas (Jazz/Blues) www.m-a-c-e.com... and Yannick Noah (Reggae) www.yannicknoah.com... to find out what they're actually singing about
. It's smooth and sounds great in most music styles (although props to German in techno and hip-hop www.fettesbrot.de... ). Even when someone speaking french is angry and cussing, it doesn't sound as bad. Time to play those cd's, brew up some Freedom Roast coffee, and enjoy a plate of Freedom Toast.

[edit on 1-2-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   
For that matter, the Germans and French are the driving force behind the EU, while of course the little tiny countries join up because it makes them stronger. But from what I've heard Britain is proving to be somewhat resistant to the EU, though it is a member.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 09:32 PM
link   
the French will never let English get in without a fight, French may have been the language of diplomacy and kings but that was a long time ago, English in its various forms is king as far as language spread goes (Spanish and Arabic are also fairly widely spoken throughout the world).

How about reviving Latin as the EU language? it was the basis for quite a few European languages.

posted on Feb, 1 2005 @ 10:24 PM
link   
There is no way that Europe would have only one language spoken. No one would want to give up theres, but for arguements sake it would probably be French or German. Although it should be Croatian
Very beautiful language

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join