It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astrophotography - Tripods vs Motorized Mounts

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I tried looking, but are there any resources for a DIY setup?

In this case, meaning both optics and mount in an integrated system. I can pretty easily work out the electronics, but the optic side of things is a bit foreign.

I just have plenty of spare CCDs, some lenses, motors, tripods, and the ICs/discrete components to hack it all together.

I suppose I could just look into the general topic and apply that, but its more time consuming than if someone else has done it obviously!

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:55 PM
link   
a reply to: wmd_2008

Yah, I was thinking a drinking straw taped to the edge of the hinge.

Not perfect, certainly not for really long exposures, but I'd say it'd be good for at least a minute or 2.

Certainly goes under the "shoe string budget" department.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Serdgiam

I just posted this on the last page:

barn-door-tracker.co.uk...

It's a DIY Barn Door Tracker with motor, electronics and software.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 02:58 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Shoot yea!!!! No pun intended 😆

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Hmm, missed that..

But, I'm talking DIY everything in an integrated, specialized system. Optics, mount, everything. I have cute lil CCDs just sitting in a drawer waiting for a home

There are even .stl files (3d printing) for typical dobsonian telescopes, general mounts, but not really something in this specific realm.

Like I said, I can do it from the ground up, but it will have to go on the back burner behind the back burner unless someone else has done it and shared their process.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Thanks for all the kind words
I'm not really experienced with this type of photography, but believe me what a place to learn.. amazing skies. Got some good shots!

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Thanks for all the kind words
I'm not really experienced with this type of photography, but believe me what a place to learn.. amazing skies. Got some good shots!

edit on 17-2-2017 by makkerskilap because: Sorry for double post.

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:32 PM
link   

LOL, I live in Denmark myself and haven't really tried this kind of photography here yet.. won't beat the totally black, clear sky of the outback though!
and it was cool I got a shooting star, however way that's possible

posted on Feb, 17 2017 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Well, when it comes to the CCD's and making your own camera for going through the telescope, I'd recommend The CCD Camera Cookbook. Of course I've been out of the loop for this for a while, especially since CCDs for telescopes are commercially made now, and with DSLRs.

For the optics, whoa, if you mean building your own telescope, Google it, as there are lots and lots of plans out there, but that's a pretty hefty undertaking. You can buy parts to build one from some places like Agena AstroProducts and Hands On Optics. Orion used to sell parts way back when, but I think they've gotten out of the parts business except for upgrades.

You should find parts for making mounts and stuff like that also at those links.

Hope this helps.

(post by ALSGoes4th removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Great thread. This is something that I've been wanting to get into for a long long time, looking at the night sky just interests me thinking of all the possibilities and what ifs that might exist way beyond our planet.

I think what would make this thread even better, especially for newcomers to this hobby like my self, is a list of cameras from entry level to the more high end fancy models.
The trickiest part I'm finding is what to buy, and also what not to buy. Being a beginner I obviously don't want to rush out and spend a few thousand dollars.

posted on Feb, 18 2017 @ 01:20 PM
link   

link1

link2

Like most people with a printer, I'm always looking for an excuse to use it. Its easily one of the best tools in my toolbox.

Buuuut, even just adapting a CCD into one of these designs can mean a lot of work. I think ill put it on the to-do list though. I tend to like building things myself, especially because I tend to have 90% of the parts on hand.

Currently have too many cool projects going on though
Thanks for the help!

posted on Nov, 26 2017 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Whelps, this thread is a bit old, but thought it'd be a good place to post.

I wasn't really in the market, but I just recently got a Celestron 127 EQ for a good price. Wouldn't have been the one I'd pick normally, and I guess its missing mounting screws/nuts while being completely new otherwise, but.. it was $60. I felt that was a decent deal and went for it

Any tips on some neat, inexpensive mods?

posted on Nov, 27 2017 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Can't really help with that suggest you post on this thread as well it's worth a look if you haven't already seen it.

Calling all Astrophotographers, all skill levels. Post your work.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join