It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Finland Schools Rank #1 In the World, and the USA Flounders

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:36 PM
link   
It wasn't long ago that the USA and Finland were neck and neck regarding their educational systems, then within about a 20 year span they ranked #1, and the USA was left behind like a turd in the toilet. The question all of us should be asking is Why? and How?

How did they do it? And should the USA should take notice, instead of remaining complacent and arrogant?

The reason this is in the Philosophy Forum is because the word "Philosophy" stems from two Greek/Latin words "Philo" and "Sophia" , Philo means the love of and Sophia means "wisdom". (Philosophia) combined they are the love of wisdom.

A truly inspirational education is the love of wisdom, and here in the USA we hate our system, and the methods that employ it.

As much as I dislike Michael Moore he has some interesting information to share.

www.youtube.com...

hechingerreport.org...

Instead of control, competition, stress, standardized testing, screen-based schools and loosened teacher qualifications, try warmth, collaboration, and highly professionalized, teacher-led encouragement and assessment.

At the University of Eastern Finland’s Normaalikoulu teacher training school in Joensuu, Finland, you can see Hietava’s students enjoying the cutting-edge concept of “personalized learning.” Related: Everyone aspires to be Finland, but this country beats them in two out of three subjects But this is not a tale of classroom computers.

While the school has the latest technology, there isn’t a tablet or smartphone in sight, just a smart board and a teacher’s desktop.

So if we had a choice to make for our children, or the future generations, in the USA, which system should we favor?

edit on 7-2-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I suspect they're based on good plain old education, whereas here the system is more bent on social engineering than actual education. A citizenry just smart enough to pump the gas, but not know how the gas pump actually works is the general model. Oh, and lots of skin, hair and fashion products.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Realtruth

"We should be teaching our kids HOW to think instead of WHAT to think."

I heard that quote a few years back and it rings more true by the day. Problem solving, critical thinking, logic, discernment. Because regurgitating facts only tests a child's memory.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I suspect they're based on good plain old education, whereas here the system is more bent on social engineering than actual education.

Tons and tons of THIS.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I havent read your post. Murcah is the greatest. You must be cheating to think otherwise. Ignorance fu k yeah. Murkahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

"We should be teaching our kids HOW to think instead of WHAT to think."

I heard that quote a few years back and it rings more true by the day. Problem solving, critical thinking, logic, discernment. Because regurgitating facts only tests a child's memory.

Absolutely, but until people stand-up and say enough we will be stuck with this dismal archaic system we have now. This system is the opposite of critical thinking.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: IgnoranceIsntBlisss
I suspect they're based on good plain old education, whereas here the system is more bent on social engineering than actual education. A citizenry just smart enough to pump the gas, but not know how the gas pump actually works is the general model. Oh, and lots of skin, hair and fashion products.

I was going to reply to the thread but you did it for me already.

/Hat Tip and a star....

link   

Can't watch the video at the moment.... but...

I believe Finland has a tremendously smaller population and as things (like education and at times healthcare) get reduced in scale, it's easier and more efficient to manage.

For my part, there is a reason my wife and I make the sacrifice to pay our kindergarten's tuition at a private school. Much less social-feel-good stuff and more EDUCATION-education.

Further, in the private schools, because parents are paying tuition directly, the teachers and administration are held to a higher standard. There is no tenure to hide behind.

link   

Teach your kids to love jesus, murkah, and buddweiser !

Effing hippies.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Ita based off of percentages.. as much as its a damn lie because the us is the greatest. Basicaly your smartest students are behimd the worst i finland.... like i said murkah is the greatezt. Obvious lie. Hoooooahhh jesus.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
The biggest problem with many western schools is trying to force a child through the round hole that suits no one at all.

Why should a student who learns fast be required to be bored out of their minds year after endless year when they could progress much much faster.

Why should a student who does not have the brainpower be bored out of their mind because it is no use even trying to learn.

There are no children that fit the one and only one mold that the State dictates.

It would have been wonderful as a Dad if my kids came home simply to play.

Wonderful system but very anti the Education Establishment and that is exactly where the problem lies.

P

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

Im glad you pay for private school. Your children aill finally get an education equal to the uk, australia or canada.... bad news is those countrys have free education and it far surpasses the us private sector... i mean wait murkahhhh jesus ... piss beer... hoo ahhhhh!

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:55 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Finnish people did not implode their culture. A culture molds the government via voting and then synergizes with civic culture.

Want to be like Finland? Have your citizens adopt finnish culture.
Want to be like another country adopt that culture.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I can semi understand this. At least in one Tx town they are giving young children 4 play breaks a day with good results.

Also saw this on Ben Swann today.

Swann was homeschooled and earned a Bachelor’s degree in Liberal Arts from Brigham Young University in 1993, at the age of 15, and a Master's degree in History from California State University, Dominguez Hills[7] in 1994, at the age of 16.[8][9][10]

Homeschoolers are generally less ridged and spend less time, yet many seem to accomplish more.

Research on homeschooling

The home-educated typically score 15 to 30 percentile points above public-school students on standardized academic achievement tests. (The public school average is the 50th percentile; scores range from 1 to 99.) A 2015 study found Black homeschool students to be scoring 23 to 42 percentile points above Black public school students (Ray, 2015).

Homeschool students score above average on achievement tests regardless of their parents’ level of formal education or their family’s household income.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 08:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: jellyrev
Finnish people did not implode their culture. A culture molds the government via voting and then synergizes with civic culture.

Want to be like Finland? Have your citizens adopt finnish culture.
Want to be like another country adopt that culture.

That's a logical fallacy. One does not need to adopt a culture to make an educational system actually work.
edit on 7-2-2017 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: jellyrev

I hope america continues to destroy itself in the name of patriotism.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:04 PM
link   
The USA school system "flounders" because it's primarily run by a deluded liberal system. So, talk to liberals about that one...
edit on 7-2-2017 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kromlech
The USA school system "flounders" because it's primarily run by a deluded liberal system.

It flounders because everyone not just liberals are not pro-active enough, and concerned enough about their children's future.

But bling, video games, and other distractions are wonderful just as long as the children aren't bothering the adults.

posted on Feb, 7 2017 @ 09:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aeshma

Teach your kids to love jesus, murkah, and buddweiser !

Effing hippies.

You do realize that America was doing just fine globally until the Democrats decided to governize the education system...

Government is not a solution. It is a societal cancer that needs to be kept in check or it destroys the host. The Democratic party is the poster child for that.

Murkah indeed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join